Your Song of the Day | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Your Song of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to explain what you mean in both of those sentences?

It came out in the bicentennial year of 1976. It features, among others, a phony 'holy man', a down-on-his-luck LSD pusher, a sniper who crosses his bookkeeper dad, a thief, and others. Including a bickering married couple breaking apart due to adultery, who know only one way to keep their loud arguments to themselves ("Turn up the Eagles, the neigbors are listening"). And the title cut is viewed by me, but not just me, on what the US had become: "See the glory...of the Royal Scam".

I don't agree with all the analysis in this article (for example, 'The Fez' explicity says "I wanna be your Holy man"), but it's worth reading:

Crime is the unusual concept behind Steely Dan's The Royal Scam - Song of Fire

It came out in the bicentennial year of 1976. It features, among others, a phony 'holy man', a down-on-his-luck LSD pusher, a sniper who crosses his bookkeeper dad, a thief, and others. Including a bickering married couple breaking apart due to adultery, who know only one way to keep their loud arguments to themselves ("Turn up the Eagles, the neigbors are listening"). And the title cut is viewed by me, but not just me, on what the US had become: "See the glory...of the Royal Scam".

I don't agree with all the analysis in this article (for example, 'The Fez' explicity says "I wanna be your Holy man"), but it's worth reading:

Crime is the unusual concept behind Steely Dan's The Royal Scam - Song of Fire
Thx. I knew they wrote many songs with strange subjects eg. Owsley Stanley, I thought you were referring to the musicians being grifters.
In general, I think people put too much stock into the meaning of songs. IMO - many big songs are thoughtful and insightful, and many are just words. Typically the later are created by producers, and not songwriters.

Alex: This is one of the best ‘hair metal’ racing songs of all time.
Sean Connery: What is Kickstart my Heart, Alex?
Alex: Yes, Sean Connery. You are now up to negative $12,500. And, please - leave my mother out of it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom