Class of 2020 - WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Bryce Gowdy (FL) Verbal to Ga Tech

I doubt Custis will be the guy on Godwin/Robinson level. Will probably have to wait for Harris, IMO.

In the meantime, keep winning and it will all take care of itself.

I think so too - probably looking at Jackson/Harris/Hendrix on the current roster, one of those 3.

Eh...I disagree with this. You are absolutely right that Dino has put in alot of unique wrinkles in the run game. Alot of that stuff is situational, you saw it the most in red zone and short yardage situations, but yes the power and counter-iso type stuff was not a part of the Briles/Baylor system. Saying that it's only tempo is misleading. The extreme spread formation read-tag-and-go run at high tempo, the veer option to vertical routes, that's all Briles/Baylor. From what I see, when you see them run at tempo they are running the Baylor offense: they're lining up, the qb makes a pre-snap read and calls out a tag and they snap the ball. When you see them slowing down and checking pre-snap, they're mixing it up and often running other stuff. Maybe we're saying the same thing and that's what you mean by "up tempo system", just trying to make the distinction that the concepts are the same in addition to tempo.
I said go back and watch the BC game for a reason, the sportscasters mention specifically that Dino only "took the up-tempo portion of the Baylor offense" the rest is all him.

Also, the power runs that Dino runs are actually the same Counter-Trey type power runs from the old Packers and Washington Redskins offenses. They aren't new in an y way shape or form.

Dino relies on them as a staples in this offense, Baylor uses them to set up the pass, very different philosophies. And technically every offense uses either the run or pass to set up the other.

Eh...I disagree with this. You are absolutely right that Dino has put in alot of unique wrinkles in the run game. Alot of that stuff is situational, you saw it the most in red zone and short yardage situations, but yes the power and counter-iso type stuff was not a part of the Briles/Baylor system. Saying that it's only tempo is misleading. The extreme spread formation read-tag-and-go run at high tempo, the veer option to vertical routes, that's all Briles/Baylor. From what I see, when you see them run at tempo they are running the Baylor offense: they're lining up, the qb makes a pre-snap read and calls out a tag and they snap the ball. When you see them slowing down and checking pre-snap, they're mixing it up and often running other stuff. Maybe we're saying the same thing and that's what you mean by "up tempo system", just trying to make the distinction that the concepts are the same in addition to tempo.
I said go back and watch the BC game for a reason, the sportscasters mention specifically that Dino only "took the up-tempo portion of the Baylor offense" the rest is all him.

Also, the power runs that Dino runs are actually the same Counter-Trey type power runs from the old Packers and Washington Redskins offenses. They aren't new in an y way shape or form.

Dino relies on them as a staples in this offense, Baylor uses them to set up the pass, very different philosophies. And technically every offense uses either the run or pass to set up the other.
This would be a great argument...for the main board. :)

Please keep this thread specifically focused on Bryce Gowdy. Thanks!

I wish more people could see this. There is a strong misperception that Dino is a air raid guy. Ive sat in 4 different clinics of his. He barely mentions passing. When he speaks you feel his passion for the power run game. Up tempo, quick pass/RPO concepts he took from his Baylor experience.

Helps with Maiga though
How would you rank the WR prospects in terms of priority? Gowdy, Meiga, Poitier, Barber then Vines?

Assuming they would take up to 4 of these guys due to talent assuming the stars magically aligned. We have to get at least 1 of these 5, plus another decent prospect or else this is a disappointment.

Last edited:
How would you rank the WR prospects in terms of priority? Gowdy, Meiga, Poitier, Barber then Vines?

Assuming they would take up to 4 of these guys due to talent assuming the stars magically aligned. We have to get at least 1 of these 5.

Not bnoro but if I had to guess...

1) Meiga
2) Gowdy
3) Poitier
4) Vines/Barber

I honestly believe 1-3 are take no matter what type of guys.

Not bnoro but if I had to guess...

1) Meiga
2) Gowdy
3) Poitier
4) Vines/Barber

I honestly believe 1-3 are take no matter what type of guys.

I think Gowdy might be first but pretty close between him and Meiga

I don’t know who wrote this but somebody on this board mentioned seeing many of these players in person. It sounded like Gowdy was really impressive and Meiga looked good not great. Not saying that will translate to anything, just an observation. Gowdy/Poitier have also been exposed to the better competition by far than the others.

I don’t know who wrote this but somebody on this board mentioned seeing many of these players in person. It sounded like Gowdy was really impressive and Meiga looked good not great. Not saying that will translate to anything, just an observation. Gowdy/Poitier have also been exposed to the better competition by far than the others.

I don't recall ever reading that. Not saying it's not true, but do not recall this at all.

There are about 4 kids who people are really raving about as WR prospects. I just hope we get 2 of them. Gowdy seems like there are maybe too many other schools involved at this point. Poitier looked outstanding to me, and like you said, both have played against top competition in Florida.

Just seems like there has been more positive chatter around Meiga and Poitier...Happy to be wrong about Gowdy but just doesn’t seem like there is heavy interest there by him. Who knows, maybe he plays his cards close to his chest. Getting any one of Meiga, Gowdy or Poitier would be a huge get for Cuse no doubt.

Just seems like there has been more positive chatter around Meiga and Poitier...Happy to be wrong about Gowdy but just doesn’t seem like there is heavy interest there by him. Who knows, maybe he plays his cards close to his chest. Getting any one of Meiga, Gowdy or Poitier would be a huge get for Cuse no doubt.
By all accounts the staff/SU made a significant impact on Gowdy.

By all accounts the staff/SU made a significant impact on Gowdy.
Just caught up on the reading and Gowdy definitely had some nice things to say about HCDFB. That said he clearly called out some other schools as favorites. So while Babers may have made a great impression, I am not sure Cuse moved the chains with him. Thats fine...5 years ago a guy like him would not have even visited and now we have three high end WRs visiting and from the sounds of it have a legit chance with at least 2. Thats a good thing. It takes time...Rome wasn’t built in a day (or one good season) but there sure is room for optimism.

Just caught up on the reading and Gowdy definitely had some nice things to say about HCDFB. That said he clearly called out some other schools as favorites. So while Babers may have made a great impression, I am not sure Cuse moved the chains with him. Thats fine...5 years ago a guy like him would not have even visited and now we have three high end WRs visiting and from the sounds of it have a legit chance with at least 2. Thats a good thing. It takes time...Rome wasn’t built in a day (or one good season) but there sure is room for optimism.
I agree with the verbiage, but I liked this post just because you called him HCDFB!