Class of 2016 - WR Frank Darby (NJ) Decommits from Iowa/Commit to Arizona ST | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR Frank Darby (NJ) Decommits from Iowa/Commit to Arizona ST

JeremyCuse said:
Thats fine as a base offense but lets be honest Syracuse is going to have to a lot of games where their going to need to come from behind and throw the ball 3 and 4 WR sets are going to be needed and likely needed a lot. Ish is clearly a high end guy and a player who could break out this year. Enoicy is a total unknown at this point but I do have high hopes. Avant looked like a TE when he was finally healthy enough to play last year, he was way out of shape. He has a long way to go. Custis - Another guy who has unlimited potential but hes not a speed guy or a score from anywhere type WR Estime - Cant stay healthy and already a Jr. Cornelius - Possession WR who has maybe 10 receptions in his career? Sorry if that sounds harsh but the WR position has a ton of question marks outside of Ish and Broyld.

That's how it always looks. Starters from the year before, contributors from the year before, and guys who haven't played.

Unless you're in camp with these guys you have less info than the staff do in evaluating the needs of the position. Clearly they believe they need a couple of WR and an Hback.

Reactions: 007
Thats fine as a base offense but lets be honest Syracuse is going to have to a lot of games where their going to need to come from behind and throw the ball 3 and 4 WR sets are going to be needed and likely needed a lot.

Ish is clearly a high end guy and a player who could break out this year.

Enoicy is a total unknown at this point but I do have high hopes.

Avant looked like a TE when he was finally healthy enough to play last year, he was way out of shape. He has a long way to go.

Custis - Another guy who has unlimited potential but hes not a speed guy or a score from anywhere type WR

Estime - Cant stay healthy and already a Jr.

Cornelius - Possession WR who has maybe 10 receptions in his career?

Sorry if that sounds harsh but the WR position has a ton of question marks outside of Ish and Broyld.
Is Ben Lewis still on the team? Ben is serviceable. I have to admit I am confused as to what the hback will do. In the spring game th H looked almost like a second TE who is more versitle. Broyld and Lewis would seem to fit this role. But on the other hand Philips is the starter and Moe is being recruited for the position. Everything is basically speculation for the next two months. The Hback role is the thing I am most curious about for next season.

Let's not discount dunk too. He was brought in to fill a very specific role.

Is Ben Lewis still on the team? Ben is serviceable. I have to admit I am confused as to what the hback will do. In the spring game th H looked almost like a second TE who is more versitle. Broyld and Lewis would seem to fit this role. But on the other hand Philips is the starter and Moe is being recruited for the position. Everything is basically speculation for the next two months. The Hback role is the thing I am most curious about for next season.

Erv Phillips, Broyld and Lewis are the H Backs. So technically I guess you could say the H Back role replaced the other WR role we had last year, and Erv Phillips has been added to that pool.

That's how it always looks. Starters from the year before, contributors from the year before, and guys who haven't played.

Unless you're in camp with these guys you have less info than the staff do in evaluating the needs of the position. Clearly they believe they need a couple of WR and an Hback.

You don't have to be part of the staff to see how our WR's have been the past few years you just need to watch the games. The fact that Cornelius a guy who has been buried on the depth chart his entire career here is the listed starter going into summer camp tells you exactly how bad of shape the position is in right now.

You don't have to be part of the staff to see how our WR's have been the past few years you just need to watch the games. The fact that Cornelius a guy who has been buried on the depth chart his entire career here is the listed starter going into summer camp tells you exactly how bad of shape the position is in right now.
Just to play devil's advocate, it could also just tell you that McDonald was an idiot and buried Cornelius because he didn't know what to do with him in his offense.

Avant looked like a TE ? that's crazy talk. he's 5-11 200. I personally thought he looked good in his limited ops.

Then we were watching two different teams, he looked anything but good.

Just to play devil's advocate, it could also just tell you that McDonald was an idiot and buried Cornelius because he didn't know what to do with him in his offense.

Not saying that isnt the case but with as many injuries as we had to the WR position last year its hard to see how he could be buried, we were desperate for help. You could be right though, Custis was certainly misused so perhaps Cornelius was to.

Lewis actually did a nice job getting open last year but was plagued by drops. He dropped at least 2-3 wide open looks in the endzone. If he can improve his hands he can make an impact.

Lewis actually did a nice job getting open last year but was plagued by drops. He dropped at least 2-3 wide open looks in the endzone. If he can improve his hands he can make an impact.

I think part of the reason that I'm more bullish on the WR group is also that Erv Phillips has been added to that pool. IMO Phillips and Ishmael are the two most talented offensive players on the team right now.

I think part of the reason that I'm more bullish on the WR group is also that Erv Phillips has been added to that pool. IMO Phillips and Ishmael are the two most talented offensive players on the team right now.

I think the move of Phillips was very smart, he adds a homerun threat to a position that desperately needs it. Should also keep him from getting beat up physically like he would have at RB.

JeremyCuse said:

Cornelius came out of nowhere his freshman season to score an important TD vs BC and had a bunch of catches vs Pitt.

McDonald buried him last year (rumor for no real good reason).

Now he's picking up where he left off at the end of 2013.

The one thing I keep reminding myself is that you kind of have to consider the hybrids to be WRs, so if we bring in Moe Neal or Tre Bryant, for instance, they're basically WR recruits.
Last fall in pre season the freshman receiver Scott raved about was, Adly Enoicy, then he had minor surgery, and they held him out. I believe he will be the breakout receiver this year, and with his size he will help in the red zone.

I think the big thing is we didn't really take WRs in last years class we need to have good longterm talent depth at the position.

I think the big thing is we didn't really take WRs in last years class we need to have good longterm talent depth at the position.

Agreed and we currently have one in this class.

How many do people think we need/going to take?

Since the slot is recruited differently I'd say you need 8/9 on the roster every year, that would be the bench mark number.

Slot 4, TE 4/5, OL 15, QB 5, RB 4/5...that's about 42

Both sides of the ball need about 40 kids +\- and 5 or less for specials

Last edited:
To me, the great unknown in this is how Lester plans on utilizing the HB and TE in his system. I think we'll know more about what the needs are by October.

I have a feeling the HB and TE will play integral parts in his offense. Just have a feeling that we're going to see Dunk lined up all over the place along with Custis and Enoicy. I think we'll see multiple formations (there's that fun word again) where in certain situations we'll have 3 guys who are 6'5 or taller out there at a time. Then there will be speed packages, goal line packages (more TE's), spread em out packages with Broyld, Estime, Erv and Ish all out there at the same time. Lots of options when everyone is healthy (an option we didn't have last year). Lots of reason for optimism this year!

Agreed and we currently have one in this class.

How many do people think we need/going to take?

Since the slot is recruited differently I'd say you need 8/9 on the roster every year, that would be the bench mark number.

Slot 4, TE 4/5, OL 15, QB 5, RB 4/5...that's about 42

Both sides of the ball need about 40 kids +\- and 5 or less for specials
I'd say its likely to be 1 more or 2 if the 2nd guy plays both ways at CB in HS since we are hurting there.

"He qualified and got his SAT score where it needed to be, but the Iowa coaches wanted him to attend a prep school for some academic seasoning," Hampton said. "Frank didn’t want that, though. He wants to play right away and he felt that after watching the Iowa spring game, that he could help the team out this season.

"He qualified and got his SAT score where it needed to be, but the Iowa coaches wanted him to attend a prep school for some academic seasoning," Hampton said. "Frank didn’t want that, though. He wants to play right away and he felt that after watching the Iowa spring game, that he could help the team out this season.
Babers has some spots!

Last edited:
This kid seems to be a game changer when he touches the ball. C'mon Coach, send everyone down there ,even Mr. Mafioso, "Devito". ;)