Class of 2025 - WR Darien Williams (NY: CBA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/16/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 WR Darien Williams (NY: CBA) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/16/24)

LOL. Seriously, Dino is a good man, as far as I know, but Fran is just such an elite recruiter as are Elijah and Nick, we are so fortunate on that front
Well, that's the difference. Dino could not assemble a group of assistant coaches/recruiters that could get his done. So, his truth that "nobody" could do what Fran is doing is true. But, nobody doesn't include a group of positively ELITE recruiters. Who would have thought we could get this here. As far as I know, only one person, John Wildhack.

Well, that's the difference. Dino could not assemble a group of assistant coaches/recruiters that could get his done. So, his truth that "nobody" could do what Fran is doing is true. But, nobody doesn't include a group of positively ELITE recruiters. Who would have thought we could get this here. As far as I know, only one person, John Wildhack.
You’ll never hear me use phrases like “losers mentality” because that’s unfair in almost all instances. These coaches try really hard and in a lot of cases, it just doesn’t work out. However, when Dino essentially “gave up” in many games and also essentially made excuses for losses against tough opponents “before” actually playing said games, well, I don’t actually think he ever really believed he could win here. I think as soon as the going got a little bit tough, he called it quits very early in his tenure. And I think it showed in the vibe recruits got at Syracuse and he couldn’t pull any. I also don’t think he was ever a good coach to begin with, which might’ve also turned recruits away.

To be fair, guys like Schafer were equally inept. Fran Brown believes in himself. When you listen to him talk, you can feel it. The other most recent coaches we’ve had sounded like they were just trying not to be found out that they were just imposters. Fran gives you confidence.

I’m not sure Wiltfong has ever commented on Syracuse recruiting, ever. Now he’s the first guy breaking news for us. He’s usually the National blue blood guy. He’s like a spoke person now. Clearly in someone’s pocket whether it’s Fran or Eli but Im loving it.
I heard him on a show. He said very simply (I’m paraphrasing). “I haven’t covered Syracuse extensively in recent years because there was nothing to cover. With Fran Brown there’s actually something to cover.”

I think we have to realize, the recruits we were attracting prior to Fran just weren’t worth covering. They were average to below average. Nothing to see here. And, clearly it showed on the field.

Fran is targeting a new level of recruit worth the coverage. Just as simple as that.

Fran is special, and he is from here. Dino was and will always be a west coast guy. There is a reason Fran reached out to JW and went hard to get this gig. He knew he was going to crush it. Knew that SU was a sleeping giant.

I think with the way the Ahmad thing ended and Fran’s dislike of PSU, this was a sweet recruiting win.

We have to start winning our share of recruiting battles with the crumbling empire. This was a good start.

Williams really exploded on the scene in CBA’s run to the state championship game. I believe he had 3 TDs in the quarter final and the championship game and was named the MVP in both games.

Just dominated those games.

Last edited:
The Dino disses in this thread are really unnecessary. Fran is a cut above 98% of coaches in the recruiting department. You can insert any name coach and Fran's recruiting will prove superior, as well as his ability to build relationships. I think this is getting obvious.

Dino had flaws. Fran will have flaws. But let's just be happy that Fran is Syrcause, and recruiting is skyrocketing

What do you think the over/under is for the number of four stars Fran gets this year?
I feel like 5.5 is the O/U for the HS players (transfers not included). But I know this recruit will be one eventually in my opinion. No way he stays 3 star, his speed is so elite.

I feel like 5.5 is the O/U for the HS players (transfers not included). But I know this recruit will be one eventually in my opinion. No way he stays 3 star, his speed is so elite.
I know that we are playing a different game now but I will believe that 'Cuse commits are allowed to move up a star when I see it. lol

I think with the way the Ahmad thing ended and Fran’s dislike of PSU, this was a sweet recruiting win.

We have to start winning our share of recruiting battles with the crumbling empire. This was a good start.

Williams really exploded on the scene in CBA’s run to the state championship game. I believe he had 3 TDs in the quarter final and the championship game and was named the MVP in both games.

Just dominated those games.
This was definitely Fran claiming NY for Syracuse.

What do you think the over/under is for the number of four stars Fran gets this year?
This is a very foreign question for us Syracuse fans to consider. We just don’t historically get many 4 star players.

But in 2024, according to 247 composite rankings, we got 4. Super unusual. If memory serves, Tremble was Dino’s, but Fran got the other 3. It was an historic class.

But let’s look at how the other ACC schools did recruiting 4 stars in 2024.

FSU 16
Miami 11
Clemson 11
UNC 6
NC State 5
Syracuse 4
(Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech also got 4)

Strange is a composite 4 star already. Darius Williams is close right now and I think it is likely he is going to have a great senior season and also end up a 4 star. Lawrence only has an offer from us, comes from a school without a lot of visibility and is probably going to end up a 3 star.

This is probably going to be a medium sized class. Maybe 15-20 players? I expect we will take at least 5 guys from the portal (and continued attrition in this new age of college football). So there won’t be that many opportunities to get big numbers here.

My guess is we end up taking 16 players and half of them, yes half of them end up being 4 stars. So I am setting the over/under for 4 stars at 8.

That said, I am an optimist. That might be high. But I wouldn’t underestimate what Coach Brown and his staff are capable of.

Let’s see what happens. Others are welcome to chime in with their opinions.

Fran and company don't screw around.
No he doesn't. When Fran Brown came to Syracuse and was hired said that he was going to put SU football program back on the map where they once were as a highly and respected program. I for one can say that he and his staff are well on their way to full filling that commitment. A Huge Ty HCFB. Go Orange

This is a very foreign question for us Syracuse fans to consider. We just don’t historically get many 4 star players.

But in 2024, according to 247 composite rankings, we got 4. Super unusual. If memory serves, Tremble was Dino’s, but Fran got the other 3. It was an historic class.

FSU 16
Miami 11
Clemson 11
UNC 6
NC State 5
Syracuse 4

Strange is a composite 4 star already. Darius Williams is close right now and I think it is likely he is going to have a great senior season and also end up a 4 star. Lawrence only has an offer from us, comes from a school without a lot of visibility and is probably going to end up a 3 star.

This is probably going to be a medium sized class. Maybe 15-20 players? I expect we will take at least 5 guys from the portal (and continued attrition in this new age of college football). So there won’t be that many opportunities to get big numbers here.

My guess is we end up taking 16 players and half of them, yes half of them end up being 4 stars. So I am setting the over/under for 4 stars at 8.

That said, I am an optimist. That might be high. But I wouldn’t underestimate what Coach Brown and his staff are capable of.

Thanks for the info, but dang that’s a huge discrepancy from the top (FSU, Miami & Clemson). Hopefully Fran can close the 4* gap soon over the next couple of years.

FSU 16
Miami 11
Clemson 11
UNC 6
NC State 5
Syracuse 4

Thank you for this information, I appreciate you gathering it for us.

To your point, I also can’t help but to wonder what our total of 4 stars would be if we included our 3 stars who were projected as 4 stars right before committing to us?

party GIF