X mas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

X mas

We were struggling to score for the first 28 minutes and Christmas doesn't contribute any offense at this stage. So JB went to CJ. Worked out well.

Rak is shooting 64% FG and 86% FT to Melo's 48% and 46%. I think the reason is something other than offense.

if at one point jb thought a kid doged a play -he would pull him-
always has- always will

maybe he saw that in xmas and decided cj offered more hustle-

next game it might be switched-
gonna have that with young bigs like we have, we tend to forget only 2 kids have 2 full years of starting triche and kj - scoop 1 year- mookie js have none-

You have that exactly backward.

haha no i don't. I've analyzed shots per game from Cuse players going back decades. On Syracuse, the stars get the shots, regardless of whether they are making them, way moreso than the average college basketball team. Our scoring and shooting distributions are way tighter and more predictable than average teams. JB is definitely not a hot hand coach.

I agree with you. Scoop did not play badly. 4 assists. 2 pts and NO TO's or PF's in 20 minutes. What else do you want from a pg?

Scoop's lowered usage is awesome. Some posters were saying that Scoop looked like he was about to cry last night. Is that true? He might have, but I missed it. From what I've seen, Scoop is a true captain, a guy who made the necessary choice to reduce his shooting for the good of the team. When the time comes, we know he can hit shots. All he does right now is help the team, couldn't be happier with Scoop.

Scoop's lowered usage is awesome. Some posters were saying that Scoop looked like he was about to cry last night. Is that true? He might have, but I missed it. From what I've seen, Scoop is a true captain, a guy who made the necessary choice to reduce his shooting for the good of the team. When the time comes, we know he can hit shots. All he does right now is help the team, couldn't be happier with Scoop.
shhhh you will be called classless for stating what was obvious to all the people watching on tv.

All-in-all, I was pleased with the rebounding of our forwards - Joseph especially, since I and others have criticized his tenacity on the boards in the past year, while we know Fair goes hard after every ball.
I've always felt you can tell how good a game Joseph will have by how well he rebounds early. If he's effective rebounding early it usually feeds into him having a strong offensive game since he's able to ignite the break so well as soon as the miss hits his hands.

haha no i don't. I've analyzed shots per game from Cuse players going back decades. On Syracuse, the stars get the shots, regardless of whether they are making them, way moreso than the average college basketball team. Our scoring and shooting distributions are way tighter and more predictable than average teams. JB is definitely not a hot hand coach.
That must be really interesting research. (Shots per game is an average, and doesn't take into account individual games where the pattern is broken.)

JB has, for decades, stayed with the hot hand. One of my favorite examples was the semifinal game of the '92 BET (which we won as a #5 seed). We were double digit underdogs to SHall, which had won the league. Michael Edwards, who had been relegated to a deep bench position by Red Autry, came in the game in the second half and hit a couple of shots. Not only did JB leave him in the game--he called his number 2 or 3 consecutive trips down the court. Edwards kept shooting and making, and we pulled the upset.

There are lots of other examples of individuals who were allowed to stay on the court because they were "on"--Scott McCorkle, Greg Monroe, Tony Scott, etc., etc. But the real point is that when JB finds a combination that is clicking, he will stay with it, even if one or more of the starters is not part of that group.

That must be really interesting research. (Shots per game is an average, and doesn't take into account individual games where the pattern is broken.)

JB has, for decades, stayed with the hot hand. One of my favorite examples was the semifinal game of the '92 BET (which we won as a #5 seed). We were double digit underdogs to SHall, which had won the league. Michael Edwards, who had been relegated to a deep bench position by Red Autry, came in the game in the second half and hit a couple of shots. Not only did JB leave him in the game--he called his number 2 or 3 consecutive trips down the court. Edwards kept shooting and making, and we pulled the upset.

There are lots of other examples of individuals who were allowed to stay on the court because they were "on"--Scott McCorkle, Greg Monroe, Tony Scott, etc., etc. But the real point is that when JB finds a combination that is clicking, he will stay with it, even if one or more of the starters is not part of that group.

I agree. And what about Southerland this very year? He played very well in our first 4 games and took as many shots as anybody. He was not the right fit against Virginia Tech so he sat. Is that not playing the hot hand? The five best players against Virginia Tech were unquestionably Triche, Waiters, Joseph, Fair, Melo, and that is who played all the minutes going down the stretch. How is that not playing the hot hand?

WOW you guys are missing the point here. Advanced metrics, linear regression and of course (my personal favorite) usage stats tell us all we will ever need to know and they are always right. ;)

pretty sure he's coming out swingin' early and takes his bad mood out on stanford.i'll bet he's not a good bench buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom