Your Hottest Take? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Your Hottest Take?

Maybe in today’s game? I don’t know.

Yeah it's crazy to say in todays game like it's way different than when Nichols was around, but it is.

I did kinda knock him, but is it crazy he only got 58 minutes in the NBA? Maybe he deserved a little more. I didn't realize he is still playing in Europe, in his career averaging 15/5 per 36, 45/38/82 shooting.

Darryl Watkins was going to be the best 7 footer Syracuse ever had. Kid never developed.

People said Hopkins couldn’t coach bigs, but I was so angry Fine couldn’t turn Watkins into a force. He was a top 30 five star player out of high school.

That entire class underwhelmed.

Darryl Watkins was going to be the best 7 footer Syracuse ever had. Kid never developed.

People said Hopkins couldn’t coach bigs, but I was so angry Fine couldn’t turn Watkins into a force. He was a top 30 five star player out of high school.

Not sure if even if Pete Newell being on the staff could’ve turned Watkins into a force. He had his moments but he seemed like he didn’t have much drive or passion for the game. But, I hear ya. He was a good athlete and sure looked the part.

I'm still of the opinion that had he gotten a medical redshirt the year he hurt his thumb, he would have been an absolute monster with one more year in the zone. A Rak like transformation.

Yeah it's crazy to say in todays game like it's way different than when Nichols was around, but it is.

I did kinda knock him, but is it crazy he only got 58 minutes in the NBA? Maybe he deserved a little more. I didn't realize he is still playing in Europe, in his career averaging 15/5 per 36, 45/38/82 shooting.

The athleticism and skill in the NBA is just crazy. Guys who we thought were ‘great’ athletes here like Malachi/McCullough are just marginal at best in the league. If you can’t figure out your niche quickly or have injuries then you will be exiled ASAP. MCW is on thin ice right now.

Future of the NBA is bright. Lots of young players contributing. Love Donovan Mitchell. Guys like Nance Jr., Kuzma, Jokic are good players and good athletes. Of course dudes like Tatum, Embiid, and Porzingis are tearing it up.

Last edited:
I'm still of the opinion that had he gotten a medical redshirt the year he hurt his thumb, he would have been an absolute monster with one more year in the zone. A Rak like transformation.

I just wish he hadn't hurt his thumb - I'm still convinced that 2005 was salvageable (while 2008 was going to be a poop sandwich with or without veteran help). There's probably a scenario where Mookie stays healthy against Hofstra, continues to develop and eat away at Forth's minutes, and maybe we eke out a win in one of the Pitt or UConn games and never see Vermont in Worcester (which was a criminal instance of over/underseeding for a 27-6 Big East champ anyway, but that's a different tale).

Terrence Roberts, Daryl Watkins, and Demetris Nichols would carry us to a Natty before all going pro.

I still stand by the fact that those 3 have NBA made bodies like we havent seen since.

I went on a rant about how Mookie Jones should take Rautins minutes early on in the 2008-09 season.

Oh man... there are so many of out there that should be contributing to these posts about Rautins Frosh and Soph year for sure.

Terrence Roberts, Daryl Watkins, and Demetris Nichols would carry us to a Natty before all going pro.

I still stand by the fact that those 3 have NBA made bodies like we havent seen since.

Yeah the first two especially. Those two quickly upon arrival had NBA bodies.

This was before the internet probably and I was in high school at the time but I thought Michael Lloyd was going to come in and with Moten and Wallace we would have more fire power than when we had the Douglas, Owens and DC. I was wrong about that.

I never thought James Thues was as bad as it seems like everyone else does - at least as a passer. He wasn't a good shooter, that's hard to deny.

I was a theus guy too, at least in a sense i thought he was ok. Good defender if i recall.

Frank Howard sucked, he was a lost cause etc.

I thought it was silly that we brought in a random turd like Jonny Flynn to get Paul Harris to come here.

Boeheim should've been sent packing after we lost to Georgetown in the 2000 BET.

Not necessarily me, but every single Craig Forth take from 2001 to 2005.

I also did not think James Thues was terrible. He just had the "good" fortune of bookending AG and Gerry McNamara.

Yea I think it is probably right that he wasn't quite the athlete he needed to be. His handle was weak too, though I think t was better than Wes's.

Still, he shot 42 percent from three on a huge volume while the primary and often only option, is a legit 6'7 or so, and is at least a passable athlete. That seems like an nba player to me. And probably is if he graduated in 2016.

I have to admit I thought Roberts was going to be a Derrick Coleman clone.

Two for me:

GMac was a superior player to JJ Reddick and do better in the NBA.

Dave Johnson would be a perennial all star.

Related, after seeing Cuse destroy James Harden I wondered what all the fuss was about. (I guess this makes three)

I'm still gobsmacked that James Harden is a superstar after watching that game, where he did nothing.

Baye flying out to the corner to contest a three was terrible defense and there is simply no way JB wanted him to do that.

Except he did.

So I guess he wants Chukwu to do that, too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom