WR Ed Hendrix in the transfer portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WR Ed Hendrix in the transfer portal

Individual guys might have some impact. I’m looking at the macro impact long term , not just this year.

Would TE and RB be deeper with Hackett and Jordan, sure, but those guys moving on is not a crushing blow to either unit.

Part of being in the plan is being available, Hendrix hasn’t shown that he can be.
Im talking in general not specifically saying the guys I mentioned were big losses but how do we know what they would do 2 or 3 years from now in the same system, more experienced and healthy? I’m also thinking of all the guys that transfer within their first one or two years. There is just no way you can determine what their value would have been. Sometimes we are quick to dismiss dudes if we don’t see immediate results. Getting better is still a thing.

Last edited:
Hendrix isn’t a loss in that he couldn’t get healthy. Jordan is healthy and would have been an asset.

But just like in Basketball, guys who don’t want to be here are of no help.

Im talking in general not specifically saying the guys I mentioned were big losses but how do we know what they would do 2 or 3 years from now in the same system, more experienced and healthy? I’m also thinking of all the guys that transfer within their first one or two years. There is just no way you can determine what their value would have been. Sometimes we are quick to dismiss dudes if we don’t see immediate results. Getting better is still a thing.
Don’t disagree with that, but based on who left the program my guess two thirds knew exactly where they stood long term and that’s why they left.

But if these players leaving are anything like the history of players that have transferred out, we will not really be missing them all that much. Really how many players that typically leave go on to achieve good things? Very few. I will say that the situation with transfers is different this year though. There is no doubt a handful of those players are losses, especially in the immediate season. Guys like Hackett, Nykeim, Richards, and Jawhar will be missed to different degrees. As promising as Hendrix looked when signed, I don't know if he'll ever be healthy enough to play again. There is something to be said with getting other younger guys experience to accelerate their development. Not all the younger guys will pan out either but giving time to those that show promise can build a positive for the future as well. So I think there are some positives with losing some guys to the portal, especially considering we have some added depth with the COVID bonus year.

But if these players leaving are anything like the history of players that have transferred out, we will not really be missing them all that much. Really how many players that typically leave go on to achieve good things? Very few. I will say that the situation with transfers is different this year though. There is no doubt a handful of those players are losses, especially in the immediate season. Guys like Hackett, Nykeim, Richards, and Jawhar will be missed to different degrees. As promising as Hendrix looked when signed, I don't know if he'll ever be healthy enough to play again. There is something to be said with getting other younger guys experience to accelerate their development. Not all the younger guys will pan out either but giving time to those that show promise can build a positive for the future as well. So I think there are some positives with losing some guys to the portal, especially considering we have some added depth with the COVID bonus year.
Its not about current production from them. We dont know how losing guys like Lemeiux, Dawson Munoz Goulbourne will effect us down the road. Those guys could have developed into good players. It can cause us to play younger players that arent ready. What if those young players get injured, suspended, medically dq'd, transfer etc.. ? Filling the gaps with juco's and grad transfers is not a sure thing. There's still a learning curve with them. SU needs to develop players and keep them in the program. We need some teams with 3 or 4 year players on the roster. Those teams tend to do better. Its definitely some good that comes out of playing guys early but it needs to show 2 or 3 years down the road. We can't keep this cycle of losing guys and repacing them with young players. We are going to be saying we are young every year lol.

Last edited:
Don’t disagree with that, but based on who left the program my guess two thirds knew exactly where they stood long term and that’s why they left.
For sure. At the same time, we have to stop missing on recruits and develop players at some point. Its not good to keep losing players for a development program like SU. Custis senior year is a prime example of what we need. All the young guys that are playing now need to be on the field 3 years from now making impact plays. We need to start having teams with majority junior and senior starters at key position groups. We finally have that this year. The extra year of eligibility helped. I bet O line, RB's, Wr's, D line will be our best position groups this season.

Last edited:
We need to start having teams with majority junior and senior starters at keep position groups. We finally have that this year. The extra year of eligibility helped. I bet O line, RB's, Wr's, D line will be our best position groups this season.
Every other ACC team will benefit as well. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Its not about current production from them. We dont know how losing guys like Lemeiux, Dawson Munoz Goulbourne will effect us down the road. Those guys could have developed into good players. It can cause us to play younger players that arent ready. What if those young players get injured, suspended, medically dq'd, transfer etc.. ? Filling the gaps with juco's and grad transfers is not a sure thing. There's still a learning curve with them. SU needs to develop players and keep them in the program. We need some teams with 3 or 4 year players on your roster. Those teams tend to do better. Its definitely some good that comes out of playing guys early but it needs to show 2 or 3 years down the road. We can't keep this cycle of losing guys and repacing them with young players. We are going to be saying we are young every year lol.
Yeah I agree With this as well. And I don’t think Dino has had a problem with losing guys most years. This year is probably an exception for most programs. And it was sort of inevitable with the trend of our on field performance the past couple years. The OL situation has crushed us. I expect things to start turning in the other direction with the improved line play on both sides of the ball. The defensive side has only gotten more experienced. With that should bring some more much needed enthusiasm and hopefully help us keep players around through their upper classman years.

Last edited:
Every other ACC team will benefit as well. A rising tide lifts all boats.
Absolutely. That's when culture, development and game day adjustments decides who wins games.

Yeah I agree With this as well. And I don’t think Dino has had a problem with losing guys most years. This year is probably an exception for most programs. And it was sort of inevitable with the trend of our on field performance the past couple years. The OL situation has crushed us. I expect things to start turning in the other directions with the improved line play on both sides of the ball. The defensive side has only gotten more experienced. With that should bring some more much needed enthusiasm and hopefully help us keep players around through their upper class man years.
Good points.

O had 2 big issues last yr.. Oline was the huge one... but then the WR dropped too many when they had chances to keep drives going. If you dont have elite WRs you need them to at least catch the ones when they do get open. a couple huge drops in those losses that could have turned the tide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom