You think we have attendance problems | Syracusefan.com

You think we have attendance problems

Not sure of their normal attendance but I do wonder if all the cleanup down there from Irma has something to do with it.

Watching USF - Temple. USF ranked 21 in the country. Thought I was watching a Temple home game for a minute. There can't be more than 5000 fans there. In Florida, for a #21 ranked team?

I went there once to see a Cuse-USF game and USF was good, there were as many or more Cuse fans than USF. I forgot the year, but it had to be 15 years ago or so...man we got THROTTLED.

I thought this was going to be about S.D. Chargers and the deal that they couldn't sell out a 30,000 seat soccer stadium last weekend.

They were saying that 99 of the players on the USF roster were from Florida (45 from the Tampa Bay metro alone). Nice for the families of the players, who probably account for about a third of the "crowd" at Raymond James.

I attended the last 2 games SU played against USF down there. They definitely have attendance issues and it looks like it hasn't changed. They had the USF students, who made up most of their scant crowd, seated in the east end zone. So on tv you only saw them for half a game and then only when a team was in scoring position. Always had a good time there though.

Watching USF - Temple. USF ranked 21 in the country. Thought I was watching a Temple home game for a minute. There can't be more than 5000 fans there. In Florida, for a #21 ranked team?
Nobody in Florida really cares much about any team but FSU or UF. I lived in Souh Florida briefly and got season tickets in the end zone for Miami for $100 (same as SU at the time). I think Miami was ranked most of the year but the only time they got a decent crowd was when they played Oklahoma in prime time.

yet S Florida is one of those schools that performs well despite a small fan base.

I live in Tampa, no one at work cared about the game and the people at the bar only cared about the NFL game...between the Rams and 49ers. Again...the Rams. And 49ers. I know, crazy.

I think everybody has at least one PE teacher that they weren't fond of.

Surprisingly entertaining football game...Rams/49ers.

I think everybody has at least one PE teacher that they weren't fond of.

Surprisingly entertaining football game...Rams/49ers.
On the last day of junior high school our PE teacher literally locked himself in his office for fear of getting his ass kicked.

Duh...I would bet more people are worried about Irma aftermath than a weeknight college game. I know a few people who are just starting to return back to town and some who only recently got power back.

Announced attendance was 24,000 tonight. It didn't look like it. I agree the hurricane is having an impact. Last year they were getting around 30,000. I think a big problem for them is they play in an NFL stadium. These G5 teams need to play in stadiums that hold no more than 40,000 in most cases. A smaller stadium would make for a better atmosphere. Even Stanford tore down their 80,000 seat stadium a few years ago and replaced it with a 45,000 seat instead with luxury boxes.

Announced attendance was 24,000 tonight. It didn't look like it. I agree the hurricane is having an impact. Last year they were getting around 30,000. I think a big problem for them is they play in an NFL stadium. These G5 teams need to play in stadiums that hold no more than 40,000 in most cases. A smaller stadium would make for a better atmosphere. Even Stanford tore down their 80,000 seat stadium a few years ago and replaced it with a 45,000 seat instead with luxury boxes.
Agree. They really need to build a smaller stadium on campus. UCF has a huge advantage over them now because they have done this.

When the P12 loses Oklahoma and Texas and drops from P5 status, I think UCF is going to be the first school they invite.

I've always found the sight of a college team playing in a pro stadium to be depressing.

For example, I know space is very limited in and around Pitt's campus and playing at Heinz makes economic sense, but that venue just absolutely sucks for them.

Everyone has attendance issues - anyone watch Georgia at ND? There was a lot of Georgia color in the stands. Friend of mine is a season ducat holder for ND and says they need the out of town fan to sell out the building. Louisville doesn't sell out Clemson last week without the Clemson diehards.

Isn't the "commuter school" idea/image an additional problem for USF and UCF? Louavul is working to overcome that image per discussions on their board.

Football attendance(college and pro) is down across the board.

Everyone has attendance issues - anyone watch Georgia at ND? There was a lot of Georgia color in the stands. Friend of mine is a season ducat holder for ND and says they need the out of town fan to sell out the building. Louisville doesn't sell out Clemson last week without the Clemson diehards.

Ducat? Bud, is that you? ;)

Football attendance(college and pro) is down across the board.

yep, games are all over on TV and streaming, coverage is amazing, trips to stadiums, especially when they are far off campus like at USF, are expensive and a giant pain in the butt. We have the problem of a lot of losing football and a smaller student population than a lot of P5 schools so we can't come close to filling up the Dome.

Isn't the "commuter school" idea/image an additional problem for USF and UCF? Louavul is working to overcome that image per discussions on their board.

Yep, exactly. Being a commuter school definitely hurts attendance, although USF is making efforts to brand the school differently. Joining the Big East was a step in the right direction, until it became the AAC. That hurt. Also, having the stadium off campus like it is doesn't help either.

Friend of mine is a season ducat holder for ND and says they need the out of town fan to sell out the building.

Notre Dame has sold out 255 consecutive home games dating back to 1974. That includes plenty of games against teams like their opener against Temple this year who would only have a small contingent of fans there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom