Class of 2020 - WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech

The staff wanted Van Dyke - they didnt get him. The staff wanted Gowdy -- they didnt get him (yet). The false equivalence is thinking just because the strength staff et. al turned Josh Black into a monster, they couldnt do the same with a kid like Christian Wilkins.

I'm not concerned with star rankings. I watch the film. I see the offers. I get a sense (often from here) about who the coaches are prioritizing. I can watch Gowdy's film and see the talent gap between him and a nice recruit like Shellman is immense. That doesnt mean I'd be unhappy if Shellman committed, or believe he couldnt be turned into a good player. But who knows what Gowdy could be turned into? You could watch Taj Harris's film and see the way he toyed with the competition, his fluidity, the speed, etc., and see that he was a superior recruit. Same with Gowdy.

I've never once said the sky is falling. I just think the recruiting class so far is not great, it doesnt seem to be on par with our very recent success, I hope it continues to improve, and I hope next year we finally get a windfall. Harrison, McGee, etc., some really explosive recruits we have strong ties to.

How is losing players "false equivalence?" Every single program outside of the top upper echelon loses players that they covet. It isn't "false equivalence" to point out that while we aren't landing Christian Wilkins [borrowing from your example], that we are landing players with much better offer lists like Munoz / Dawson, who are higher rated prospects that the DTs we've landed in the recent past who came before them.

The real fallacy is posters looking only at recruiting ratings, and concluding that we are struggling, that the players we're bringing in aren't up to snuff, and that we aren't improving our roster -- which all stands in marked contrast to what we're seeing unfold on the field.

Would have loved to land Gowdy. So would the coaches. I honestly hope that more information about what transpired tonight comes out and is made public, so that the fanbase can assess how things unfolded.

1-85, we've improved IMMENSELY over where we were three years ago. And the results speak for themselves. Eventually, we will being to land even higher profile caliber recruits. But this class is far better than "not great" -- and I look forward to that being actualized as the season unfolds.

Last edited:
This recruitment is not over. If we have another good year and GT does not produce, I can easily see Gowdy flipping. The size and speed of our athletes is increasing every year. Not worried here at all. We have a lot of young talent and depth at WR. I don’t understand losing your mind over one guy. We have horses in the stable these days.

What I'm most worried about is Babers becoming discouraged.
this. I think babers needs a guy of Monroe’s caliber on the offensive side to help close some deals. We’ve got too many griffs and gerries for assistants.

I guess we can hope GT has some teething problems and some kids get cold feet but it's hard to disagree with your take. It almost seems like we imagined 10 wins last year. The kids don't seem to care much. It's funny how we used to say that recruits don't care about the past when we were losing. I guess they don't care about the present much either. What I'm most worried about is Babers becoming discouraged.
This is where I’m at. Babers has said he thinks he can win a national title here. He believed after last season there would be an uptick in recruiting this class. That hasn’t happened yet. But as long as Dino still believes that it will in the future then I’m fine. Even if it doesn’t happen this class

It had to be family wanting him home. We will lose these sometimes. If we can get the other Florida kid and push ped st u out for mega I will be good. If they don’t choose us then next year after we win more kids will pick us. Kids at some point have to see we are taking 3* kids and putting them in nfl after this year. Now what would we do with a four star or 5* kid. It may take a year or two longer than we thought. I am as pissed that we don’t get the kids N.C. or fl st get but they will see someday soon. Need to shock some people this year in games where we should take over. I can’t wait for the fun to begin.

Kids a talent that would have been a great get. WR is one position we can afford to miss on this year.

There are infinite reasons why a kid picks one school over another. That doesnt change the fact that we wanted "Recruit A" and "Recruit A" chose someone else. 57 of our competitors are supposedly doing better than we are at this point. You can rationalize it anyway you want. I'm not worked up about this. Signing day, as you point out, is a ways away. I just dont like all the excuse making, and the default position that someone who poo-poos the recruiting is somehow automatically "wrong."
I'm not making excuses or rationalizing his choice but rather stating a fact. I was a recruiter for decades, thankfully not of 17 year old children, and I know people make decisions based on outside influences and reasons personal to them. It isn't always what I would think is the best choice.

Last edited:
Best wishes to Gowdy. Life decisions are tough and I wish all kids the best with theirs. I'd love to see him at SU, but honestly, I'm as happy with SU football as I've been since before Gowdy was born. We won 10 games last year with good times ahead. No matter which recruits choose to play at SU, we have coaches that have a system and know how to use the talents of the kids they attract. Don't despair over who doesn't choose SU, rather celebrate the ones that do. We're going to get to live through an exceptional era of SU football...be happy!!

The fact that Monroe was Gowdy's primary recruiter makes this even more ridiculous

I wouldn't say ridiculous. Monroe is definitely having better luck with kids that are going to be on his side of the ball or coached directly by him, which makes sense. Anyone know who McCloud brought in last? Dynamic recruiters can really make a difference. That's why Babers tried to bring Beatty here.

Isn’t it Georgia Institute of Technology? Glad to see we aren’t the only ones who lose recruits to the University of Syracuse syndrome. Maybe this really does mean it’s not over.
It's a hidden message to us.

We make too many excuses. We just lost a big time receiver to a school that hasn’t passed the ball in ten years. It’s a new coach with no experience at this level and SU once again couldn’t get it done. All we heard was we needed to win and we would start bringing in bigger recruits. I still don’t see it happening. It’s pretty discouraging. Gowdy was our only hope for signing a player that’s not a three star. I don’t see this class any better than last years class. I hope it gets better. Sorry to be a Debbie downer.

#FireBabers ! Guy clearly can't get it done

I hope these pessimistic posts age, as I think they will, once Kinsler and KP make their decisions.
It’s amazing the number of “woe is us”-type posts that appear whenever there’s even the tiniest of hiccups, be it in recruiting or a loss during the season.
I’d like to think I’m as pragmatic or realistic as the next person, but it must be miserable having that kind of existence. It’s like everything goes out the window, it’s all downhill from here, & we’re all doooomed because...Bryce Gowdy decided to stay home? Amazing.

If I am getting your point correct, you are wondering if we are going after too many at some positions and not enough at others. If this is the question, my simple answer I don’t know. I would have to know what Coach Babers believes is the ideal number at each position. I do think most teams use LB and DB types to cover kicks. I also think the number per position is a guideline not set in stone. You wouldn’t tell a top recruit they couldn’t come because that position was full.

sounds like the kid prob wanted to stay closer to home. that happens sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom