Year-End Final Grades (Part II) | Syracusefan.com

Year-End Final Grades (Part II)

billsin01

All American
Now we're on to the meat and potatoes.

Oshae Brissett: A
The Grade:
One of the tougher guys to grade because the raw numbers are at once phenomenal (A frosh going for 15 and 9 while playing 38 mpg without a ton of talent around him) and leaving a bit to be desired (shooting 35% overall and 36% on two-point FGs ain't pretty). Decided to knock a few points off (as in not an A+) b/c there is plenty of room for improvement, but dude did everything we could have asked and more.

The Good: Biggest compliment for Oshae is that you basically forgot all aobut his being a freshman. No talk of hitting 'a wall' or getting caught in the moment. Dude just played and produced. His ACC numbers are basically identical to his OOC numbers (14.8 ppg and 8.1 rpg). Physically he's a nightmare for opponents -- explosive, physical, aggressive, confident, etc. Quietly shot 38% from three in ACC play so he can kill you from anywhere. Fit into the zone nicely even if he's not a huge difference-maker there. A max effort player, which is sort of a trend for these guys.

The Bad: Really basically comes down to some struggles with the finer points of the game. Obviously needs to be more efficient inside the 3-point line and particularly inside 12 feet. Would love to see him consistently work on that 12-to-15-foot jumper so he can do that in addition to attacking the rim. Also love to see him go straight up instead of contorting the body a little bit.

The Future:It's bright. Not a whole lot more to say. Doubt the numbers will take a huge leap since there's a very real chance that Bazely, Carey and Dolezaj will be solid contributors offensively and we could see more offense out of the C position. But in an ideal world it's possible this is a kid who puts up 16 or 17 a game on 45% shooting overall and maybe close to 40% from three while also being a nice option at the end of close games due to his ability to go inside and out and knock down FTs.

Marek Dolezaj: A-
The Grade:
I'm sure people will hate that I have him in the same range as a much more productive player in Brissett, but I think most people here thought he would give us absolutely nothing this season. It's also Dolezaj's late-season improvement that took us from being a team that could give good team fits to being a team that could actually close out some wins against good teams.

The Good: I love the kid's game. That turnover he had early against Duke (when he threw it directly to Duval) stands out to me b/c it's the type of play I think he basically never makes -- a silly turnover after a bad decision. Very instinctive on the court. Started playing more aggressively late and made a ton of key buckets and plays in general from the clemson game on. Just one of those guys who does a lot of things to help you win even if many of them don't show up in the stat sheet (like a Josh Pace type). I always love those guys.

The Bad: Weak, obviously. Range on the J is a little iffy though it looked better from 15 later in the season. A little loose when he puts the ball on the deck. Could be more aggressive when looking to finish.

The Future: I think he's going to play a big role next year regardless of who's on the roster. JB loves players he trusts and he trusts Dolezaj in a big way. The beauty of that would be if Bazely is as advertised and Brissett is improved AND we have a healthy Sidibe and Chuckwu. You could see JB get five guys PT in the front court on the reg. God that would be a nice change. I would think there are two big keys for Dolezaj -- weight room and jumpers. Handle is a thing that could use help, but I don't see it as absolutely necessary. A little stronger, a little more consistent with the J, he's going to be a handful.

Frank Howard: B-
The Grade:
This will infuriate people, I know. But at the end of the day, the dude logged 40 mpg on a team with zero depth and really only one reliable scorer (Frank was OK and Brissett great for a frosh, but pretty inefficient). And that team wound up in the sweet 16 and gave a really talented duke team all it could handle. I'm not sure how you crush a guy for that.

The Good: The key to this for me is what are you asking of a player? We have had very few guys here who put up pretty numbers when asked to be the primary ball-handler, the primary facilitator, a key cog on defense, one of our shooters and play 40 minutes a game. There are the sherms and johnny Flynns but the guys put into that role by and large, have had trouble with putting up pretty numbers -- GMac (the most overrated player in the league), J Hart (who played 9 or 10 years in the league), MCW (rookie of the year), etc. Those guys all had pretty poor shooting numbers and struggled (maybe not quite to Frank's extent) with turnovers. And the key thing for Frank is that he's not actually a true PG. Probably never will be.

But, at the end of the day, dude had some big games in some key wins (UMD, UB, L'ville, MSU), played really well to give us a chance against Carolina (and was great against Kansas) and played well enough overall for a limited team to limp into the tourney. Can you ask that much more of a kid who played sparingly as a frosh and struggled mightily as a soph.?

The Bad: Handle and decision-making. We all would have liked to see this team play at a faster clip but I think that's a bit more on the decision made by the staff to limit possessions and fast break opportunities. We all would have LOVED to see some actual player and ball-movement, but again, not really sure that's on Frank. The handle is far too loose for a lead guard and should be the focus for the summer. Thought sutomcat made a great point in his wrapup of the duke game that Frank needs to become a better shooter when the shots are contested. If he's wide open he's really solid. If not, he really struggles. Not sure we'll ever love the decision-making but it should get better after all the minutes logged this season and it should look better with more talent around him next year. Would also love to see Frank make a concerted effort to move shooters off a spot even if it's from 25 feet. Watched a lot of deep bombs dropped right over his head by being a step late.

The Future: Frank's back and it will be really nice to have a meaningful senior on a team. I'd have to imagine he'll be at point again and I have to imagine that will continue to lead to some angst among those of us fans. Doubt the kid's game will go from excruciating to watch at times, to smooth and mistake-free, but I'm absolutely in the camp of thinking he will have a very solid senior season and, most importantly, benefit from being in a situation where he shouldn't A) have to play 40 mins. and B) have to wear quite so many hats.

Tyus Battle: A
The Grade:
You can nitpick his game and many of us did over the course of the season, but this kid was also asked to shoulder a monstrous load and he did so pretty well.

The Good: you can go through the numbers and Tyus was impressive in many ways but to me it boils down to one stat and one stretech. The stat: Battle averaged 40.1 mpg in ACC play. Think about that. Never came off the floor for all intents and purposes. The stretch is the stretch of games from the Clemson finale to the final game against Duke. Goes for 17 (an ugly 17, but 17 nonetheless) in an absolute must-win against Clemson, then puts up a super-efficient 18, 6 and 3 against Wake. Struggles mightily against Carolina but is literally chasing down backcourt passes with 40 seconds left in a 20-point blowout. Key to our win against ASU, struggles against TCU but bounces back with a huge stretch run against MSU (played under control in that one) and puts together his best performance of the year, IMO, against Duke. Kid grinded all year and came up big in big spots more often than not. Tomcat also pointed out that Battle improved in terms of creating for teammates as the year wore on as well.

The Bad: There's certainly room to improve. Spotty shooter who desperately needs to address the hitch, IMO, to increase his range a little bit. The only time I got frustrated with Battle was when he'd get a wide-open look and clank it off the side of the rim. Just feel like that's a sign of a guy who needs to smooth out his mechanics. Could be better off the bounce as well. But, again, a pretty impressive player overall.

The Future: We all know it's likely he's gone and if he is, I hope he does really well. Not sure what I think of his prospects at the next level but, I know this is a shocker, I've been wrong before so who knows? If he were to return, it would be a lot of fun to see a more finished product with more talent around him. That would be something.

JB: B+
The Good:
JB always works magic when the roster is a bit limited (it was really the most surprising part of the first half of last season -- that it took him half a season to figure it out). This year was no exception. The run in the NCAAT is great, but the biggest credit I give him is the fact that this team was really only run out of the gym about four times in 37 games. At Duke, at BC -- two games I thought ended the season -- Round 2 vs. UVA and Kansas. That's a miracle considering what he was working with. Fought extremely hard all season.

The team didn't let injuries and departures slow them down. They doubled down on what they did best -- defend and, surprisingly, rebound (for the most part, MSU excluded). And, as much as anything else, they didn't give up on the season at any point.

There will be things you can pick apart with most every Orange team, but I'll remember this one fondly ... even if the style was atrocious.

The Bad: I actually don't hammer JB too much for the roster construction -- I see that as a confluence of a few things (Those things are, for reference: The sanctions hurt the depth by reducing the schollies; the transition plan which teams are going to pounce on again a few years down the road ... it's the way of the world; the cumulative effect of a ridiculously fluid world of college hoops where continuity is tough to come by; and what I see as a slight shift in recruitment -- I know they wanted quade and jordan tucker, but taking HW, Hughes, Sidibe and Marek always seemed like an effort to bring in guys you were likely to see for 3-4 years even if it hurt a bit in the this, the 'transition' year.).

What I think JB could have done is handle personnel situations better. Not really sure why the Geno blowup happened but it could have been avoided. Not really sure why the Moyer thing happened but it shouldn't have happened to begin with and if it did get to that point it shouldn't have been handled through the media. What's done is done with both, but the Moyer situation is pretty painful, IMO. A guy with some bulk and length along with decent athleticism and a phenomenal motor/attitude may not hurt this coming year but we could feel it in '19-'20 and beyond.

The Future: The wolves that were closing in at the end of the season uttering that '2018-'19 better be a good year or else' stuff are at bay thanks to the last two weeks. The old man who let the game pass him by proved, again, that the game actually hasn't passed him by and is in good position to coach for I'm guessing at least 3-4 more years.

That said, it'll be interesting to see what we look like the next few years. It would be awfully nice to see the return of some tempo next year when we should have some pretty impressive depth. It would be awfully nice to see an offense with more sophistication and more movement. But the biggest thing for me is that I would love to see us avoiding some of the transfer situations. Maybe that means we never see a Taurean Thompson. Maybe that means we have to be more sensitive dealing with Moyer's injury. whatever it takes, it would be nice to see a bit of a tweak in management of the personnel -- a staff that is in lock-step with it's players instead of seeming to be at odds quite often.

Either way, we should do our best to enjoy the remaining years of the JB era.

Last edited:
very nice analysis. i think your concluding grade on frank was a bit low. i think he was a solid b and arguably a b+.

conversely, hard to give a full a to ty and ohsae when they shooting in the 30's.

all of the guys in this post had to assume larger roles than should have been necessary on a better balanced team.

gotta add jimmy to the mix. he gets an a for getting the most out of the roster and a d for roster construction.

Given expectations (and the cr.ap he takes on this forum), I think you low-balled Frank. He was so important to us at season's end, and especially in the post-season. I would have given him a B+

I actually had it as a B and felt I was perhaps it was a bit generous. I can see the argument on both sides. I actually thought people would be posting that I was an idiot for having him in the B range.

very nice analysis. i think your concluding grade on frank was a bit low. i think he was a solid b and arguably a b+.

conversely, hard to give a full a to ty and ohsae when they shooting in the 30's.

all of the guys in this post had to assume larger roles than should have been necessary on a better balanced team.

gotta add jimmy to the mix. he gets an a for getting the most out of the roster and a d for roster construction.

I'll add a writeup on JB. Can see that for Frank, as I mentioned I originally had him as a B but dropped it to a b- b/c I was thinking of all the things I think he can improve on for next season (closeouts defensively, decision-making, ball-handling, making the occasional contested look) and I ended up making it lower. Obviously it's completely subjective.

Just like your part I, another great analysis and write up. These things are very hard to do. I do disagree just a bit on each one however. I will say that while the 3 main guys were asked to do a lot and do it for 40 mins, I don’t think there were any A’s which is the highest grade in my mind since SU doesn’t use A+’s. :)

Brissett: A-

Great year for a true frosh. Only the constant missed layups and sometimes out of control drives keeps him from an A. Love the guy though.

Dolezaj: B+

Second half of the season was closer to an A- but it took him half the season to start figuring things out. He had I think 6 games where he didn’t even score. But he sure came on late for us and showed multiple skills.

Howard: B+

Thought the B- was way too low and as others have said, a B or B+ is more appropriate. I initially had it a B until I wrote the following.

- Greatly improved over last year and exceeded expectations.
- Led the ACC in steals
- 5th in the ACC in assists on a team that was last in the league in assists because we struggled scoring.
- Voted 1st team ACC all defense by the ACC media.
- Came in 2nd for Most Improved.
- Second half of the season including the NCAA’s, greatly reduced his turnovers to just over 2 during that period.
- Was the only vocal leader on the court even when he didn’t have the ball.

IMO, that doesn’t say B-. Solid B+. The negatives obviously keep it from an A-.

Battle: A-

Almost gave him the only A but like I said early on, I don’t think anyone had an A season. But I can’t argue with anyone giving him an A especially since he was “the man” and opponents knew that. Thought he started doing a better job later in the season looking to distribute the ball when he went ISO and nothing clean was there. Also would have liked to see a little more rebounding. But that could have been scheme since Frank seemed to go more to the defensive boards and we didn’t want both guards getting caught inside.

Thanks for the initiative to put your post together.

Yeah, giving PC a B+ and Frank a B- makes no sense to me whatsoever. If you are grading vs expectations, I still don't see it that close between those two. Frank was a really good player for most of the season and absolutely no one (except that one guy who has now disappeared) expected that from him. I'll leave it there.

And Brissett should have been knocked down a half grade or so for his disappearing act against bigger name teams throughout the regular season as well as his inability to finish strong.

Without Frank we don't win nine games -- not nine flugging games. B+.

Great post. Thanks for taking the time and effort to write this up.

I agree. He fought through a tapped hand and even strep throat while basically always on the court. Bringing the ball up against pressure and playing defense at the top of the zone meant he had no rest. Compared to where he was last year, I would almost be inclined to give him an A or A- but B+ seems about right.

Just like your part I, another great analysis and write up. These things are very hard to do. I do disagree just a bit on each one however. I will say that while the 3 main guys were asked to do a lot and do it for 40 mins, I don’t think there were any A’s which is the highest grade in my mind since SU doesn’t use A+’s. :)

Great year for a true frosh. Only the constant missed layups and sometimes out of control drives keeps him from an A. Love the guy though.

Second half of the season was closer to an A- but it took him half the season to start figuring things out. He had I think 6 games where he didn’t even score. But he sure came on late for us and showed multiple skills.

Thought the B- was way too low and as others have said, a B or B+ is more appropriate. I initially had it a B until I wrote the following.

- Led the ACC in steals
- 5th in the ACC in assists on a team that was last in the league in assists because we struggled scoring.
- Second half of the season including the NCAA’s, greatly reduced his turnovers to just over 2 during that period.

Almost gave him the only A but like I said early on, I don’t think anyone had an A season. But I can’t argue with anyone giving him an A especially since he was “the man” and opponents knew that. Thought he started doing a better job later in the season looking to distribute the ball when he went ISO and nothing clean was there. Also would have liked to see a little more rebounding. But that could have been scheme since Frank seemed to go more to the defensive boards and we didn’t want both guards getting caught inside.

Tough to not give high grades to guys who were asked, and did, play 40 a night (not being snarky, I mean it).

As many others posted, excellent analysis of this years players. I also find it a bit low on Frank, agreeing that a B+ would be more reasonable for him. All said this, was a very tough team to grade with such a depleted roster, injuries and extended playing time for nearly all. On one hand I give JB a lot of credit for taking this team to the Sweet Sixteen but as he said best.....he did not have many/any buttons to push.

Next year should be fun but this team will always be remembered for its grit and never giving up.
LETS GO ORANGE.

Tough to not give high grades to guys who were asked, and did, play 40 a night (not being snarky, I mean it).

No doubt it’s a valid opinion. I came close to giving Battle an A for that very reason plus being the guy other teams really focused on. Won’t get an argument from me.

I actually had it as a B and felt I was perhaps it was a bit generous. I can see the argument on both sides. I actually thought people would be posting that I was an idiot for having him in the B range.

Nice analysis. I, too, thought your assessment of Frank over-weighted some areas he needs to improve over his body of work for the entire season. Without him playing to the level he did, we're toast, right next to Pitt at the bottom of the league. Just asking (not flaming) ...did you include what you thought people might be posting in your grades of other players or just Frank? As others have said, I'm in the camp that he was a B+ at minimum. His stats say so.

- Led the ACC in steals

Yeah, I think I was too low on Howard. I guess I just look at him and say when you take a step back you're still talking about a guy who had a pretty poor assist/TO mark (1.38:1) -- I'm less concerned with the TOs as long as it comes with a lot of playmaking and he's OK there, not incredible -- and didn't really have a breakout postseason game (I know he was battling illness in the NCAAT). 12 TOs in the ACC tourney. But I can see the other side of that coin which is that assists are hard to come by with the other guys on this roster and points are hard to pile up if you're draining :30 from the clock every time down. Thought he had a really good year, so I could see giving him a B. B+ seems a little high to me.

Battle to me -- I just was really impressed with how hard that kid worked all year as by far and away the best player on the team. That sets a tone. Not only that but he's an all-academic guy -- just seems like such a positive player for this program and when your best player is hustling his tail off when you're down 20 with under a minute to play, that's a big part of any success a team has. I was thinking of A+ as the best grade so I could see giving him the A-, but I just think he willed this team to a bunch of Ws this year.

The thing with Brissett is that he basically goes for 15 and 9 (technically 14.9 and 8.8). In the past 25 years of syracuse basketball, this has happened basically eight times -- one belongs to Melo, six (three each) belong to Wallace and Warrick and the other belongs to Christmas in his phenomenal senior season. That's really impressive company. Add to that a huge contribution vs. MSU, a huge game against Clemson, and the fact that he basically put us on his back against AZ State. There are some holes in his game, but man, that's a huge year for a frosh.

I think this is all fair and pretty unbiased. No issue with Frank getting any sort of B grade + or -. I also feel Chukwu is deserving of that grade as well. When you think about how many minutes he played it is unbelievable really. Boeheim rides the starting guards into the ground even back with Ennis/Cooney so Frank, even IF we had the depth, would be playing heavy minutes. But, if you had told me in November that Chukwu would be playing 34 minutes against ASU and 32 minutes against TCU in NCAA Tourney games I would’ve said, “Huh?!!” Plus he is doing WAY more than he should be. Constantly running back and forth screening for Frank either by design or being summoned to bail him out. Unbelievable how much running around he did. He’s very frustrating sometimes and needs to get stronger but I commend this kid big time. The FT line transformation, too!!

Frank I think has a chance to perhaps have an Ed Cota or Kendall Marshall type season next fall. High assists with more talented players around him. Not needing to score as much. No doubt he WAY exceeded expectations and you just have to live with the good and the bad. He’s got limitations with his feet, speed, and obviously the handle, but he has really good vision and is a decent enough shooter. I think if he distributes more next year without pounding the rock and over-dribbling so much and just get out of the way then we could be very formidable next year.

Last edited:
Call me confused. Lol.
Eh, it's a joke post based on the lovable twitter account We Rate Dogs, where all dogs are 10/10 and most are rated 11 to 13/10.

I'm a tougher grader, I guess. I wouldn't expect a team full of A's to be a less than .500 conference team and squeak into the NCAAs as the very last team (where they did very very well).

Eh, it's a joke post based on the lovable twitter account We Rate Dogs, where all dogs are 10/10 and most are rated 11 to 13/10.

I'm a tougher grader, I guess. I wouldn't expect a team full of A's to be a less than .500 conference team and squeak into the NCAAs as the very last team (where they did very very well).

I can see people grading them much harsher than I did. I’m not in love with being a bubble team but my opinion is that the ceiling was that of a bubble team and basically .500 in conference. That was with Geno and a healthy sidibe/Chuckwu combo.

To basically hit that mark and then get three wins in the NCAAT to me is exceeding expectations which is why the grades are pretty good. Obviously pretty subjective tho.

The thing with Brissett is that he basically goes for 15 and 9 (technically 14.9 and 8.8). In the past 25 years of syracuse basketball, this has happened basically eight times -- one belongs to Melo, six (three each) belong to Wallace and Warrick and the other belongs to Christmas in his phenomenal senior season. That's really impressive company. Add to that a huge contribution vs. MSU, a huge game against Clemson, and the fact that he basically put us on his back against AZ State. There are some holes in his game, but man, that's a huge year for a frosh.

I saw another graphic that Brissett joined elite company with his double-double in the tournament - the only Syracuse freshmen to do that before were Coleman, Owens, and Anthony.

So it's funny that he accomplished this historic numbers while also racking up a singular historic honor at the other end of the spectrum: he shattered Todd Burgan's record-low field goal percentage of .393 for a Boeheim forward.

Not everybody improves as a finisher, but Brissett looks to have the tools. He already accomplished a lot without being a threat at the rim. It's exciting to think of what he's capable of when he improves that aspect of his game and gets 6-10 points of low-hanging fruit per game.

Finally added a JB section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom