Class of 2016 - WR Frank Darby (NJ) Decommits from Iowa/Commit to Arizona ST | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Frank Darby (NJ) Decommits from Iowa/Commit to Arizona ST

This is the one that stings. This is one we wanted, and actually lost out on.

This is the one that stings. This is one we wanted, and actually lost out on.

What receivers do we have a decent shot at landing? Maybe after Ferentz is fired this yr, we will pull a Pickard lol

What receivers do we have a decent shot at landing? Maybe after Ferentz is fired this yr, we will pull a Pickard lol
Still holding out hope for Hawkins and Irvin. I think we could have had Gene Coleman (a fellow NJ recruit told me straight up Coleman was ours if we wanted him) but don't think the coaches were really overly high on him, so the ship has probably sailed on him.

After that...not sure.

Iowa? It ain't all magic cornfields and Moonlight Graham, kid. Your dad isn't walking out of that cornfield!!!

Still holding out hope for Hawkins and Irvin. I think we could have had Gene Coleman (a fellow NJ recruit told me straight up Coleman was ours if we wanted him) but don't think the coaches were really overly high on him, so the ship has probably sailed on him.

After that...not sure.
Darby, don't lose that number. You don't wanna call nobody else.

Another position I'm not overly concerned for recruiting in this class. We're extremely young on the depth chart and I think if we can land one high quality WR target we'll be good. Anything else is a bonus.

Much more concerned about TE, DB, and veteran OL (JUCO) recruiting as far as needs are concerned.

Another position I'm not overly concerned for recruiting in this class. We're extremely young on the depth chart and I think if we can land one high quality WR target we'll be good. Anything else is a bonus.

Much more concerned about TE, DB, and veteran OL (JUCO) recruiting as far as needs are concerned.

I agree with this and it won't be a popular opinion. To me it's a middle of the road or lower priority and we already have 1 in the fold. But people are really only focused on the NJ kids, there's a plethora of uncommitted Florida kids and WR recruiting is always fluid.

Last edited:

Couldn't disagree agree more, we brought in zero WR recruits for the current incoming class and outside of Ishmael the huge haul of receivers from 2 years ago looks suspect at best. The returning WR's especially the upper class guys all have significant injury histories and that's being kind. We need at least 2-3 Wr's in this class including a high end guy who can actually stretch a defense and be a home run threat. I'm very concerned about the WR position both on the field and recruiting wise.

The one thing I keep reminding myself is that you kind of have to consider the hybrids to be WRs, so if we bring in Moe Neal or Tre Bryant, for instance, they're basically WR recruits.

Couldn't disagree agree more, we brought in zero WR recruits for the current incoming class and outside of Ishmael the huge haul of receivers from 2 years ago looks suspect at best. The returning WR's especially the upper class guys all have significant injury histories and that's being kind. We need at least 2-3 Wr's in this class including a high end guy who can actually stretch a defense and be a home run threat. I'm very concerned about the WR position both on the field and recruiting wise.

Suspect? They haven't played. Shafer has raved about Custis and Enoicy.

The one thing I keep reminding myself is that you kind of have to consider the hybrids to be WRs, so if we bring in Moe Neal or Tre Bryant, for instance, they're basically WR recruits.

Erv Phillips.

You do realize we're running 2 WR sets with a H Back now?

Ishmael - 2 years left after this year
Enoicy - 3 years left after this year
Avant - 2 years left after this year
Custis - 2 years left after this year
Estime - 1 year left after this year
Cornelius - 1 year left after this year

And you already have Palmer committed. So 1 more quality WR target gives you 8 on the roster for the 2016 season. How many more guys do you need for 2 slots?

JeremyCuse said:

I agree with both of you. I'd really like a high end WR recruit (non slot) and some Offensive Tackles. There were a whole lot of high end NJ WR recruits we were involved with, but doesn't look like anything is coming from it. IMO Hawkins and Irvin ( who is a potential TE) are anything but sure things. In fact I don't think we have much of a chance with Hawkins.

Suspect? They haven't played. Shafer has raved about Custis and Enoicy.

Shafer has raved about a lot of things the past 2 years not sure that really means that much. Custis absolutely played last year and while he was certainly mismanaged by Gmac he was out there. KJ never made it here, Cooper transferred, the other Cooper is now a DB, Enoicy was injured the entire year and is buried on the depth chart. Right now the only sure thing at WR is Ishmael and maybe Broyld if he is healthy.

Considering that we lost 2 of our most highly recruited WRs from last year (KJ and Corey) I really would like to see SU land at least 1 more quality WR. I'm sure Sadiq will be fine, but I'm really hoping we can land Irvin at this point if we can get him up for a visit.

You do realize we're running 2 WR sets with a H Back now?

Ishmael - 2 years left after this year
Enoicy - 3 years left after this year
Avant - 2 years left after this year
Custis - 2 years left after this year
Estime - 1 year left after this year
Cornelius - 1 year left after this year

And you already have Palmer committed. So 1 more quality WR target gives you 8 on the roster for the 2016 season. How many more guys do you need for 2 slots?

Thats fine as a base offense but lets be honest Syracuse is going to have to a lot of games where their going to need to come from behind and throw the ball 3 and 4 WR sets are going to be needed and likely needed a lot.

Ish is clearly a high end guy and a player who could break out this year.

Enoicy is a total unknown at this point but I do have high hopes.

Avant looked like a TE when he was finally healthy enough to play last year, he was way out of shape. He has a long way to go.

Custis - Another guy who has unlimited potential but hes not a speed guy or a score from anywhere type WR

Estime - Cant stay healthy and already a Jr.

Cornelius - Possession WR who has maybe 10 receptions in his career?

Sorry if that sounds harsh but the WR position has a ton of question marks outside of Ish and Broyld.

Disappointing to see all our top WR target keep picking other schools.

I agree with both of you. I'd really like a high end WR recruit (non slot) and some Offensive Tackles. There were a whole lot of high end NJ WR recruits we were involved with, but doesn't look like anything is coming from it. IMO Hawkins and Irvin ( who is a potential TE) are anything but sure things. In fact I don't think we have much of a chance with Hawkins.

When we didn't bring in any WR recruits in this last class we put ourselves in a tough spot to clean up this year. Still early but so far the early returns aren't great. We tried this two years ago when we brought in a huge WR class and half of those guys either moved positions or never made it. Still a lot of time but we need at least 2 above average guys in this class who are actual WR's not H backs.

Thats fine as a base offense but lets be honest Syracuse is going to have to a lot of games where their going to need to come from behind and throw the ball 3 and 4 WR sets are going to be needed and likely needed a lot.

Avant looked like a TE when he was finally healthy enough to play last year, he was way out of shape. He has a long way to go.

Custis - Another guy who has unlimited potential but hes not a speed guy or a score from anywhere type WR

Sorry if that sounds harsh but the WR position has a ton of question marks outside of Ish and Broyld.

Broyld is not going to be there in a year anyway, so he's not even part of the discussion. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'm not worried about the impact that this class in particular has on the position in the near term because you're just adding 2 true frosh who are completely unproven to a mix of 6 other underclassmen, of which maybe 2 are proven - Ish and Estime. Beyond that it's all question marks anyway and you probably have as good a shot of Custis and Enoicy developing into multi-year starters as you do any new recruits added on this year. I have to believe we can get 4 competent WR's out of 8 underclassmen. When I say add one more though, I'm talking the Hawkins/Stewart profile of recruit, not a project. Palmer seems the type to RS anyway.

Broyld is not going to be there in a year anyway, so he's not even part of the discussion. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'm not worried about the impact that this class in particular has on the position in the near term because you're just adding 2 true frosh who are completely unproven to a mix of 6 other underclassmen, of which maybe 2 are proven - Ish and Estime. Beyond that it's all question marks anyway and you probably have as good a shot of Custis and Enoicy developing into multi-year starters as you do any new recruits added on this year. I have to believe we can get 4 competent WR's out of 8 underclassmen. When I say add one more though, I'm talking the Hawkins/Stewart profile of recruit, not a project. Palmer seems the type to RS anyway.

If SU brought in two additional WR's on the leveal of Hawkins and Steward to go with Palmer I would feel pretty good but bringing 2-3 project types this year alone would leave me very concerned moving forward. I mentioned Broyld because against high level competition he was the only one besides Ish vs FSU who looked like he belonged out there. See the Clemson game last year.

I think that in terms of pass catchers in general, I'm confident in Ish and Erv being able to compete athletically against any team we face. I think Cornelius can be serviceable based on what I've seen in the past (I know it's a limited sample size, but he's made some solid plays in his limited snaps). After that, it's a complete unknown. Way too early to tell if we have what we need...which is why I was hoping for more emphasis on WR this cycle, which doesn't seem to be the case at this point.

Disappointing to sGet 1 lose 3. Its not like we are "getting 1 with any degree of consistency either. Maybe Strickland will be converted . The say regarding him is defense,however. I could understand receiver One of the reasons he was recruited hard by Shafer is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield.

Avant looked like a TE ? that's crazy talk. he's 5-11 200. I personally thought he looked good in his limited ops.