You guys have made it! | Syracusefan.com

You guys have made it!

I have never listened to talk radio. NEVER. Not political talk radio. Not sports talk radio. There are better ways to spend my time than to listen to loud, narcissistic people shouting their opinions ... some dangerous, some uninformed, others just crazy.

Radio (especially in the car) was meant for music ... whether it be classical, rock, folk, jazz, or whatever (take your choice). Not for a lot of people yelling at each other.

I have never listened to talk radio. NEVER. Not political talk radio. Not sports talk radio. There are better ways to spend my time than to listen to loud, narcissistic people shouting their opinions ... some dangerous, some uninformed, others just crazy.

Radio (especially in the car) was meant for music ... whether it be classical, rock, folk, jazz, or whatever (take your choice). Not for a lot of people yelling at each other.
I will take it a step further...I haven’t listened to RADIO in over 5 years. Give me Amazon music all day!

I used to enjoy sports radio when I was more passionate younger.

However it’s become toxic negativity because that is what attracts calls. All they care about is attracting the 1% on each side of any debate and getting them riled up to call so the hosts have less time to fill.

Now I think SWC and 20plus are probably the top callers who are informed and have opinions.

I just have been warped by the media in hometown market destroying sports talk radio I can’t listen to it.

I wish I could listen to a Mike and Mad Dog type of show. Where the hosts are fun, have good banter and engaged in good discussion and had good calls.

Nowadays it’s just H0T Takes that are miserable and even if you win it’s not enjoyable.

Good for these 2 getting a little press and it was a filler article that was done well.

I am entertained by the inner dialogue in my own mind. Sure, there is some yelling, but by the end of the drive, we are usually on good terms and have a better understanding of each other’s point of view.

Cto, you are great. But your description of talk radio sounds very familiar to something else you frequently engage with...

Cto, you are great. But your description of talk radio sounds very familiar to something else you frequently engage with...
If you are talking about my political posts on Facebook, people who disagree can just skip them (or unfriend me). It's pretty hard to skip people who are yelling on the radio. They are part of the fabric of the broadcast.

If you are talking about my political posts on Facebook, people who disagree can just skip them (or unfriend me). It's pretty hard to skip people who are yelling on the radio. They are part of the fabric of the broadcast.
Personally, I enjoy interviews. When it is all opinion...point counterpoint for the sake of filling time, that’s when I tune out. Provide me with information and I will form my own opinion.

When I met Bill Walton(quite a guy) at a restaurant in San Diego in September 2019 he talked about sports radio.
It sticks with me today.
He said he it made him sad to listen too. That the amount of effort he put into his game and health problems he had he couldn’t play today because of sports radio talking about that stuff. When he played they didn’t have it.

When I met Bill Walton(quite a guy) at a restaurant in San Diego in September 2019 he talked about sports radio.
It sticks with me today.
He said he it made him sad to listen too. That the amount of effort he put into his game and health problems he had he couldn’t play today because of sports radio talking about that stuff. When he played they didn’t have it.
Meeting Bill Walton at a restaurant is some great bucket list material. I know he gets a lot of flack on this board, but I love hearing him drone on about unusual topics during a PAC-12 game once in awhile.

Meeting Bill Walton at a restaurant is some great bucket list material. I know he gets a lot of flack on this board, but I love hearing him drone on about unusual topics during a PAC-12 game once in awhile.
Mexican restaurant named Fidel’s.
My uncle for some reason took me there.

Bill was there with a couple and his wife.

The guy was so nice. I dropped to him I was a huge Celtics and Larry Bird fan and won him over with that.

So if you are ever in San Diego try Fidel’s.

Wholeheartedly agree. There was a really good talk radio show in SF in the late 90s, The Razor and Mr. T, with longtime Bay Area sports radio host Ralph Barbieri and ex Warrior player Tom Tolbert. Didn't have any of today's idiocy.

As a 12yo in Philly in 1965 I was able to pickup WNBC 660 and listen to the late, great Bill Mazer at 5pm weekdays. His show, which you may remember Joyce, had none of those things you described. Sports talk radio has generally, not all of it but most, gone downhill ever since.