You can complain about the refs all you'd like... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

You can complain about the refs all you'd like...

For about a day after a tough loss most fans are a tad irrational. It's not really anything exclusive to Syracuse or unique at all quite frankly.

Fans tend to be fanatical. It leads to them being a tad nuts at times.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, why do you have to PERPETUALLY bitch about something as obvious as that when you know it's going to happen every single time and things won't normalize for about 12-24 hours?

I wrote the reality of things right above my question if that helps.

My statement is directed to the style of play, not to the reactions of fandom. If everything is leading to playing a more physical game, why do we not adjust and play, well, a more physical game? It can't be because of some sense of honor.

Ummm yes because when you put two hands on the guy with the ball its aa foul and that not beomg called for a 5min stretch when we were up 16 decided the game. SO I will complain

After the MCW flagrant call on the elbow swing even the announcers were saying the L'ville guy with 2 hands on MCW should be called for a foul.

...and yes, they were inconsistent--but no team can turn the ball over 12 times in a half against a team like Louisville and win.

Awful job by our squad after the 16 minute mark. There's still time--need to get stops, defensive rebounds to kill their possessions, and stop turning the !@#$% ball over.

Think you for being one of the sane ones...

My statement is directed to the style of play, not to the reactions of fandom. If everything is leading to playing a more physical game, why do we not adjust and play, well, a more physical game? It can't be because of some sense of honor.
We're a finesse team which is why we'll adjust just fine to the ACC. When we bump, clutch and grab we get called for fouls because it looks out of the ordinary and our guys arent used to playing like that. When LVille does it every possession the refs let more go, its just how it is.

We're a finesse team which is why we'll adjust just fine to the ACC. When we bump, clutch and grab we get called for fouls because it looks out of the ordinary and our guys arent used to playing like that. When LVille does it every possession the refs let more go, its just how it is.

And it isn't just louisville--teams like pitt, uconn, marquette, villanova, butler, etc. all make a living on daring the refs to call fouls every possession, and winning that bet to the disadvantage of their opponent. It's turning college basketball into an abomination--I'm hopeful that the rule changes Bilas / Seth Davis suggest will happen this offseason will help clean up this garbage and help reestablish emphasis on the skill asepect of the game.

Sickening.

And it isn't just louisville--teams like pitt, uconn, marquette, villanova, butler, etc. all make a living on daring the refs to call fouls every possession, and winning that bet to the disadvantage of their opponent. It's turning college basketball into an abomination--I'm hopeful that the rule changes Bilas / Seth Davis keep clamoring for will help clean up this garbage and help reestablish emphasis on the skill asepect of the game.

Sickening.
Yup! Its how teams with less talent muck up the game and level the playing field with more talented teams. In Ville's case they have talent AND play like that. I guess thats a Championship combination is college basketball these days...

If cahill was on fire i wouldn't even bother to unzip my fly. Same goes for the other two. If i hear of bad things happening to the, I could/would care less.
Time for you to see a good therapist.

We did not execute, but the officials started making the snowball.

You've had some fair points in this thread, but this one is incorrect.

The most egregious of the bad officiating came well after momentum swung. Score be-damned. I counted at least 7 turnovers early in the second that were simply silly. I counted 3-4 more, only one of which that was borderline acceptable. None of which were bc of non-called fouls.

This mentality of "if only the refs had done x", is idiotic. And depressing. It's a fantasyland. I am surprised at the sheer volume of people jumping on that crazy train. Not saying that you have.

I would say last night was the refs 20%, combo of Louisville hawking defense combined with our subpar ball handling 50% and our guards flat-out exhaustion 30%.

The largest impact was not the refs, it was the fact that our team ball handling is about a C and L'Villes ball hawking skills are an A. On top of that we were exhausted.

I'm sorry but I don't blame the refs for any more than a small part of this. Yes they were inconsistent and they allowed a lot. We have to adapt and we couldn't unfortunately.

And it isn't just louisville--teams like pitt, uconn, marquette, villanova, butler, etc. all make a living on daring the refs to call fouls every possession, and winning that bet to the disadvantage of their opponent. It's turning college basketball into an abomination--I'm hopeful that the rule changes Bilas / Seth Davis suggest will happen this offseason will help clean up this garbage and help reestablish emphasis on the skill asepect of the game.

Sickening.
The thing that kills me is that Craft and Pitino and the like go to the press and openly discuss that they're going to push the rules, and the refs NEVEE seem to say "You know, it's not their job to decide how these rules get enforced. Maybe we should set the tone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

For about a day after a tough loss most fans are a tad irrational. It's not really anything exclusive to Syracuse or unique at all quite frankly.

Fans tend to be fanatical. It leads to them being a tad nuts at times.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, why do you have to PERPETUALLY bitch about something as obvious as that when you know it's going to happen every single time and things won't normalize for about 12-24 hours?

I wrote the reality of things right above my question if that helps.

Tad and nuts in the same sentence. C'mon Man

Twenty offensive rebounds is about lack of effort and heart. Choking on the few FTs you get is lack of spine. Playing without force is lack of courage. We played like the weaker team in the second half and got bitch slapped. Horrible officiating aside, we bought and paid for this loss...

Yeah... reffing was terrible but it can't explain the whole story on this utter, complete collapse...

The Combo of Shite was:

1. Bad reffing designed to help Ville get back in game... but went way beyond a few helpful no calls...

2. No Southerland = much less ability for us to spread the defense and lanes were closed down

3. We ran out of gas... plain and simple... the schedule caught up to us in the second half.

4. Ville smelled blood in the water... They saw we were tired and saw they were getting no-calls on defensive fouls and wratcheted it up with heel on throat.

It was an utter collapse.

We had a 16 point lead. We lost by 17. That's a 33 point swing. Was that all on officiating?

We executed like a$$. Yes, the refs didn't help, but we shot ourselves in the foot with poor play.

No question. I think they were exhausted by the time mid- 2H came. Louisville came out fresher and it will only be matter of time that if you crank up the pressure enough then MCW/Triche will eventually turn it over. It just always felt labored for them dribbling vs the press and the whole team sure struggled with it. Disappointing. I think our guys were too drained to even deal with it late 2H. Sure, some were fouls but we really struggled with it. Poor defensive rotations in the 2H may have been related to fatigue as well.

Sickening.

Not familiar with the proposed rule changes, but I'm pretty certain they won't improve things.

The problem isn't with the rules (we've got those), it's with all the officials who've abandoned their responsibilities and quit enforcing them.

It is sickening indeed.

Not familiar with the proposed rule changes, but I'm pretty certain they won't improve things.

The problem isn't with the rules (we've got those), it's with all the officials who've abandoned their responsibilities and quit enforcing them.

It is sickening indeed.

I'll disagree somewhat. We saw a similar emphasis in the NBA about 10 years ago, and it did have the desired effect of cleaning up play and putting more emphasis on scoring.

Completely agree that the outcomes will be based upon enforcement. It will be up to the NCAA to make sure that there is a cultural change amongst how refs officiate.

I'll disagree somewhat. We saw a similar emphasis in the NBA about 10 years ago, and it did have the desired effect of cleaning up play and putting more emphasis on scoring.

Completely agree that the outcomes will be based upon enforcement. It will be up to the NCAA to make sure that there is a cultural change amongst how refs officiate.

It'll definitely be up to the NCAA to get a handle on this.

I know you and I (and others) have seen the same thing in the past couple decades: the NCAA decides that some enforcing a penalty for some infraction (block/charge, palming, etc.) needs to be a "point of emphasis" for the upcoming season. For half a dozen early-season games, the rule is enforced. For the next thirty, the rule is mostly ignored.

The only "point" we've seen stick is the absurd elbowing rule; it's added to our misery.

I have a lot more faith in the NBA to regulate these things; in college, the caprice of individual officials is the root of the problem.

You have to adjust to the way the refs are calling the game. Our guys never did.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Yep. The rules are not what the rulebook say they are. They are what they refs calling the game say they are. Period. Get tough and deal with it. If you want to complain, do it after the game.

Yep. The rules are not what the rulebook say they are. They are what they refs calling the game say they are. Period. Get tough and deal with it. If you want to complain, do it after the game.

Blaming the refs is so weak. You sound like my alcoholic brother who blames every woe he has on everyone but himself.

I ref basketball, and I will say when a team is playing aggressively and confidently, calls naturally go their way because they look like they are doing what they are supposed to do. They are dictating the flow of the game. Teams that play tentatively and fearfully (typical of Boeheim teams) do things that are not in the flow of the game, and their errors stick out more. They are out of position, a step late, and more weak and awkward looking. They make it easy to call fouls and violations against them.

So you think just because a team is playing overly aggressive and putting their hands on the offensive player, or bumping the offensive player, or crowding the offensive player (like Hancock did to MCW) it's not a foul? The flagrant call on MCW was horrible, and not because he never even hit Hancock, but because he is allowed to clear if the defender is crowding him. He couldn't sweep the ball low because Hancock was standing in MCW's sneakers. He had to sweep the ball high.

Officiating of the game is so bad that it has permeated down to even the 4th and 5th grade levels. I see kids mugging each other out there and nothing is called. That is not basketball.

So you think just because a team is playing overly aggressive and putting their hands on the offensive player, or bumping the offensive player, or crowding the offensive player (like Hancock did to MCW) it's not a foul? The flagrant call on MCW was horrible, and not because he never even hit Hancock, but because he is allowed to clear if the defender is crowding him. He couldn't sweep the ball low because Hancock was standing in MCW's sneakers. He had to sweep the ball high.

Officiating of the game is so bad that it has permeated down to even the 4th and 5th grade levels. I see kids mugging each other out there and nothing is called. That is not basketball.

I didn't say Hancock didn't foul MCW. The replay did show he had two hands on him, and that is a foul, according to the rulebook. But it was brief, almost incidental, tough to see first time full speed, and tougher to call. Unfortunately for SU, when MCW swung his elbows to clear, he made contact with Hancock, and that is a flagrant foul. You say "he never even hit Hancock", but I disagree, as did Bilas and Raftery. It may be a crappy rule as is, but that is the rule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom