You guys have made it! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

You guys have made it!

When I met Bill Walton(quite a guy) at a restaurant in San Diego in September 2019 he talked about sports radio.
It sticks with me today.
He said he it made him sad to listen too. That the amount of effort he put into his game and health problems he had he couldn’t play today because of sports radio talking about that stuff. When he played they didn’t have it.
Listening to Walton makes me sad. I don't enjoy him one bit. Maybe because he wouldn't talk to the media and now he is part of it. maybe because of his ranting about Howland which cost Howland his job. Not that I care about Howland but I do care about unfairness. Also, the Celts paid for Walton for a year when he couldn't play at all and then he left when he became a free agent and could play. I have no use for him.

Listening to Walton makes me sad. I don't enjoy him one bit. Maybe because he wouldn't talk to the media and now he is part of it. maybe because of his ranting about Howland which cost Howland his job. Not that I care about Howland but I do care about unfairness. Also, the Celts paid for Walton for a year when he couldn't play at all and then he left when he became a free agent and could play. I have no use for him.
He would melt you if you met him one on one. The guy was just like the nicest person I’ve ever met.
I only got like 15 minutes and it felt like he could go on forever. His Bird stories I’m sure he could tell you and they would entertain. The guy loves Larry bird like he loves his family you would think he needs a restraining order.

We talked NBA he was rattling about the Celtics going thru Bill Sherman, KC Jones, Bill Russell, Tommy etc. it was amazing.

His commentary now is either love or hate. He doesn’t care about the game he cares about entertaining himself. When he did NBA games he was more serious and good. Now he’s just a clown.

He would melt you if you met him one on one. The guy was just like the nicest person I’ve ever met.
I only got like 15 minutes and it felt like he could go on forever. His Bird stories I’m sure he could tell you and they would entertain. The guy loves Larry bird like he loves his family you would think he needs a restraining order.

His commentary now is either love or hate. He doesn’t care about the game he cares about entertaining himself. When he did NBA games he was more serious and good. Now he’s just a clown.
Loving Larry does nothing for me. Larry has a daughter that he refuses to even meet. He has given her financial support but nothing more. I have no use for Larry. Or for Walton. Alsacs, as we both know from life, there are a lot of people that can charm the pants off of you in person and still be lacking as a person.

If you are talking about my political posts on Facebook, people who disagree can just skip them (or unfriend me). It's pretty hard to skip people who are yelling on the radio. They are part of the fabric of the broadcast.

no i was referring to some of the communications on this board...

I met Bill Walton at the SU Charity Sports Auction a few years ago.

We talked about Mark Harmon.
Or as Bill says “the greatest QB and human in the history of modern civilization”

As a 12yo in Philly in 1965 I was able to pickup WNBC 660 and listen to the late, great Bill Mazer at 5pm weekdays. His show, which you may remember Joyce, had none of those things you described. Sports talk radio has generally, not all of it but most, gone downhill ever since.

Bill Mazer was great on the old ten PM news (do you know where your children are?)

I have never listened to talk radio. NEVER. Not political talk radio. Not sports talk radio. There are better ways to spend my time than to listen to loud, narcissistic people shouting their opinions ... some dangerous, some uninformed, others just crazy.

Radio (especially in the car) was meant for music ... whether it be classical, rock, folk, jazz, or whatever (take your choice). Not for a lot of people yelling at each other.
I will say... traveling in the car with kids... There's nothing that puts them to sleep like turning on the news!!

I use it so strategically!

The last time i listened to radio of any kind was back when we had to try to pull in untelevised Syracuse games from WAER(?) when i was living in NYC. That seems like forever ago. I have two very vivid memories of listening to the NCAA Navy loss while on a Greyhound bus, i think on the way back to Syracuse, and the undefeated football season's last game against West Virginia, and just screaming over the play-by-play of the Owens scoring sweep at the end of the game.

Never listened to sports radio, though. Or any other talk radio. I kinda always thought of both as being the bastions of obsessives and crackpots... [No offense.] Ironically, though, i do spend far too much time here, and objectively, there isn't that much of a difference, if any.

I will say... traveling in the car with kids... There's nothing that puts them to sleep like turning on the news!!

I use it so strategically!

I have some music you can borrow...

I have never listened to talk radio. NEVER. Not political talk radio. Not sports talk radio. There are better ways to spend my time than to listen to loud, narcissistic people shouting their opinions ... some dangerous, some uninformed, others just crazy.

Radio (especially in the car) was meant for music ... whether it be classical, rock, folk, jazz, or whatever (take your choice). Not for a lot of people yelling at each other.
I would like to add that radio was meant for baseball broadcasts. I actually subscribe to MLB radio so I can listen to Cleveland games while I clean the kitchen after dinner. Tom Hamilton calls a great game.

I would like to add that radio was meant for baseball broadcasts. I actually subscribe to MLB radio so I can listen to Cleveland games while I clean the kitchen after dinner. Tom Hamilton calls a great game.
Love listening to the Red Sox games on the radio while I’m doing dishes

If you are talking about my political posts on Facebook, people who disagree can just skip them (or unfriend me). It's pretty hard to skip people who are yelling on the radio. They are part of the fabric of the broadcast.
Unless the channel changes

So you spend your time here instead?? Okay, makes sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom