WR corps | Syracusefan.com

WR corps

RF2044

Living Legend
Right now, this unit has a lot of question marks--but what is the likelihood that they rise to the occasion and transform the perception of this unit into a position of strength?

--West is a nice building block--will he take the next step and emerge as a guy to guy?

--I believe that Kobena [3rd year] is on the cusp of being an impact player--will he fulfill those expectations?

--Don't know what to expect from Flemming, but if he lives up to the hype and produces this unit is starting to look stronger.

--Will we be able to make use of Clark's speed, and will he put pressure on opposing safeties?

--Will Cornelius continue the tradition of frosh receivers having a big impact their first year?

--Is Lewis as good as reported in the slot from last year's scrimmage?

--Can Funderburk be a game changer?

--Will Avant / Winfield earn PT?

--What does Estime bring to the table?

Its going to be exciting to see how this unit shapes up. Big question marks today, but I have a feeling we'll be singing a different tune once the games start. The coaches have a lot of raw materials to work with.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Just based on sheer numbers, we should be able to assemble a serviceable WR unit.

I loved their toughness but I'm glad we're past the point of having to roll out Van Chew on 1 leg or Alec Lemon with 1 hand.

Just throw it to estine!!!! And you are good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And just to build on the above, I know that there are a lot more elements that need to fall into place to have a successful passing attack than just the play of the wide receivers. We need the OL to continue their strong play from last year despite having lots of new faces in the two-deep, and one of the QBs needs to show that they can get the job done.

I'm more confident in the latter than the former.

Just based on sheer numbers, we should be able to assemble a serviceable WR unit.

I loved their toughness but I'm glad we're past the point of having to roll out Van Chew on 1 leg or Alec Lemon with 1 hand.

I wouldn't necessarily say "serviceable", but I think we can put together a very solid WR unit this year. There is alot of talent at that spot.

We are stocked (finally) I am not the least bit concerned about the WR corps because remember when The Dougie first arrived it was more like a wide receiver corpse!

Good call on West.

I don't know that we need him to be a go-to, as much as a WR to revolve the passing game around.

I think he can open up the field for Kobena and Funderburke - my picks to step up.

HCDM WR corps year one:

1) Mike Williams
5) Marcus Sales
7) Dontae Davis
11) Lavar Lobdell
15) Alec Lemon
81) Cody Mmorgan
82) Van Chew
83) Olie Taylor
84) Michael Acchione

Sales and Lemon were unproven at the time. Williams was a stud. Lobdell I think most would agree underachieved. Van Chew weighed 36 pounds at the time.

Still, a better stable than I remembered, nowhere near the depth though.

Was Trey still here?

Right now, this unit has a lot of question marks--but what is the likelihood that they rise to the occasion and transform the perception of this unit into a position of strength?

--West is a nice building block--will he take the next step and emerge as a guy to guy?

--I believe that Kobena [3rd year] is on the cusp of being an impact player--will he fulfill those expectations?

--Don't know what to expect from Flemming, but if he lives up to the hype and produces this unit is starting to look stronger.

--Will we be able to make use of Clark's speed, and will he put pressure on opposing safeties?

--Will Cornelius continue the tradition of frosh receivers having a big impact their first year?

--Is Lewis as good as reported in the slot from last year's scrimmage?

--Can Funderburk be a game changer?

--Will Avant / Winfield earn PT?

--What does Estime bring to the table?

Its going to be exciting to see how this unit shapes up. Big question marks today, but I have a feeling we'll be singing a different tune once the games start. The coaches have a lot of raw materials to work with.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Biggest question mark on the entire team in my opinion. A lot of people are putting stock in several players who have as many catches at the Div 1 level as me and you combined. I have been high on Flemming since day 1 but were in year 4 and he cant stay on the field, really hope he can have a breakout type of season with at least 20+ catches. The good news is there are a ton of options but just as many questions marks. Hoping that between Funderburk, Avant, Winfield, and Estime someone can break out. I think Lewis and Cornelius are probably a year away, Lewis for sure. The X factor is Broyld I am pretty sure he will play a majority of his snaps at WR and could be a huge help for the position. I guess my bottom line thought woudl be that West has to take that next step and be a #1 WR, if he doesn't this unit will probably struggle as I dont see many other options who can be a go to WR outside of west at least at this point in there careers.

HCDM WR corps year one:

1) Mike Williams
5) Marcus Sales
7) Dontae Davis
11) Lavar Lobdell
15) Alec Lemon
81) Cody Mmorgan
82) Van Chew
83) Olie Taylor
84) Michael Acchione

Sales and Lemon were unproven at the time. Williams was a stud. Lobdell I think most would agree underachieved. Van Chew weighed 36 pounds at the time.

Still, a better stable than I remembered, nowhere near the depth though.

Was Trey still here?

Which is why Alec was pressed intoi service his first year which definitely affects play calling. Basically 4 serviceable receiver on that list which is why I referred to it as a receiving corpse

i truly think kobena can be a beast this year, if not for that injury early last year he would have had a hell of a year i think. he started off great lets just hope West becomes a legit No. 1 in the O, he is tough and big so I hope he can relieve some pressure on allen or hunt.

i truly think kobena can be a beast this year, if not for that injury early last year he would have had a hell of a year i think. he started off great lets just hope West becomes a legit No. 1 in the O, he is tough and big so I hope he can relieve some pressure on allen or hunt.

West is going to be a leader this year I follow him on the tweeter machine and he has been grinding like crazy and more importantly wants to be a leader. There is also the fact that his cuz is comin next year so he needs to impress for family bragging rights.

Would love to see this at the end of the year, but my prediction for leaders in yardage this season:

West - 1,000
Flemming - 600
Kobena - 400
QF - 300
Chris Clark - 300
Alvin/Brisly/Ashton/Ben - 300 combined
PTG - 250

Would love to see this at the end of the year, but my prediction for leaders in yardage this season:

West - 1,000
Flemming - 600
Kobena - 400
QF - 300
Chris Clark - 300
PTG - 250

bnoro I like it but I think you underestimate QF IMHO he was doing great on scout last year but then slipped back in the spring because he had to concentrate on grades I think the kid wants to prove himself and will.

They're going up against a really good set of DB's in practice. I'd like to think the quality in that position group will bring out the best in the WR's and of course have the worthy rise to the top.

Can someone confirm what the staff was saying about Funderburke last season? Weren't some people saying someone on the staff said he was the best WR on the roster, or was just rumors? I have a feeling people are righting him off while he may be one of our best options.

Can someone confirm what the staff was saying about Funderburke last season? Weren't some people saying someone on the staff said he was the best WR on the roster, or was just rumors? I have a feeling people are righting him off while he may be one of our best options.
He was one of the best WR's in practice last year. But I have tempered my reactions for the time being, hence the 300 yard prediction. Let's see how he does in camp.

West - 1,000
Flemming - 600
Kobena - 400
QF - 300
Chris Clark - 300
PTG - 250

I will be thrilled if we throw for over 3,000 (your math lands at 3,150). You'd have to think we'll run for 2,000. Over 12 games, that would be about a 420 yard average for a first year OC with a first year QB. And a team that should have a good defense.

I will be thrilled if we throw for over 3,000 (your math lands at 3,150). You'd have to think we'll run for 2,000. Over 12 games, that would be about a 420 yard average for a first year OC with a first year QB. And a team that should have a good defense.

and that doesn't even add in the TE contribution - sign me up

Yeah, I don't see us passing for those numbers this season.

3k yards would be second in school history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom