Year 3 Tends to be When You Kinda, Sorta Know... | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Year 3 Tends to be When You Kinda, Sorta Know...

I hope no one is expecting the next coach to produce a winning program by the third year.

It's not happening,

I know he's a one of a kind saint but Saint Doug turned us into a winning team just 2 years after GRob.

I don't think the next guy will have nearly as big of a hill to climb. He will already have his Paulus, if they can keep him upright the rest of the year.

Of course, if the whole team transfers...

As long as that up and coming coordinator understands college offense in 2015 and hasn't at one point said "Stats are for losers" I like my chances that he can do just as well managing a game as my Madden-playing nephew.

So you want to start over with learning on the job? With nothing as far as stats to prove said coordinator can do the job. Good thing stats are for losers.

So you would rather take what is unknown behind curtain number 3...

Alsacs said:
Kinda but not 100% what I was saying. if you want to say the offense wasn't stocked up and we are playing youth okay. I don't agree with this because DM left a stud OL and good RB stable. On D we can't use the youth excuse when this is year 3 of SS. The D was left stocked up and this year's results are 100% on SS and not on what DM left. As DM left enough for SS to fill it back up and not get caught with his pants down.

As Bee's said where are all the seniors and juniors?! Where did they go?

I'd add - for offense too? Where's our stud WR recruited to take over for Lemon? QB?

Been talking about an air raid offense for decades...key word "talking". Been talking about a lot of things.

What makes you think we can hire a Mike Leach type and for what SU is willing to pay? We will get another up and coming coordinator and be in the same spot learning on the job just like Shafer is doing.

How many coaches have we hired in our history with D1 head coaching experience? Yep Zero

Please explain to me why "now is the time"? There are candidates out there every year.

$87,647,822 in total Ath. Dept revenue, 31st in D-1A,
$38,532,172 in revenue from football, 32nd in D-1A,
$ 29,766,537 in revenue from basketball, 2nd in D-1A,
$ 15,569,626 earning after expense, 7th in D-1A.

Money is there to step up and hire from the AAC, CUSA, MAC pool.

Where are the juniors and seniors on defense? They would have been in the program for 4 and 5 years.
Eskridge left early.
Donnie Simmons John Raymon Srs., Wayne Morgan,Ron Thompson and Luke Arciniega(JUCO), Hodge Jrs.

I won't list #1 out of respect for his performance this year. SS should have recruited better in the secondary. The LBs are young and show promise.

However, SS wasn't handed a bare cupboard on defense in 2013 by 2015 the D should not be taking this backwards step unless you are convinced the youth will get better. I put this D on SS not what he was left.

Last edited:
So you want to start over with learning on the job? With nothing as far as stats to prove said coordinator can do the job. Good thing stats are for losers.

So you would rather take what is unknown behind curtain number 3...
Absolutely.

I'd much prefer a guy learning on the job in Year #1 than a guy who has proven he is incapable of learning on the job in Year #4.

That said - I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Syracuse can't somehow land someone who is currently a head coach from, say, the MAC.

$87,647,822 in total Ath. Dept revenue, 31st in D-1A,
$38,532,172 in revenue from football, 32nd in D-1A,
$ 29,766,537 in revenue from basketball, 2nd in D-1A,
$ 15,569,626 earning after expense, 7th in D-1A.

Money is there to step up and hire from the AAC, CUSA, MAC pool.

LOL, are you serious?

Money is there to spend according to who? You?

You must not have read my post. Stanford has $270 million in athletic endowments alone, SU has a TOTAL endowment of $1Billion dollars.

In comparison, Stanford's TOTAL endowment is $24 BILLION dollars where SU's is $1 Billion.

The schools are not comparable on any level, next question.

Stanford could buy SU 24 times over.

CuseOnly said:
I think a better set of stats that would relate better to Syracuse Football would be if you did the same thing and collected the same stats for teams ranked 25-80. After all, if Shafer is fired, we will not be getting a coach that has a team in the top 25. Most likely not be getting a HC with D1 experience at all which is why I am against letting him go.

No offense, but I think you missed the point.

For starters, I did include programs in the others receiving votes, so that's 25-35. And many, if not most, of the coaches I examined took over programs *not* in the top 25. That was kind of the point of the whole exercise.

We want to look at coaches currently in the top 25-35 to see how they built their program. Looking at the coach of a team at #60 right now is not what we're trying to achieve, no?

LOL, are you serious?

You must not have read my post. Stanford has $270 million in athletic endowments alone, SU has a TOTAL endowment of $1Billion dollars.

In comparison, Stanford's TOTAL endowment is $24 BILLION dollars where SU's is $1 Billion.

$24 billion for the Stanford football program? I find that hard to believe. Where do your numbers come from?

$24 billion for the Stanford football program? I find that hard to believe. Where do your numbers come from?

You must have missed the part where i said TOTAL endowment.

The football program's endowment alone is over $270 mil which is about 25% of what SU's total endowment is.

Pretty easy to find the numbers...google.

The football program's endowment alone is over $270 mil which is about 25% of what SU's total endowment is.

How does that prove that Syracuse can't afford to take a talented head coach from a minor FBS conference?

LOL, are you serious?

Where did I mention Stanford? Where in the post I was responding to was Stanford mentioned?

There's no reason for SU to be in the middle of P5 revenues, top in net after expenses, and bottom of FB staff salaries.

I googled it and found that in 2013 Stanford had $270 million total athletic endowment, which led the nation (more than twice as much as #2 Notre Dame). No idea where you got your $24 billion athletic endowment number.

Alsacs said:
Eskridge left early. Donnie Simmons John Raymon Srs., Wayne Morgan,Ron Thompson and Luke Arciniega(JUCO), Hodge Jrs. I won't list #1 out of respect for his performance this year. SS should have recruited better in the secondary. The LBs are young and show promise. However, SS wasn't handed a bare cupboard on defense in 2013 by 2015 the D should not be taking this backwards step unless you are convinced the youth will get better. I put this D on SS not what he was left.

So you acknowledge that we lost a lot for whatever reason or weren't left with much in the junior/senior class. We areas very very young defense especially in 2 areas most important. DT and DB. The defense most certainly should be taking a backwards step. We all predicted it. Lost 8 starters and instead of back filling with 4th and 5th year players we had to go with the kids. So yea, I cut him slack for the defense this year. 8 starters gone and youth plugging the holes. Not surprised one bit. And they will get better. Shafer had almost always had a good defense.

GoSU96 said:
Where did I mention Stanford? Where in the post I was responding to was Stanford mentioned? There's no reason for SU to be in the middle of P5 revenues, top in net after expenses, and bottom of FB staff salaries.

Those numbers have never jived with the ad being in the red many years.

orangenirvana said:
I googled it and found that in 2013 Stanford had $270 million total athletic endowment, which led the nation (more than twice as much as #2 Notre Dame). No idea where you got your $24 billion athletic endowment number.

He said 270m for athletics and 24b for the school in total.

He said 270m for athletics and 24b for the school in total.
He said "the football program's endowment alone is over $270 mil." I don't think 100% of the athletic endowment goes to football.

orangenirvana said:
He said "the football program's endowment alone is over $270 mil." I don't think 100% of the athletic endowment goes to football.

Regardless of what number it is - both are bigger than ours, no?

orangenirvana said:

Here's what he first said and you responded too. He is right.

CuseOnly, post: 1536798 said:
LOL, are you serious?

In comparison, Stanfords TOTAL endowment is $24 BILLION dollars where SUs is $1 Billion.

Here's what he first said and you responded too. He is right.

CuseOnly, post: 1536798 said:
LOL, are you serious?

In comparison, Stanfords TOTAL endowment is $24 BILLION dollars where SUs is $1 Billion.

So because Stanford has more rich and generous alums than any university in the nation, that is supposed to somehow prove that Syracuse can't afford a head coach from the MAC or CUSA? I'm not seeing it.

orangenirvana said:
So because Stanford has more rich and generous alums than any university in the nation, that is supposed to somehow prove that Syracuse can't afford a head coach from the MAC or CUSA? I'm not seeing it.

They can gamble on a HC without financial repercussions being that damaging. The can fire a guy earlier and move onto the next hot name.

They can gamble on a HC without financial repercussions being that damaging. The can fire a guy earlier and move onto the next hot name.
How much of that $270 is going to the football program, though? Probably not as much as one thinks.

It's a much bigger gamble and more potentially damaging to keep a bad head coach than it is to dump him and replace him with an upgrade asap.

The $270 million is the sports endowment. I was looking at the wrong number with regard to the total endowment, it is actually 21 Billion (in 2014) which is about 21x what SU's total endowment.

http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...6/10-universities-with-the-largest-endowments

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

Does SU even have an athletic endowment?

How much of that $270 is going to the football program, though? Probably not as much as one thinks.

It's a much bigger gamble and more potentially damaging to keep a bad head coach than it is to dump him and replace him with an upgrade asap.

Who cares how much is for football, they could buy us a new stadium with that money and not bat an eye.

How many coaches' contracts could they buy out until they find the right one without having to worry about it affecting their budget? About 100...

For SU to fire a coach and have to pay the buyout could be devastating to the athletic budget for a few years is the point. That part of the equation doesn't exist for schools like Stanford.

With the factories, Alabama, Oklahoma, ND, FSU, etc. they rely on boosters to pay the buyout most of the time so it doesn't hit the budget at all. Simply put, we don't have that.

CuseOnly said:
Who cares how much is for football, they could buy us a new stadium with that money and not bat an eye. How many coaches' contracts could they buy out until they find the right one without having to worry about it affecting their budget? About 100... For SU to fire a coach and have to pay the buyout could be devastating to the athletic budget for a few years is the point. That part of the equation doesn't exist for schools like Stanford. With the factories, Alabama, Oklahoma, ND, FSU, etc. they rely on boosters to pay the buyout most of the time so it doesn't hit the budget at all. Simply put, we don't have that.

Even with Alsacs chipping in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom