Class of 2019 - WR Nazir Burnett (PA) Committed to Ga Tech | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 WR Nazir Burnett (PA) Committed to Ga Tech

This doesn’t make sense to me - turning down the option to play in a proven system that throws the ball a ton - to go to a school who is hoping to learn how to throw the ball, but hey what do I know

This doesn’t make sense to me - turning down the option to play in a proven system that throws the ball a ton - to go to a school who is hoping to learn how to throw the ball, but hey what do I know

I couldn’t imagine GT being loaded with WR talent. He may see an opportunity to make an earlier impact than here, where most of us really are optimistic about the position.

If they pull in a few good receivers and get a half way decent qb, which they may already have and a OC who is a little innovated and they may cause a little havoc.

GT apparently gets WRs to the NFL seeing as they have a 4-1 advantage over us since 2010. Bizarre.

I think the kid overplayed his hand, he got interest from 'bigger' fish like Michigan and when the bigger fish never bit he was left with Rutgers and GT, gotta take GT in that case

Just shows that trying to analyze why every recruit might want to play at SU is somewhat pointless. They make decisions for so many different reasons.

I wonder if academics are an issue? This year in particular, in light of the revised NCAA policy (in which players who sign but don't qualify count against the 25 player limit), coupled with SU's WR roster already being well-stocked, SU may have decided not to take a gamble on him.
This is pure speculation on my part, I'm trying to make sense out of his strange recruitment.

I wonder if academics are an issue? This year in particular, in light of the revised NCAA policy (in which players who sign but don't qualify count against the 25 player limit), coupled with SU's WR roster already being well-stocked, SU may have decided not to take a gamble on him.
This is pure speculation on my part, I'm trying to make sense out of his strange recruitment.

if academics were an issue, he probably would not have been recruited by GT, their standards are higher than ours

I am guessing that somewhere in here is a relationship that he has with former Temple coach now GT coach Geoff Collins. Maybe they weren't big enough as Temple, but once he went to GT things changed for Nazir. I know that he is defensive minded, but he was a tight ends coach at GT as well as having Alabama on his resume.

If he transfers now, he might be able to play in a bowl somewhere in 2020.

Only played 2 games this season for Ga Tech.

I, uh... we make a call here, right?

My opinion is that you really shouldn't take a chance on a transfer unless they've shown that they can play at a high level at their initial school. Even then, I don't think that history is a guarantee of success in their new home.

I wouldn't call him. The added whammy here is that his transfer might make it more likely that Gowdy sticks to his commitment.

My opinion is that you really shouldn't take a chance on a transfer unless they've shown that they can play at a high level at their initial school. Even then, I don't think that history is a guarantee of success in their new home.

I wouldn't call him. The added whammy here is that his transfer might make it more likely that Gowdy sticks to his commitment.
Well, I mean, usually guys that have played at a high level at their initial school... don't transfer.

I think this is exactly the kind of transfer you welcome. He was a guy we liked a whole lot not long ago. The optimistic take is that he realized pretty quickly that GT wasn't what he was told/promised and was decisive enough to make the call to seek a better opportunity before he was stuck or would be a less appealing player to his other preferred programs.

I prefer he call us.
Is that how the transfer portal works?

Burnett be like...

I'm in the transfer port-al
Don't ask me I'll never tell
I looked at Cuse as I fell
And now you're in my way
I'd trade my soul for a wish
Catches and routes for a 'ship
I was looking for this
And now you're in my way

Uniform is orange
Blue, white, orange showin'
Hot Dome, no wind blowin'
Where you think you're going Babers?

Hey, I just left Geoff, and this is crazy
But here's my number
So call me maybe
It's hard to look right at you Babers
But here's my number
So call me maybe
All the other schools try to chase me
But here's my number
So call me maybe

Just wow.

I’d pass until we strike out with the kids we’re after right now and enter desperate mode.

Unrelated note but I think the portal is going to start taking off imo and I think we’ll start seeing more and more higher end talent. Should be an interesting free agent market.

Last edited:

How can he be expected to play at a high level as a true freshman with aQB, and most of the spporting cast are square pegs trying to fit in round holes? giggidy.
All I know is we don't have a whole lot of high profile wide receivers with offers from the big boys showing as much interest in Syracuse as this kid did.
Will he be a star? A bust? Just like any kid coming out of high-school...who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom