Yard Sale Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Yard Sale Thoughts

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Mentioned in a prior post that I would do a Tomcat style quick re-cap of the Yard Sale this past Saturday at SU.

First off bad job by SU and the lack of communication about the event and start time. I talked to about a half dozen people before hand and I think each one of them had heard a different start time. One of my friends on here was kind enough to give me the correct info and SU did send out something Fri afternoon clarifying the early entry for STH but as you will see they screwed that up.

After hearing STH could get in an hour early at 9 I made the decision to get there early figuring there would be a line. Got there a little after 8 and the line was already about 30 deep. About 10-15 after I got there people really started showing up in big number and by 8:30 it was wrapping around the building. NO idea what time the first people in line got there at but I was little surprised to see that many people there an hour before.

Outside things went pretty smooth you had the usual few people think that we were all standing in line for our health I guess and try to just walk in or go to the front because they though they were STH or something. After being educated they made their way to the back. Ran into board legend Orange Extreme around 830 and he joined me in line. At exactly 8:47 they let the line come in. First let me give SU kudos for starting a little bit early, that's always a plus especially with several hundred people clearly in line. That said SU simply guided people through the display/trophy area and then let everyone and their brother in. No proof was required to indicate you were a STH and even though SU had at least a half dozen employees standing outside the doorway to the field itself they just waved everyone in. I didn't expect this so I was caught off guard but being one of the first In I made the move to the sneakers (far right) while my better half went for sneakers as well which were in the same row but farther down for women. Was able to get two pairs of bball shoes was trying to move somewhat quickly as people were scrambling in at this point so I went with the first few I liked in my size. Most people seemed to be reasonable taking on a few pairs though I did see a few people with the 6+ pairs hoarding whatever they could. SU would do itself a favor to institute a 2 pair per person limit next time (if there is one).

After hitting up the shoes things became kind of a blur. They had long tables with stuff arranged by sizes but some of the sizes were off. I was in the 3X section finding a lot of Double X stuff etc. They also had tubs and cardboard boxes with stuff under the tables that you had to go through as well. SU also was directing people to go over to a big pile of boxes as they entered Manley to keep their stuff in as they shopped. This ended up causing some issues as on at least a half dozen occasions I had people going through my box next to me thinking it was a part of the sale. The sale did have a huge variety of items and it was easy to come across a multitude of great items. As I said some of the sizes didn't match the listed area and some of the clothes were in plastic packaging that listed one size while the actual shirt or item inside had another on the tag. Other then that I thought they did a pretty decent job. There were tons of jackets (all varieties), t shirts, exercise shirts, polo's SU pants, long sleeve shirts, etc etc. I didn't see much in the way of hoodies and shorts but I could have missed them. I did luckily come across two pairs of high quality bball shorts later in the shopping excursion but I think that was more luck then anything else.

The jerseys were in the middle and while I did browse them briefly they looked real small and I wasn't that impressed. Im not really a jersey guy though and I know others were happy with the jersey they got. The back row of the set up contained what I believe was the small through XL sizes and that was a mob scene as unlike the 2-4X tables you could only access one side. I popped over there briefly to shop for someone else and bailed. Will leave comments on that area to someone else who was there. I never made it to the Lax side but heard there was some good items. Wanted to get some Lax shorts but as Arod says "It wasn't in the cards". While most people were pretty friendly SU clearly errored in letting in everyone at once. People were ripping open packages and items were getting tossed all over the place. There were piles of clothes and items just on the floor randomly as you got 30-45 min+ into the sale.

The biggest issues of the day was the checkout process. After about what I would say was a half hour+ of shopping the wife and I decided to go through our boxes and make sure we weren't' going overboard. In the course of doing this the line to check out literally formed in front of and back of us and we were on the opposite side of the check out area halfway down 2x-4XL table. Needless to say we were in line for at least an hour. SU had about a dozen people running credit cards and handling cash but they needed at least another half dozen people if not more. The line to check out literally wrapped around the sale area twice. Most people were in astonishment but got in line and waited. Did have one guy and his two teenage girls caught in late in front of us and a fist fight nearly erupted. Again SU personnel was no where to be seen. There were police walking around inside but they seemed to be more inclined to shop and talk to people they knew then anything else. Apparently later in the day people formed another line and began cutting into people who had been in line for quite some time.

I think I finally made it out of there around 10:45-10:50 with a pretty nice haul but it was definitely a mess inside. SU has to do a much better job of coordinating the entrance and check out process. If your opening an event up to STH early then let in 75 people or so at a time and confirm they are STH, letting in the whole crowd at once was not a smart move. Also as anyone who went knows it was like a sauna in there making the long wait to check out even more brutal. Still kudos to SU to allowing this type of event it allowed people to get some really costly gear at bargain prices.

Pretty accurate from my point of view. Chaos is another word I used frequently on Saturday. I am not sure what I was thinking, but I didn't think there would be that many people there. I was way wrong. I am just glad I got there when I did (about 9:15). Any later and I totally would've missed out.
The biggest problem was the check out. I saw how long the lines were on the one side...there were 4 lines total I believe...I saw a shorter line on the lax side over by the cleats. I hopped in that line. I was still close to 45 minutes in that line.

Pretty accurate from my point of view. Chaos is another word I used frequently on Saturday. I am not sure what I was thinking, but I didn't think there would be that many people there. I was way wrong. I am just glad I got there when I did (about 9:15). Any later and I totally would've missed out.
The biggest problem was the check out. I saw how long the lines were on the one side...there were 4 lines total I believe...I saw a shorter line on the lax side over by the cleats. I hopped in that line. I was still close to 45 minutes in that line.

Chaos is a pretty accurate statement. The checkout lines were a total disaster and that's putting it mildly. When I get in line or it formed around me really there was that line and a second one that ran through the lax gear as you noted that I think you got in. I didn't know about that line until I got so far in that it didn't matter. The lines intermingled with the tables so it was impossible to tell who was doing what or if people were shopping/browsing trying to cut the line or simply wandering around.

I was expecting a good size turnout but I didn't think SU was going to allow everyone in at once and anyone who arrived subsequently. Hopefully someone at SU takes note if they do it again in 3 years.

Let me play devils advocate a bit...

Is it fair to compare this to a normal shopping experience in that you're getting a huge discount on this stuff? If you add a bunch more lines with employees or you add a lot more planning/prep to someone's job description doesn't it stand to reason they'd have to charge more? Doesn't calling it a yard sale imply less structure and a more free form buying experience?

I do think if they advertised that STH would get some kind of advantage, they should have gotten it.

(And of course the flip side is anytime you invite the public onto campus, you should be providing the best experiences possible - so I get that side of it too.)

Let me play devils advocate a bit...

Is it fair to compare this to a normal shopping experience in that you're getting a huge discount on this stuff? If you add a bunch more lines with employees or you add a lot more planning/prep to someone's job description doesn't it stand to reason they'd have to charge more? Doesn't calling it a yard sale imply less structure and a more free form buying experience?

I do think if they advertised that STH would get some kind of advantage, they should have gotten it.

(And of course the flip side is anytime you invite the public onto campus, you should be providing the best experiences possible - so I get that side of it too.)

The set up was mostly fine as SU clearly spent a good amount of time planning and setting up the event. It really only needed a few tweaks to be highly successful and I don't think any of those tweaks would be a huge leap. About half of the people working the event seemed to be summer interns or paid studentd the other half were regular SU employees. They had a woman at the top of the line directing people to a table where about 3-4 people were marking out a sheet with your purchases and then there was another gentlemen who after that was completed directed you to one of the employees on a long table who were cashing people out (once they had an opening). That whole set up was a fine. The main issue was that they let in the entire crowd at once and everyone who showed up subsequently. You had 4-500 people in there and it was to much. Letting in 75-100 people at a time every 15 or 20 minutes would have been a much better plan. Also had they added another half dozen or so people to cash out customers with of 4 them being able to handle credit cards it would have made a huge difference. Your talking a handful more employees for 5 hours hardly a financial burden for SU who probably made the entire payroll for everyone there in the first half hour.

I was there early enough where the STH snub didn't really affect me. But it appears there were quite a few people who showed up at 9 as STH and found chaos who were less then thrilled.

Last edited:
Cornell runs Their sale pretty much the same way.. they have a free for all thats starts at some time 2-3 hrs before or after the scheduled time. they have a line for looking at stuff that wonders into the pay line.. and they have 3-5 people taking money a few taking cash.

they could staff it better but not sure they really care too.

The set up was mostly fine as SU clearly spent a good amount of time planning and setting up the event. It really only needed a few tweaks to be highly successful and I don't think any of those tweaks would be a huge leap. About half of the people working the event seemed to be summer interns or paid studentd the other half were regular SU employees. They had a woman at the top of the line directing people to a table where about 3-4 people were marking out a sheet with your purchases and then there was another gentlemen who after that was completed directed you to one of the employees on a long table who were cashing people out (once they had an opening). That whole set up was a fine. The main issue was that they let in the entire crowd at once and everyone who showed up subsequently. You had 4-500 people in there and it was to much. Letting in 75-100 people at a time every 15 or 20 minutes would have been a much better plan. Also could have added another 6 people to cash out people with of 4 them being able to handle credit cards would have made a huge difference. Your talking a handful more employees for 5 hours hardly a financial burden for SU who probably made the entire payroll for everyone there in the first half hour.

I was there early enough where the STH snub didn't really affect me. But it appears there were quite a few people who showed up at 9 as STH and found chaos who were less then thrilled.

I was one of those less than thrilled STH's. Maybe it was my own fault for thinking it wasn't going to be mobbed as early as it was. I got to Manley around 9:30. Drove around the North parking lot only to find nothing there. Drove over to the South side and that had to be 2/3rds full. Walked in knowing at this point I was probably just wasting my time. Most everything was pretty well picked over by this time. I might have had something worthwhile if I wore a 2 or 3XL but otherwise any organization was lost. There were still a couple small things I might have been interested in, but at this point the checkout lines were hard to distinguish, they just wrapped around everywhere and I wasn't about to stand in that mess for 2 hours to check out. So I just walked out, very disappointed.

Not sure what I expected, but was hoping for a little bonus for being a STH that obviously didn't materialize. One obvious thing I realized is I'm not cut out for competitive shopping. All the idiots that want to get up and fight over a T-shirt or whatever else can have it. Never again.

I was there. It was overwhelming but I got a few things I liked. Your description was right on Jeremy.

I was one of those less than thrilled STH's. Maybe it was my own fault for thinking it wasn't going to be mobbed as early as it was. I got to Manley around 9:30. Drove around the North parking lot only to find nothing there. Drove over to the South side and that had to be 2/3rds full. Walked in knowing at this point I was probably just wasting my time. Most everything was pretty well picked over by this time. I might have had something worthwhile if I wore a 2 or 3XL but otherwise any organization was lost. There were still a couple small things I might have been interested in, but at this point the checkout lines were hard to distinguish, they just wrapped around everywhere and I wasn't about to stand in that mess for 2 hours to check out. So I just walked out, very disappointed.

Not sure what I expected, but was hoping for a little bonus for being a STH that obviously didn't materialize. One obvious thing I realized is I'm not cut out for competitive shopping. All the idiots that want to get up and fight over a T-shirt or whatever else can have it. Never again.

I feel your pain, I am not a competitive shopper either unlike my wife who was ready to thrown down. If I had come at the same time you did I would have left to.

Probably not comforting but I have heard multiple other people mention that they underestimated the size and earliness of the crowd as you noted in your post. I had a feeling that this was going to be more popular then people though being that it was 3 years since the last one and that the event was getting a lot of play on Syracuse.com and social media. When you got there you probably could have scored some decent stuff but as you noted the check out lines looked like a maze and it was so hot in there and so many people I don't blame you for turning around and walking out. the Bigger size 2 and 3x had probably the biggest variety if you include 2X-4X so if your a bigger person like me you could have gotten some good stuff probably through the sale.

Hopefully they do something to make it up to the STH who really got left in the cold on this one. If they do this again they really should like at doing a STH timeslot the night before. Maybe something like STH from 6-9:30 and then the general public the next day.

if just the STH showed up it still may have been pretty busy, they might have wanted to track it a bit better so that could improve it next time.

I cracked a joke in line that it was better attended than most football games. I got lucky as one of my season ticket seatmates got there about 10 minutes before I did and probably saved me half the wait to get in.

I got one pair of shoes and a nice polo before things got crazy. Count me on the non-competitive shopping crowd. I looked around for my buddy and there were people 3 or 4 deep at the different merch tables so I decided it was time for me to go.

I checked out before the really big lines formed for that so after hearing some stories from here and elsewhere I'm glad I left when I did. If they ever do it again I'll be sure to get there extra early.

This may be too hard to quantify, but how good were the deals? Was a typical $65 SU Nike Polo like $40 or $15? Or a pair of $100 Nike shoes $75 or $35? Just wondering what percentage off the normal price, and if it was good enough to make it worth it. I love shopping and I love SU gear, I was sad to live in Ohio today (or everyday;))

I was solely there for the jersey's, although I did get two pairs of shoes. I mean for the price, how could you not? Super happy with the jerseys I got. I'm not going to wear them, just going to frame them and add them to the memorabilia I'm collecting for the man cave. Maybe try and get Ish to sign his. Idk. Had a blast, although, I'm the kind of person who goes out on Black Friday just to watch the madness.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This may be too hard to quantify, but how good were the deals? Was a typical $65 SU Nike Polo like $40 or $15? Or a pair of $100 Nike shoes $75 or $35? Just wondering what percentage off the normal price, and if it was good enough to make it worth it. I ilove shopping and I love SU gear, I was sad to live in Ohio today (or everyday;))

$30

image.jpeg

I feel your pain, I am not a competitive shopper either unlike my wife who was ready to thrown down. If I had come at the same time you did I would have left to.

Probably not comforting but I have heard multiple other people mention that they underestimated the size and earliness of the crowd as you noted in your post. I had a feeling that this was going to be more popular then people though being that it was 3 years since the last one and that the event was getting a lot of play on Syracuse.com and social media. When you got there you probably could have scored some decent stuff but as you noted the check out lines looked like a maze and it was so hot in there and so many people I don't blame you for turning around and walking out. the Bigger size 2 and 3x had probably the biggest variety if you include 2X-4X so if your a bigger person like me you could have gotten some good stuff probably through the sale.

Hopefully they do something to make it up to the STH who really got left in the cold on this one. If they do this again they really should like at doing a STH timeslot the night before. Maybe something like STH from 6-9:30 and then the general public the next day.

The one thing I'll take from this is that I don't want to hear anyone complain about SUs marketing or lack there of. This did not get a huge marketing push, although did get some coverage on Syracuse.com. Just an email address or 2 to those on their lists and half the damn county showed up before 10:00. So to those that want to blame the lack of commercials for any attendance woes, this should quiet those calls. Its not the marketing, it's the product. But hopefully Dino is the one to make it a desirable ticket again.

The one thing I'll take from this is that I don't want to hear anyone complain about SUs marketing or lack there of. This did not get a huge marketing push, although did get some coverage on Syracuse.com. Just an email address or 2 to those on their lists and half the damn county showed up before 10:00. So to those that want to blame the lack of commercials for any attendance woes, this should quiet those calls. Its not the marketing, it's the product. But hopefully Dino is the one to make it a desirable ticket again.
I was stunned by turnout

Minimum marketing but a packed house

Great point

Sent my buddy out there to get me lax shorts and i got shut out. Dissappointed about it. Cant seem to find them on the internet either

Last edited:
This may be too hard to quantify, but how good were the deals? Was a typical $65 SU Nike Polo like $40 or $15? Or a pair of $100 Nike shoes $75 or $35? Just wondering what percentage off the normal price, and if it was good enough to make it worth it. I love shopping and I love SU gear, I was sad to live in Ohio today (or everyday;))

I got Nike SU sneakers for $30. 3 men's SU men's drifit basketball Nike polo shirts for $60, 3 SU lacrosse hats for $15, 2 SU women's dry fit Nike v neck shirts for $20 on and on. The most expensive item was the Nike running shoes for $30, most everything else was $10 or $20 each. I purchased 13 items for $200 exactly that would have cost me more than $500 even on sale. Well worth it. Thank God I have a family filled with SU fans - should be a good Christmas!

I got Nike SU sneakers for $30. 3 men's SU men's drifit basketball Nike polo shirts for $60, 3 SU lacrosse hats for $15, 2 SU women's dry fit Nike v neck shirts for $20 on and on. The most expensive item was the Nike running shoes for $30, most everything else was $10 or $20 each. I purchased 13 items for $200 exactly that would have cost me more than $500 even on sale. Well worth it. Thank God I have a family filled with SU fans - should be a good Christmas!
Honestly, those deals sound amazing... breaks my heart even more I couldn't be there, haha. Thanks for sharing!

I've been curious to know the fate of one person and their dilemma that arose upon checking out. Apparently, they had picked up a pair of size 15 shoes and had second thoughts about purchasing them. The unfortunate part was that their car keys were in that box they put back on the table. They were asking a lot of shoppers in line if the had any of that size shoes among the items they were purchasing. After reflecting upon that predicament, I remarked to my son that our experience could've been worse.

I really appreciated people placing items in piles on the floor as I ended up with a few of those items, especially stuff like socks and tights. My son and I had plenty of time to peruse while the other waited in line.

This is my attempt to put a good spin on the really long lines: it gave me time to pick up items for loved ones. For instance, in the mad rush, I hadn't picked up anything for my young daughter. While in line, spying the women's lacrosse and field hockey jerseys made me realize the tight fit could allow her to wear them. She really appreciated that I picked up a few for her.

Spent WAY too much money, but my and I have had fun comparing retail prices in the stores with what we ended up with.

In all, my teenager and I had a great time. Having it coincide with our summer weather reprieve vacation from North Carolina was fortuitous. While it was indeed stifling inside the field house, I still found it better than the triple digit heat index that I would have been exposed to down south.

If it was just me, I would have made the drive up from PY just for it. But my ol man and little brother would have rolled with me, and neither would have been excited for the craziness that I kind of assumed it would be (I didn't think it would be as crazy as you guys said it way, holy cow)

It did give me a chance to go scout my 8 year old God son's football game tho (yes sir, I got to name him), and his name is (leaving out his last name) Eli Manning Ryan (his mom, my cousin, called me one day telling me the father was out of the picture, and since I was like a big brother I could name the kid) Told her I needed a couple days to think, take this seriously and all... The next day the Giants came back from like down 14 to beat philly, I was hammered. Called her up, gave her the name (she added the "Ryan" part) and boom. She's a cowboys fan (but apparently not a diehard fan, because I wouldn't let someone, even if they just saved my life, name my first born tony Romo, kill me instead)

Kid comes from a long line of ballers. My cousin (her oldest brother) was a beast in Geneva then helped lead Dundee to their first sectional championship in god knows how long..got offers from Nebraska and Ohio state, grades took him to Alfred, line backer and tight end. His brother led Dundee to a sectional championship at QB. Eli ran 4 in for a TD, all from the 40, had a sack and a couple tackles. A good Cuse fan too.

Long story short.. Troop is drunk and misses his NY family. Hopefully be on that side of the world soon.

I did tweet babers to let him know he owes me a beer tho.. I extended my trip home 4 days to catch fan fest. Pretty sure that burned up enough leave to keep me from going to the ACC tourney, or Pearls tribute game

"Young People These Days"
August 17, 2016

Dear Orange Friends:

Earlier this summer I was on a flight and the middle-aged woman next to me spent most of the time lamenting “young people these days.” I don’t talk much on planes, and I spent the flight trying to come up with a rejoinder that would not simply prolong the complaint. I wish I could have seen into the future and told her about two experiences I had just this week.

The first was a visit to the final summer presentations of the McNair scholars. The McNair program is named in honor of Ronald McNair, the second African American to fly in space, who was killed in the 1986 explosion of the space shuttle Challenger. The program supports undergraduate students who are first-generation college students with financial need or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education. The program rigorously prepares them to conduct research and advance to graduate schools.

What I saw in the Shemin Auditorium at the Shaffer Art Building that day were students who had worked their hearts out all summer to learn how to do meaningful research to help others, and who were aiming high.

The second was a visit on Saturday to the Ensley Indoor Practice Facility to watch our men’s soccer team in a spirited scrimmage against the University of New Hampshire. There I learned about the teamwork displayed by some of our student-athletes earlier that day. The athletics department had held a massive “yard sale” of surplus clothing and equipment in Manley Field House that day, where thousands of Syracuse fans had waited in great heat and long lines to shop. As the sale was drawing to a close, large numbers of leftover cleats had to be packed up as well as over 100 tables and racks to be taken down. The athletics department staff, from top to bottom, looked truly worn out and was still finishing up the sale. At the same time, thunderstorms caused abrupt cancellation of the practice of our field hockey team and the team came into Manley from the canceled practice. The women of our field hockey team—many of whom I watched win a national championship against North Carolina in the fall—then joined the staff and offered to help get the packing done. Every young lady on that team rolled up her sleeves, packed cleats, and cleaned up tables until Manley Field House was empty. They completed it in about one frenzied hour, which was greatly appreciated by the staff.

Next time someone rolls his eyes to you about “young people these days,” I hope you will smile and remember the Syracuse McNair scholars and the Syracuse field hockey team. By my lights, Syracuse young people these days are doing just fine.
Sincerely,

syverud-transparent-200.png

Chancellor Kent Syverud

"Young People These Days"
August 17, 2016

Dear Orange Friends:

Earlier this summer I was on a flight and the middle-aged woman next to me spent most of the time lamenting “young people these days.” I don’t talk much on planes, and I spent the flight trying to come up with a rejoinder that would not simply prolong the complaint. I wish I could have seen into the future and told her about two experiences I had just this week.

The first was a visit to the final summer presentations of the McNair scholars. The McNair program is named in honor of Ronald McNair, the second African American to fly in space, who was killed in the 1986 explosion of the space shuttle Challenger. The program supports undergraduate students who are first-generation college students with financial need or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education. The program rigorously prepares them to conduct research and advance to graduate schools.

What I saw in the Shemin Auditorium at the Shaffer Art Building that day were students who had worked their hearts out all summer to learn how to do meaningful research to help others, and who were aiming high.

The second was a visit on Saturday to the Ensley Indoor Practice Facility to watch our men’s soccer team in a spirited scrimmage against the University of New Hampshire. There I learned about the teamwork displayed by some of our student-athletes earlier that day. The athletics department had held a massive “yard sale” of surplus clothing and equipment in Manley Field House that day, where thousands of Syracuse fans had waited in great heat and long lines to shop. As the sale was drawing to a close, large numbers of leftover cleats had to be packed up as well as over 100 tables and racks to be taken down. The athletics department staff, from top to bottom, looked truly worn out and was still finishing up the sale. At the same time, thunderstorms caused abrupt cancellation of the practice of our field hockey team and the team came into Manley from the canceled practice. The women of our field hockey team—many of whom I watched win a national championship against North Carolina in the fall—then joined the staff and offered to help get the packing done. Every young lady on that team rolled up her sleeves, packed cleats, and cleaned up tables until Manley Field House was empty. They completed it in about one frenzied hour, which was greatly appreciated by the staff.

Next time someone rolls his eyes to you about “young people these days,” I hope you will smile and remember the Syracuse McNair scholars and the Syracuse field hockey team. By my lights, Syracuse young people these days are doing just fine.
Sincerely,

syverud-transparent-200.png

Chancellor Kent Syverud
Great story! I appreciate the time the chancellor took to write the piece and stick up for our young people. To often in today's society, people make generalized comments that do not reflect the way everyone thinks or feels. It's great that our chancellor thinks it's important enough to address.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom