Class of 2020 - WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech

How many WRs and QBs have we had drafted in the last 3 years?
A recruit who cared enough to do 5 seconds of homework, or who was getting sound advice, would look at AET and see that even when you can put up gaudy numbers, you might not stick in the NFL based solely on talent alone. Perhaps that's the reason that we haven't placed many in the NFL in the last 3 years. But no, kids are content to ask the bare question and leave it at that.

Pisses me off to no end. The snap, quick response is not a valid answer.

A recruit who cared enough to do 5 seconds of homework, or who was getting sound advice, would look at AET and see that even when you can put up gaudy numbers, you might not stick in the NFL based solely on talent alone. Perhaps that's the reason that we haven't placed many in the NFL in the last 3 years. But no, kids are content to ask the bare question and leave it at that.

Or they could look at Allen Robinson and Chris Godwin

Fact of the matter is most kids want to play in the NFL. They see Chris Godwin and Allen Robinson and they think "wow, PSU can get me to the league and get me paid".

They see AET/Ishmael/Custis and they can look at numbers but none of those guys are successes in the NFL. Our system has not produced NFL players yet on offense. Until that changes kids are going to look at schools that have.

Hopefully Custis can be that guy.

Fact of the matter is most kids want to play in the NFL. They see Chris Godwin and Allen Robinson and they think "wow, PSU can get me to the league and get me paid".

They see AET/Ishmael/Custis and they can look at numbers but none of those guys are successes in the NFL. Our system has not produced NFL players yet on offense. Until that changes kids are going to look at schools that have.

I doubt Custis will be the guy on Godwin/Robinson level. Will probably have to wait for Harris, IMO.

In the meantime, keep winning and it will all take care of itself.

The SU-NFL history (or lack thereof) at WR is undeniable. Hopefully Custis sticks.

Last edited:

When we start putting WR's in the NFL regularly, the system will have very little to do with it, IMO. Our S&C staff will have more of an impact than the system.

2 years ago, Dabo said that Ish and Erv were the best pair of receivers they were going to face in conference that year. And they were both very good. But hey, the heck with 'Cuse, they don't put anyone into the NFL!

I wonder if recruits ever ask, "Could those guys have made it to the NFL from some other team?" as part of their analysis. If they don't, then their coach or parents should.

The NFL is a meat market and some guys will never get a sniff, no matter what. Nothing groundbreaking there. But this whole exercise is silly, because in large part it's just a stupid, unexamined tautology. "They don't put guys into the NFL because they didn't successfully recruit guys who can get into the NFL." In and of itself, that's not a great insight on which to base one's college choice.

This SU-NFL history (or lack thereof) at WR is undeniable. Hopefully Custi sticks.

You mean "recent history". SU's WRs are among the all-time greats - Marvin Harrison, Rob Moore, Art Monk, etc. Yes, those are "my father's generation", but to say we lack NFL "history" is incorrect.

I've read and heard (on podcasts) that there is a belief among NFL people that the "Baylor offense" doesn't translate to the NFL. It goes back to the feeding of plays to the QBs as well as the route trees WRs are expected to learn.
What Does a Route Tree Mean to Jets Rookie Receivers?

I heard just last week on the Ringer's NFL podcast that Bryce Petty didn't know what a Mike LB was when he got into the league.

Gailey: Petty had to learn ‘everything’ when he got to Jets

We run the Baylor offense? I thought we ran the Syracuse offense.

Ay, yo. It's easy to put wideouts in the NFL when you haul in 4 and 5 star wideouts from high school. Very easy.

How about asking the question, would AET ever had had a sniff at the NFL if he didn't come to Syracuse? The answer is, no way Jose. Syracuse puts undraftable wide receivers on the map. Imagine what it could do with high caliber recruits

Last edited:
Ay, yo. It's easy to put wideouts in the NFL when you haul in 4 and 5 star wideouts from high school. Very easy.

How about asking the question, would AET ever had had a sniff at the NFL if he didn't come to Syracuse? The answer is, no way Jose. Syracuse puts undraftable wide receivers on the map. Imagine what it could do with high caliber recruits
Great point.

I've read and heard (on podcasts) that there is a belief among NFL people that the "Baylor offense" doesn't translate to the NFL. It goes back to the feeding of plays to the QBs as well as the route trees WRs are expected to learn.
What Does a Route Tree Mean to Jets Rookie Receivers?

I heard just last week on the Ringer's NFL podcast that Bryce Petty didn't know what a Mike LB was when he got into the league.

Gailey: Petty had to learn ‘everything’ when he got to Jets
We don't run the Baylor Offense, the only thing that Dino took from Bryles really was the up tempo system. Everything else is all Dino and how he likes to play.

Go back to last year and watch the BC game and count how many times we run power compared to Baylor. We ran more power in that game than Baylor would run in a season. How many times a game did Baylor pull guards and tackles to run inside? Very rarely, other than tempo the offenses are very different.

We don't run the Baylor Offense, the only thing that Dino took from Bryles really was the up tempo system. Everything else is all Dino and how he likes to play.

Go back to last year and watch the BC game and count how many times we run power compared to Baylor. We ran more power in that game than Baylor would run in a season. How many times a game did Baylor pull guards and tackles to run inside? Very rarely, other than tempo the offenses are very different.
Eh...I disagree with this. You are absolutely right that Dino has put in alot of unique wrinkles in the run game. Alot of that stuff is situational, you saw it the most in red zone and short yardage situations, but yes the power and counter-iso type stuff was not a part of the Briles/Baylor system. Saying that it's only tempo is misleading. The extreme spread formation read-tag-and-go run at high tempo, the veer option to vertical routes, that's all Briles/Baylor. From what I see, when you see them run at tempo they are running the Baylor offense: they're lining up, the qb makes a pre-snap read and calls out a tag and they snap the ball. When you see them slowing down and checking pre-snap, they're mixing it up and often running other stuff. Maybe we're saying the same thing and that's what you mean by "up tempo system", just trying to make the distinction that the concepts are the same in addition to tempo.

You might want to read How Baylor used isolation run concepts from spread offensive sets
The "Baylor" offense uses the run to set up the pass most of the time. Baylor pulled tackles/guards depending on the defensive front. The offense is set up on fast pace and reading and reacting to the defense set up.

Never thought of it that way. Nice.

IMO he knows he's bad ass and he expects to be courted intensely by potential suitors.
Would I like to corral him - yes. Would he be a contributing teammate (like a Taj Harris or a Sean Riley) or a high maintenance prima donna (like a Dez Bryant or Terrel Owens) - don't know.
It's strange, I champion guys that are not only highly talented, but also a force for camaraderie in the weight room/locker room - y'know, a generative, dutiful and self-sacrificing teammate. I know it's just football and not D-Day, but a former boy can hope.

Just idle speculation on my part based on a few posts I've processed and my own flawed judgment.

My next post will be more upbeat - especially if it's in that hilarious Casey Case thread where DJ Casey Kasem goes off on his production staff for staging a dedication to a dead dog after an up tempo tune. Just precious. Casey Kasem ranting: "Why am I doing a tribute to a dead dog after an upbeat tune. God D*mmit, who the fooks idea is this?"

Sorry to cross thread this thing. It's just too funny:

talk about 'putting kids into the nfl' is unfortunately so stupid sometimes. This kid could go to SUNY Cortland and he'll play in the NFL.

Last edited:

I agree with this. We are kind of a "Smash Mouth Baylor Offense".