Class of 2018 - WR Drake Harris (Michigan) Grad Transfer to WMU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 WR Drake Harris (Michigan) Grad Transfer to WMU

Also, he's from Grand Rapids. SU opens the 2018 season less than an hour away from home.

Baber's staff has shown an ability to coach up WRs. Amba accomplished nothing at Maryland, we turned him into All-ACC selection. Ish had a very mediocre year in 2016, in 2017 he became an ALL-ACC selection. Erv was completely transformed as well. I believe there are likely 1 or 2 future ALL-ACC selection WRs on this roster right now.

I recall Amba coming to Syracuse met with very little fanfare. 10 catches in 2014 for 222 and 20 for 216 in 2015. 94 for 1482 in 2016 with Cuse.
I challenge you to find 1 big game Amba had at Maryland. The best I saw was 5 catches for like 56 yards in 2015. Other than that, if he even recorded a catch, his lines were something like 2 catches for 20 yards. If he came to SU and put up those same numbers as he would have at Maryland, SU wins 1 game last year.
Further proof that you can not underestimate how important it is to match a player to an offensive scheme. I don't think Amba suddenly became so talented that he earned All ACC All America honors. I think Babers saw his target, saw his strengths, and knew he could thrive in his system.

2013 vs. Cuse he had 6 rec for 109 yards, season total that year was 31 rec 500 yrds. From what I remember reading was he had a lot of issues with drops and didn't get to see the field much the next two years.

Butlers issue is just calming down before trying take off.. When you only get 1-3 balls a game and 1 of those is contested its hard to relax and let the game come to you.. He also is much more dynamic if he holds onto the ball. I think he has really good upside, still not the real burner we need on the outside though.. We will have 8 kids playing for 2 spots when you include Custis/Butler. Unless Dino has totally whiffed at that recruitment you have to think 2-3 of them can play. the only one he really went after that has seen the field is Johnson and his time was limited but glimpses were pretty bright. I prefer to think coach knows what he had and didnt need putting kids out there for 5-10 plays when he was going to use ISH and Phillips 95% of the snaps anyway.
His issue is he has bad hands.

If the staff thinks he can help they should bring him up. Can't presume the true freshman are ready right off the back. I'm always in favor of redshirting guys unless they absolutely prove they can be dynamic and help the team.

Syracuse will NEVER, NEVER and I mean NEVER be a destination spot for a plethora of 4 star kids ( let alone 5), regardless of who the coach is or what system you run. it never has been and never will be. Mike Leach has run a pass dominated system for 15 years and he is still taking many 3 star and JUCO Kids wherever he has been. When he gets a 4 star receiver it's still a big deal at WSU. He has a bigger track record than Dino, better facilities and an offense that HUMS, he got 1 4 star last year. I don't care who is your HC or what system you run here, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. People keep waiting for some recruiting overhaul, it's not going to happen. Recruit for the system and develop.

People have been worried about WR for two years and it's been fine, actually more than fine. It's down the list quite a bit

I agree about cuse as a destination for 4+ stars, but, many on this board haven't been worried about wr the last 3-4 years like THIS off-season. Yes, some didn't believe in ish, but i did all along and knew erv was also wAay more than serviceable. These were SS recruits that could play un any system and excel. Ish proved many wrong this season in terms of his speed, ability to get off the LOS, and run away from defenders. He beat some of the best corners in the league this year.

Again, many on this board see the wr position as plug and play, a system thing. Nope, we have HUGE, Billy Fuccillo HUGE question marks at wr this coming year.

I agree about cuse as a destination for 4+ stars, but, many on this board haven't been worried about wr the last 3-4 years like THIS off-season. Yes, some didn't believe in ish, but i did all along and knew erv was also wAay more than serviceable. These were SS recruits that could play un any system and excel. Ish proved many wrong this season in terms of his speed, ability to get off the LOS, and run away from defenders. He beat some of the best corners in the league this year.

Again, many on this board see the wr position as plug and play, a system thing. Nope, we have HUGE, Billy Fuccillo HUGE question marks at wr this coming year.

We’ll see. I think this staff has an eye for WR talent and between the billion reps and coaching - we’ll be positioned well. Shafer had no idea of how to use Erv.

You’re sleeping on last year’s kids. Plus a couple from this class are going to be good.

I spoke to a source close to Drake, and Drake's team still has not heard from Syracuse coaches. He's still very much eager to hear from the coaching staff, but doesn't appear SU is interested.

I spoke to a source close to Drake, and Drake's team still has not heard from Syracuse coaches. He's still very much eager to hear from the coaching staff, but doesn't appear SU is interested.

I think SU has a quality crop of WR's coming in now, and has a few in the pipeline that redshirted.

Don't expect to see any one-and-dones at that position unless they are can't miss.

I think SU has a quality crop of WR's coming in now, and has a few in the pipeline that redshirted.

Don't expect to see any one-and-dones at that position unless they are can't miss.

We still need someone with more experience, I do believe they are going to bring in someone. Whom that is, no idea.

We still need someone with more experience, I do believe they are going to bring in someone. Whom that is, no idea.

Yeah that was pretty clear with them chasing after JUCO Woodyard who we lost out on to Nebraska. I'm sure there will be someone else who is an upperclassman.

Has he reached out to them? You've mentioned three times on this thread that he's interested and waiting on the coaches. I'm sure he's able to call or send them an email to gauge their interest.

Contact rules are complicated I'd encourage him to call them.

He had 9 catches for 60 yards and a history of hamstring injuries. I think people are putting too much stock in Amba's success. The coaches are all over the transfer market. If they want him or think he can make an impact they surely would have reached out.

I find the grad transfer of his team mate Malzone a little more interesting. Especially as he and McCloud follow each other and he had a BGSU offer before he committed to Michigan.

Ditto. I want an upperclassman who was recruited for this system on the depth chart. I wholeheartedly think that DeVito takes over after Dungey's senior year but I'd rather have us in a position to make the decision to throw him to the wolves rather than forced to throw him to the wolves next year when Dungey eventually misses a few games.

Oh boy...I can just see it now...Our must win opener just got tougher.

He had 10 career catches for Michigan and was switched to defense last season because he couldn't crack the WR. He's not guaranteed to have an impact.
Of course he isn't. Amba wasn't either. I'm just saying that I'd rather face a WMU team without a kid who was a 4 star with 25 P5 offers, and has one last chance to prove himself on a team where he may be automatically their most talented receiver.

Of course he isn't. Amba wasn't either. I'm just saying that I'd rather face a WMU team without a kid who was a 4 star with 25 P5 offers, and has one last chance to prove himself on a team where he may be automatically their most talented receiver.
Shane Morris was a five star commit for Michigan before taking a graduate transfer to Central Michigan. Do you even remember that he started against Syracuse last year?