Class of 2020 - WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech

Wow so we lose another guy top highly touted guy kind of saw this coming but I’m concerned. People can try to spin it anyway you want to but I mean last year we didn’t win the year before and we have a better class last year didn’t we do this year

Wow so we lose another guy top highly touted guy kind of saw this coming but I’m concerned. People can try to spin it anyway you want to but I mean last year we didn’t win the year before and we have a better class last year didn’t we do this year

Are you comparing to this time last year or to how the class finished out last year? I only ask because I was just thinking about how we seem to be recruiting better this year than we were last year at this time.

It’s amazing the number of “woe is us”-type posts that appear whenever there’s even the tiniest of hiccups, be it in recruiting or a loss during the season.
I’d like to think I’m as pragmatic or realistic as the next person, but it must be miserable having that kind of existence. It’s like everything goes out the window, it’s all downhill from here, & we’re all doooomed because...Bryce Gowdy decided to stay home? Amazing.
Please stop mis characterizing anyone who has a concern about our program. Its just as legitimate as those who claim the 'nothing to see' here crowd. Everyone has a valid point and viewpoint. Let us all co-exist. If you want to disagree with that point go ahead but to claim their existence is miserable is a bit much don't you think.

Please stop mis characterizing anyone who has a concern about our program. Its just as legitimate as those who claim the 'nothing to see' here crowd. Everyone has a valid point and viewpoint. Let us all co-exist. If you want to disagree with that point go ahead but to claim their existence is miserable is a bit much don't you think.
One man's "concern", is another man's freak-out.
I appreciate everyone's POV, it's a message board, we're all SU fans (I presume), and so on and so forth. Thanks for the reminder. :rolleyes:
But I see plenty of freaking out in some posts, and rather than call folks out individually, I express MY opinion and calls it as I sees it.
Watching over-reactive snowflakes melting because a HS junior chose to go to another school is fascinating...in a pathetic kinda way. JMHO

The real question is: do you really see intelligent recruiting discourse in the same vein content-wise as those expressing knee jerk reactions full of pessimism, expressing shock that we aren't landing classes of 4- and 5- star recruits already?

Because make no mistake, you're talking about two different groups -- one group might disagree about X or Y, but can discuss recruiting intelligently; doesn't matter whether the posters came to consensus about the topic.
The other group consistently rings alarm bells about the status of recruiting -- as evidenced by the number of threads in June / July bemoaning / lacking perspective on how things are unfolding.

Everyone is certainly entitled to having an opinion, but when said opinion is misinformed then people shouldn't be surprised when there's push back on a message board dedicated to the topic.

And just to be clear, there is an enormous qualitative difference between the two groups described above. I'm not sure why you seem to think that criticism of the second group applies to the first group.

Last edited:
I think Babers, the strength staff, etc., have done a great job coaching up what they have. They also picked up a few nice transfers to bolster the ranks in Robinson, Martin, and hopefully Adams, Alexander and Jackson. We had some great luck with injuries, and some of our opponents were in a tailspin last year.

You operate under this perpetual false equivalency that just because we are ranked, we are talented enough. I guarantee you that there isnt a coach on our staff that doesnt wish we could bring in more talent. They are offering highly thought of recruits for a reason. Berger is still a take, despite having two running backs verballed already, for a reason. There's no such thing in football as having a team that is too fast, too explosive, too strong, too fluid, etc.

Again, we do not operate in a vacuum. Just because we improved, doesnt mean FSU wont jump forward. Or Louisville. Clawson can coach. Doerean can coach. Miami and North Carolina are recruiting studs. Notre Dame and Clemson are pulling top 10 type classes. The improvement is obvious. I think Babers will have a winning program in perpetuity here now. But i think we need better players to become an annual top 25 team.

I love Taj Harris. I've been on record since I saw his HS film as saying he was the most athletic and talented receive we've had since Mike Williams (which pretty much puts him on par with any receive in my lifetime not named Marvin Harrison). It would be awesome to pair him with someone like Gowdy. Not to mention, the top kids want to play with other top kids. The gap between Gowdy and our other wide receiver recruits is immense.

I'm rambling ... here.

You are looking at our recruiting class and basically bashing it based purely on rankings of recruits from pay services that we know are biased towards bigger schools and paying fanbases.

What about the false equivalency of those rankings of players by writers on those pay sites that have not played or coached a down of football in their entire lives.

Other than they can spot an obvious 5 star player much like a 5 year old could, every other player in high school going into college is a crap shoot.

I do know this, Syracuse is now and has always been a developmental school, ask coach Marrone. If that is the case, and currently it is, I have all the faith in the world in our S&C staff as I think they are the best in the business.

Faith is belief without evidence, we now have plenty of evidence.

Enjoy the ride and watch a video of coach Edinger, you will understand.

this. I think babers needs a guy of Monroe’s caliber on the offensive side to help close some deals. We’ve got too many griffs and gerries for assistants.
Babers is a "Hedgehog Concept" guy in my opinion, he knows exactly where he wants to go, knows exactly how he needs to get there from where he is and will do what it takes to get there.

He is driven by being the best he can be, developing young men and most importantly proving that he can be the best in the business anywhere. He CHOSE Syracuse because people said it couldn't be done here.

He is not the type to be discouraged, he knows it can be done here, yes that means compete for a national championship.

Jim Collins - Concepts - The Hedgehog Concept

I for one believe him and I have never met the man in person, I can imagine how he can inspire a young man to be great and work hard to be the best he can be. Same with coach Edinger.

Who on here thought that Cisco would be an All American when he was recruited?

Who on the board thought Coleman and Robinson would be the best DE tandem on the country when they were recruited?

Who thought Szmyt would become an All American when he walked on? Who even knew who the hell he was before the season started?

Who thought Ken Ruff would develop from a linebacker into a ridiculously good DT? How often does that happen anywhere?

All our RB's were three star but who on here doesn't think that we have a backfield loaded with talent that can compete anywhere in any conference? Oh, didn't Moe Neal arrive here a biscuit shy of 165 lbs, look at that dude now.

Awful lot of outliers on last years team to be coincidence, just sayin.

Recruiting is not a science, nobody knows how 17-19 year old kids are going to develop.

Who on here thought that Cisco would be an All American when he was recruited?

Who on the board thought Coleman and Robinson would be the best DE tandem on the country when they were recruited?

Who thought Szmyt would become an All American when he walked on? Who even knew who the hell he was before the season started?

Who thought Ken Ruff would develop from a linebacker into a ridiculously good DT? How often does that happen anywhere?

All our RB's were three star but who on here doesn't think that we have a backfield loaded with talent that can compete anywhere in any conference? Oh, didn't Moe Neal arrive here a biscuit shy of 165 lbs, look at that dude now.

Awful lot of outliers on last years team to be coincidence, just sayin.

Recruiting is not a science, nobody knows how 17-19 year old kids are going to develop.

All of this, and I would add Taj Harris (former HS QB) to the mix.

Plus, it's not like we didn't beat out a ton of schools for Tommy DeVito.

It's different than recruiting at a powerhouse, but not completely hopeless. There's plenty of talent out there.

I appreciate everyone's POV, it's a message board, we're all SU fans (I presume), and so on and so forth. Thanks for the reminder. :rolleyes:
But I see plenty of freaking out in some posts, and rather than call folks out individually, I express MY opinion and calls it as I sees it.
Watching over-reactive snowflakes melting because a HS junior chose to go to another school is fascinating...in a pathetic kinda way. JMHO
Here we go again. Calling people pathetic snowflakes with eyerolls galore because someone has a negative reaction. I think there's alot of projection in that post.

Last edited:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but just a thought...

Some people might see this type of post as freaking out over others "freaking out." All things are relative.

I think Babers, the strength staff, etc., have done a great job coaching up what they have. They also picked up a few nice transfers to bolster the ranks in Robinson, Martin, and hopefully Adams, Alexander and Jackson. We had some great luck with injuries, and some of our opponents were in a tailspin last year.

You operate under this perpetual false equivalency that just because we are ranked, we are talented enough. I guarantee you that there isnt a coach on our staff that doesnt wish we could bring in more talent. They are offering highly thought of recruits for a reason. Berger is still a take, despite having two running backs verballed already, for a reason. There's no such thing in football as having a team that is too fast, too explosive, too strong, too fluid, etc.

Again, we do not operate in a vacuum. Just because we improved, doesnt mean FSU wont jump forward. Or Louisville. Clawson can coach. Doerean can coach. Miami and North Carolina are recruiting studs. Notre Dame and Clemson are pulling top 10 type classes. The improvement is obvious. I think Babers will have a winning program in perpetuity here now. But i think we need better players to become an annual top 25 team.

I love Taj Harris. I've been on record since I saw his HS film as saying he was the most athletic and talented receive we've had since Mike Williams (which pretty much puts him on par with any receive in my lifetime not named Marvin Harrison). It would be awesome to pair him with someone like Gowdy. Not to mention, the top kids want to play with other top kids. The gap between Gowdy and our other wide receiver recruits is immense.

I'm rambling ... here.

You are looking at our recruiting class and basically bashing it based purely on rankings of recruits from pay services that we know are biased ...
None of you are the arbiters of football, recruiting, talent level etc. get off your high horses.
I am the arbiter of determining which head coach gets credit for recruiting a player into a program, tbh.

[/QUOTE]
You are looking at our recruiting class and basically bashing it based purely on rankings of recruits from pay services that we know are biased towards bigger schools and paying fanbases.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong. I couldn’t have been clearer that is absolutely not what I do. Nor was “bashing” the class.

I was out of this thread cause I said my piece and am willing to simply disagree. But the baseless accusations, the calling people ignorant, stupid, incapable of getting it, etc., is obnoxious, not warranted, and frankly rude to people who have literally given hundreds of thousands to the university, and thousands more to the athletic department.

None of you are the arbiters of football, recruiting, talent level etc. get off your high horses. If you don’t like someone’s opinion, simply ignore their posts rather than name call and acting all self righteously indignant.

I'm rambling ... here.

You are looking at our recruiting class and basically bashing it based purely on rankings of recruits from pay services that we know are biased ...
None of you are the arbiters of football, recruiting, talent level etc. get off your high horses.
I am the arbiter of determining which head coach gets credit for recruiting a player into a program, tbh.

This nesting thing is a trip.

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. I couldn’t have been clearer that is absolutely not what I do. Nor was “bashing” the class.

I was out of this thread cause I said my piece and am willing to simply disagree. But the baseless accusations, the calling people ignorant, stupid, incapable of getting it, etc., is obnoxious, not warranted, and frankly rude to people who have literally given hundreds of thousands to the university, and thousands more to the athletic department.

None of you are the arbiters of football, recruiting, talent level etc. get off your high horses. If you don’t like someone’s opinion, simply ignore their posts rather than name call and acting all self righteously indignant.
[/QUOTE]

Amen brother! The vast majority of us are all here because we share one main thing in common, our passion/love for SU & its major sports programs. And, wanting nothing more than attaining the greatest of successes.

Last edited:

I'm rambling ... here.

I think it's for the birds.

I'm rambling ... here.

I think it's for the birds.

Come for the takes, stay for the Dad jokes.