Class of 2020 - WR Malick Meiga (QC) Portal from Penn St | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 WR Malick Meiga (QC) Portal from Penn St

Penn State is obviously offering something to recruits that we are not. I don't think it's Franklin, because PSU has out recruited us long before he came in.

Is it just the expansive fan base? The facilities? Players that have made it in the NFL? (lots of schools can claim that).

I mean this school keeps grabbing players that otherwise have strong interest in Syracuse. And it happens every year. There has to be an area at PSU that is so overwhelmingly appealing that Syracuse falls right off the map when they visit.

This is really going to have to be defined going forward

Penn State is obviously offering something to recruits that we are not. I don't think it's Franklin, because PSU has out recruited us long before he came in.

Is it just the expansive fan base? The facilities? Players that have made it in the NFL? (lots of schools can claim that).

I mean this school keeps grabbing players that otherwise have strong interest in Syracuse. And it happens every year. There has to be an area at PSU that is so overwhelmingly appealing that Syracuse falls right off the map when they visit.

1. They’ve been better than us on the field until just very recently
2. Their home field crowd is one of the best in the nation
3. They’ve put more guys in the NFL than us
4. Facilities are most likely better than us

Good news is all of this is being vastly improved right now at SU

Last edited:

I mean, they've been the big dog if you're trying to stay in the Northeast for the last 30 years. We need a period of sustained success to even be considered.

They have 100k rabid fans at every game, great facilities, a huge alumni base, sustained success with little drop off, and a snake oil salesman who knows how to exploit it.

Really a shame when a young person so willingly chooses to associate themselves with institutionalized abuse of children.
Sorry but if you really think he thought “yeah I want to go to a place that once had child abusers!” Your just so wrong. I don’t know why we keep pulling up this situation as if a single kid gives a dang about that anymore. You think our new b-ball recruits are scared away because of Bernie fines deal that went down? No. No one thinks about that as it does not have anything to do with them or their future. It’s just not worth complaining about because the kids are not even thinking about it anymore. For better or for worse.

I must say this sucks. Oh well, let’s finish higher then them in the rankings this year again with our non 4 star receivers. (Minus Trishton) but dang this is a little deflating. On to the next.

Sorry but if you really think he thought “yeah I want to go to a place that once had child abusers!” Your just so wrong. I don’t know why we keep pulling up this situation as if a single kid gives a dang about that anymore. You think our new b-ball recruits are scared away because of Bernie fines deal that went down? No. No one thinks about that as it does not have anything to do with them or their future. It’s just not worth complaining about because the kids are not even thinking about it anymore. For better or for worse.
You couldn't be more wrong, 12. Comparing Bernie FIne, who was thoroughly investigated and never found to have done anything wrong, to an industrial-scale grooming and child abuse operation with dozens, maybe hundreds of victims, run for years under the nose of the FB coaching staff, the AD and the President (all of whom resigned or we're fired in scandal) is beyond the pale.

I don't care if recruits are aware of it or not - it is their choice to ignore it. After only 7 years the stink is still palpable, so recruits buying into the denialism do so at their peril. But to compare PSU to SU on this board is bizarre and complicit with the Ped-Sate mentality.

Last edited:

Nothing about a recruit choosing PSU over us should be even remotely surprising.

You couldn't be more wrong, 12. Comparing Bernie FIne, who was thoroughly investigated and never found to have done anything wrong, to an industrial-scale grooming and child abuse operation run under the nose of the FB coach, the AD and the President (all of whom resigned or we're fired in scandal) is irresponsible.

Whether recruits are aware of it or not is their choice. Some may buy the hype. The fact is, however, it was only 7 years ago, not exactly ancient history. Your post sounds like the Ped-State denialist mentality ... pretending it never happened.

like this post 17 times

Another swing and a miss. I think people need to realize how difficult it is to recruit big time talent to Syracuse, New York. It can be done, but as others have indicated, you need sustained success. I'd say 3-5 years of it before you start seeing it reflected in recruiting.

well, just because they or their families don't care about something that happened not long ago and is still being rationalized and covered up so to speak by their fanbase, doesn't make it ok. Also, the current coach that these kids are committing to tried to obstruct a rape investigation against some of his scumbag players by calling the victim on the phone, clearly to pressure her to not press charges. How about the kids and their families care about THAT too?

Another swing and a miss. I think people need to realize how difficult it is to recruit big time talent to Syracuse, New York. It can be done, but as others have indicated, you need sustained success. I'd say 3-5 years of it before you start seeing it reflected in recruiting.

thank you for your rational post. one very good year in a non-football factory place like SU isn't going to wash away years of incompetent football.

Damn. Going to be disheartening if we miss on all three of these receivers. We've gotta pray for another 10 win season to have this class be on the level of last years...kind of disappointing so far

well, just because they or their families don't care about something that happened not long ago and is still being rationalized and covered up so to speak by their fanbase, doesn't make it ok. Also, the current coach that these kids are committing to tried to obstruct a rape investigation against some of his scumbag players by calling the victim on the phone, clearly to pressure her to not press charges. How about the kids and their families care about THAT too?
I’m all with you in the fact that franklin is scum. I am simply stating, these kids are CLEARLY not affected by past issues at PSU. So IMO complaining and wondering “why do so many good talented kids go to PSU with what happened” is just a waste of breath. We know for a fact none of these recruits had that past info affect their decisions and in the future it still won’t affect them.

You couldn't be more wrong, 12. Comparing Bernie FIne, who was thoroughly investigated and never found to have done anything wrong, to an industrial-scale grooming and child abuse operation with dozens, maybe hundreds of victims, run for years under the nose of the FB coach, the AD and the President (all of whom resigned or we're fired in scandal) is beyond the pale.

I don't care if recruits are aware of it or not - that is their choice. The stink is still palpable. If recruits buy the PSU hype - I can't help them. But to pretend it never happened is sinking to the Ped State mentality.
Am I pretending nothing happened? No I’m stating the facts that recruits DO NOT CARE about that anymore (is it right? No!). As anyone who watches the news these days, people forget about massive stories in about a week. My point is simply saying that it doesn’t matter those convictions do not effect these recruits and it never will from here on out. Just figured we should realize that our argument of “how can a recruit possibly go there because of that?!” Is just head scratching to me. These kids were 10 when that happened. They do not even think about it. Again I agree it’s gross that this quickly it’s brushed to the side, but I’m just stating the truth.

Agree. Some people are thinking one good season should somehow result in Cuse suddenly getting 4 and 5 stars. No corner has been turned yet. We have exactly 1 good year under our belt with HCDFB but that's it. Head down, horns out and keep bulling forward. It will happen once Babers can show a larger and sustained footprint of success and really when all is said and done as long as he keeps winning does it really matter which recruits he does it with? In my opinion it doesn't.

Agree. Some people are thinking one good season should somehow result in Cuse suddenly getting 4 and 5 stars. No corner has been turned yet. We have exactly 1 good year under our belt with HCDFB but that's it. Head down, horns out and keep bulling forward. It will happen once Babers can show a larger and sustained footprint of success and really when all is said and done as long as he keeps winning does it really matter which recruits he does it with? In my opinion it doesn't.

I agree with your overall point, but this kid is also a 3 star

I’m all with you in the fact that franklin is scum. I am simply stating, these kids are CLEARLY not affected by past issues at PSU. So IMO complaining and wondering “why do so many good talented kids go to PSU with what happened” is just a waste of breath. We know for a fact none of these recruits had that past info affect their decisions and in the future it still won’t affect them.

fair enough. just don't want any of us to minimize what happened there, you clearly aren't doing that. I guess we have to vent in some direction because we hate PSU so much!

please go over to the pay site and talk some sense into all the people griping and whining about the current class

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom