WR | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WR

Complete guesses here on my part, but I'm going to say Jackson & Gadsen are our top 2 leading pass catchers. I think Cooper will have a nice role in the slot and catch a decent amount of balls. Also see Queeley being solid possession guy, but nothing spectacular.

The interesting guy to me is Alford. Depending on where he lines up (TE or WR) probably determines the number of targets he gets. I think he's too big a target not to be productive. We saw glimpses (and so did VT). I'm hoping he continues to get better and all we saw last year is the tip of the iceberg. I have Jamal Custis flashbacks. Hopefully he gets to Sr. year Custis level well before his Sr year, ideally this year.
Does calling Alford a TE mean he is going to lining up in a traditional "tight" position and have traditional TE blocking assignments? If not I don't see the point of calling him a TE. Is someone afraid of the 4 WR set so they call one of them a TE? Just seems weird to me. But I don't care what they call anyone as long as Alford and Gadsden each get plenty of targets. And that our scheme doesn't end up with one of those guys matched up on a DE.

Does calling Alford a TE mean he is going to lining up in a traditional "tight" position and have traditional TE blocking assignments? If not I don't see the point of calling him a TE. Is someone afraid of the 4 WR set so they call one of them a TE? Just seems weird to me. But I don't care what they call anyone as long as Alford and Gadsden each get plenty of targets. And that our scheme doesn't end up with one of those guys matched up on a DE.
I think Alford will be a matchup nightmare at TE, as long as he puts on some good weight to fill out. At 6'6 210 he's going to get tossed around. But get him up to 6'6 230 or so and maintain his speed, most LBers are not going to be able to cover that.

He might be used as a receiving TE but not have the the blocking responsibilities. Its like the opposite of Elmore. Elmore is just a FB but they list him as a TE.

Sucks that Anae and Beck were unable to poach a guy like Dontayvion Wicks from UVA. Obviously, he would have been a headliner type transfer, but even if they brought in a reserve WR, as fans we would have known the staff really likes the player.

Any UVA skill guys still in the portal?

I'm with you on that. Title doesn't mean much to me either. Please just use them effectively.

That had to be the OC's preference because there were more variety of routes prior 2019
DB's offense has never been good. Dungey saved him from losing his job a few years ago.

DB's offense has never been good. Dungey saved him from losing his job a few years ago.
Every scheme needs stud players to reach its full potential. I thought they did some good things during those early years. Dungey missed half of those seasons and the defense was terrible. Last few years were not good although I really like the run game from this past season.

Every scheme needs stud players to reach its full potential. I thought they did some good things during those early years. Dungey missed half of those seasons and the defense was terrible.
Dino said things would open up in the 3rd year, and that was Eric's 3rd year in 2018.

Dino said things would open up in the 3rd year, and that was Eric's 3rd year in 2018.
True. At some point the offense took a turn for the worse. Play calls were puzzling but offensive line/QB play were the biggest culprits. How much of that is on the OC's? Im not sure. I do know that the underbelly didn't develop the way that it should have.

True. At some point the offense took a turn for the worse. Play calls were puzzling but offensive line/QB play were the biggest culprits. How much of that is on the OC's? Im not sure. I do know that the underbelly didn't develop the way that it should have.
Really believe if Dino had recruited someone like Eric we would have been better off.
TD could throw the ball, but never was good about thinking on his feet.

Had we had another player last year when Garrett got hurt, we might have gotten the 6th win.

Really believe if Dino had recruited someone like Eric we would have been better off.
TD could throw the ball, but never was good about thinking on his feet.

Had we had another player last year when Garrett got hurt, we might have gotten the 6th win.
Good points.

Sean Lewis leaving was the turning point. We realized d was a weakness in the past and he successfully turned that around. He has one mulligan trying to get the offense on track, I feel it’s pretty obvious the moves he had to make and so far the staff is a slam dunk hire for us. As much as last year stings, it’s mostly because we were so close to being 9-3. We were legitimately that close. I have never seen officiating like that Rutgers game and I hope to never again.

Also seen Isaiah Jones making plays attacking the ball this spring, he isn’t afraid of the ball going his way. He could get backup snaps for sure this year and even be a dark horse to get regular snaps in the WR rotation.

Finally it feels like we have optimism at WR. But, I must say all of this means nothing until those lights come on and it’s game time! Im
feeling good about this group though.

This is a foolish take. The offense was very good in 2018 and if you can decipher how much was the system and how much was the QB you gotta show your work.

2nd, when exactly was Dungey saving his job? He ain’t getting fired in year 1 (plus they beat a ranked team) and he wasn’t getting fired in year two after beating #2 Clemson. And year 3 was the best season here in like 20+ years.

This is a foolish take. The offense was very good in 2018 and if you can decipher how much was the system and how much was the QB you gotta show your work.

2nd, when exactly was Dungey saving his job? He ain’t getting fired in year 1 (plus they beat a ranked team) and he wasn’t getting fired in year two after beating #2 Clemson. And year 3 was the best season here in like 20+ years.
There is now way SU signs DB to an extension if not for 2018 season. If that was a losing season DB is no longer the coach at SU.

There is now way SU signs DB to an extension if not for 2018 season. If that was a losing season DB is no longer the coach at SU.
Right. Waiting on you to show exactly what was ED and what was the scheme, staff, teammates, etc. The 2018 season was a good one for the *program*

I think most fans see this correctly. It’s was the staff, scheme, offensive players and exceptional QB play (TD was the QB on the field of two ACC wins that season).

Right. Waiting on you to show exactly what was ED and what was the scheme, staff, teammates, etc. The 2018 season was a good one for the *program*

I think most fans see this correctly. It’s was the staff, scheme, offensive players and exceptional QB play (TD was the QB on the field of two ACC wins that season).
DB's overall record speaks for itself. No need to show any stats other then what really matters.

Come on now. Doesn't every great player help a coach ? At what point does the coach get some credit? Dungey had a pretty good supporting cast to..
Speaking of supporting cast...in 2018 S. Riley and N. Johnson had outstanding seasons. By the end of 2019, folks on here were openly berating both players. What is the single most obvious variable between 2018 and 2019? Hmmm.

Dino reiterated its wide open. Hatcher and Brown helped themselves.

Queeley and Jackson barely played so I think they are clearly top 2 guys right now. Next few spots have a lot of similar guys competing for playing time. Alford, Hatcher, Jones and Gadsen seem to be fighting for the last outside spot. Cooper would be the next inside guy.
Peña and Allen will lineup all or the field eventually.
Someone needs to win the last starting outside spot. Let’s see who comes in looking sharp in the fall. Very excited about the depth now we need separation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom