Class of 2021 - WR Devaughn Cooper (CA) PWO Transfer from Arizona / UTEP | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Devaughn Cooper (CA) PWO Transfer from Arizona / UTEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Last edited:
Can't hurt. Experienced player, to help offset a young group of wide receivers behind only two proven players..

396D5D4C-393D-432F-A945-6EE7C69848E5.jpeg

How exactly does this dude have 2 years of elegibility left? This dude graduated high school in 2016. He gets a redshirt year, an additional year due to injury later on and then a covid year?!? That doesn't seem right to me but whatevs. Welcome to the Cuse!

He played 3 games in 2016 with Arizona
He played 7 games in 2017 with Arizona
He played all 12 games in 2018 with Arizona
He played in 4 games in 2019 with UTEP (and they claim he got a redshirt this year)
He played in 8 games in 2020 with UTEP (Covid year)

Devaughn Cooper - Football - UTEP Miners

How exactly does this dude have 2 years of elegibility left? This dude graduated high school in 2016. He gets a redshirt year, an additional year due to injury later on and then a covid year?!? That doesn't seem right to me but whatevs. Welcome to the Cuse!

He played in 4 games in 2019 with UTEP (and they claim he got a redshirt this year)

This is kind of amazing. So 2019 was the first year of the 4 games and still redshirt rule (Like Jawhar Jordan did). Last year didn't count for anyone, so he's a redshirt junior.

good get, I remember this kid when he visited with Riley. he has a traditional redshirt year, a medical redshirt year and a Covid freebie, there's your 7 years, crazy!

This is kind of amazing. So 2019 was the first year of the 4 games and still redshirt rule (Like Jawhar Jordan did). Last year didn't count for anyone, so he's a redshirt junior.
So the 4 game redshirt rule came to be in 2018 I believe? So If it happened in 2016 he can still consider that a traditional redshirt year? Not sure I knew that.

So the 4 game redshirt rule came to be in 2018 I believe? So If it happened in 2016 he can still consider that a traditional redshirt year? Not sure I knew that.
Now I'm doubting myself. The 2019 thing is where I'm assuming the Redshirt year comes in. But you're right. That should have been RS Senior year, not junior year. Unless he got hurt early in his freshman year too.

good get, I remember this kid when he visited with Riley. he has a traditional redshirt year, a medical redshirt year and a Covid freebie, there's your 7 years, crazy!
Yes he took an official visit...way back when.

Yes he took an official visit...way back when.

I bet he’s blown away by the improvements to Archbold Field since then. :p

This kid will get his college diploma and his AARP card at the same ceremony.

Player/Coach

Only played 3 games before a season ending injury in 2016. Got a redshirt.

Redshirted again in 2019.

Definitely a low risk take with a potential high reward. He was a much better prospect than Riley in high school. If he can provide reps in the slot that would be very nice.

was 2016 a medical redshirt?

2 things:
1. Looking at his stats over the years he has played at Arizona and UTEP, I will be surprised if he contributes as a WR. If he does it will tell me a lot about the current WRs on roster.
2. The picture on the tweet: his hand placement is off. HIs eyes are looking upwards and both hands are down. At least his right hand is up higher, but his left hand is facing upward at his mid-section on a ball above his eyes. Either that ball has no velocity and is going to drop like a sinker or his hands are way off. Either way, the hands should be making a triangle, not in opposite directions. Both hands should only be facing upward if the ball is below his waist.

Last edited:
I have no expectations with Cooper. What ever he gives us will be a plus.

Platoon depth, and an experienced guy who has played in collegiate games.

We only have two proven commodities at WR. While I expect a few of the younger guys to ascend into bigger roles, it would be nice to have an experienced guy like Cooper contribute as a 5th, 6th option type of guy in the depth chart.

If he does that, it will be a solid pickup. Zero risk, since it didn't tie up a scholarship.

Status
Not open for further replies.