Zag Postgame Thoughts... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Zag Postgame Thoughts...

Not only do we lack talent we look like we don't have any type of plan, discipline, or organization. We are also a very selfish team. These are things I thought AA would bring to the table. Talent is fine give him time to bring talent but all the other stuff is terrible.

It looks like AA has no control over the team and they don't play the way AA played. So it is very concerning that as a new coach he hasn't taken control and put his footprint on the team.
You thought a “players coach” would bring more discipline into the program than a 47 year hall of famer?

Rebounding doesn't get better in a zone, unless the center stays at home and eats them all. Even worst than that is the kickout 3 off a rebound.

I haven’t really watched much these past few days. What I know is our football team and our men’s basketball team are both train wrecks. The difference for football is we got rid of Babers. I don’t know what to think of Autry. I think he’s a good person and I like him. We aren’t even an NiT team at this point

We have not been the same Syracuse basketball program since the sanctions. We have a lot of talent, but lack experience from our players and coaches compared to Gonzaga and Tennessee. These are teams that may improve a little or regress a little as the season goes on. I would say Syracuse is leaving Hawaii learning the most about itself than any other team in the field for better or worse. I was much more discouraged in the recent seasons when JB coached teams struggled in these early tournaments since there should be no learning curve for a program led by a HOF for the last 40 years.
Shut down the thread! Someone brought up sanctions! This is our Godwins law!

We have not been the same Syracuse basketball program since the sanctions. We have a lot of talent, but lack experience from our players and coaches compared to Gonzaga and Tennessee. These are teams that may improve a little or regress a little as the season goes on. I would say Syracuse is leaving Hawaii learning the most about itself than any other team in the field for better or worse. I was much more discouraged in the recent seasons when JB coached teams struggled in these early tournaments since there should be no learning curve for a program led by a HOF for the last 40 years.
I disagree about talent. This is not ACC level talent.

The dorm is in the top 4 for fan count. Syracuse should be in top 16 on performance ranking every year. Otherwise, there must be something wrong.

A few thoughts
-Loss is not on Red but he can't leave Bell out there to go 2-18 with 2 rebounds, 0 assists and poor defense in 35 minutes. Throw in an embarrassing technical foul. Plus Bell leads the team in fake dives to the floor. His next loose ball recovered will be his first.
-The lack of movement is glaring and needs to change. Embarrassing to have the same problem as yesterday not getting the ball in bounds.
-He's so talented but Judah is so immature. Other than the one pass to Naheem he did not get anyone any easy looks. He had five turnovers, most of the inexcusable variety. That almost missed breakaway when he was showboating. Taking poor risks on defense. He's our best player but he needs to grow up.
-JJ can only go to his right and otherwise can't score. This will be scouted and defended and he will need to pass more.
-Taylor needs to recognize when it is time to pump fake and go to the basket and when he is open to shoot. He had another airball on a tough contested shot but I'm surprised Red sat him for so long because he is our best inbound and has helped on the boards before today. He needs to see the ball go in tomorrow and it was too bad the refs missed when he got crushed going to the basket.
-Brown plays hard but his lack of explosive jumping ability limits his effectiveness as a rebounder. We really are going to struggle to rebound and need an all hands on deck approach including Startling, especially if Benny doesn't play, not that he is a good rebounder anyway.
-I think Naheem battled and will be useful. But he will only get boards that go right to him. But he needs to do more on the defensive boards.
-I want to like him but I'm not sure what Quadir brings. I'd rather see Cuffe out there.
-Shot selection still was not good enough and that is on Red. We are not a good shooting team as it is and taking bad shots will only make it worse. Also in both games there have been numerous defensive breakdowns which seemed rooted in poor communication.
-Despite all the above I'm more optimistic than most. I see athleticism and talent in areas i haven't the last couple of years. This young team will keep playing hard and will improve, as will the head coach.
I'm in agreement with most of this except the part about playing hard. I don't think this team plays nearly hard enough, especially factoring in the talent deficit.

I haven’t really watched much these past few days. What I know is our football team and our men’s basketball team are both train wrecks. The difference for football is we got rid of Babers. I don’t know what to think of Autry. I think he’s a good person and I like him. We aren’t even an NiT team at this point
Red has to be given time as the head coach though. He inherited a team that was recruited to play zone and several players with questionable effort. Yes, he helped recruit these current players, but not with his system in mind.

Decision making, shot selection, defensive intensity and rebounding. These have been the same issues for multiple seasons in a row.

Moore and Freeman coming in, hopefully they are guys with motors and get after it a bit harder. Defensive effort is something you shouldn’t have to teach but in todays game, you have to demand it as a HC. He’s feeling his way with players that aren’t built for his system. They are young, certainly more athletic, but they can’t hit an outside shot or rebound as a team with some players not giving max effort (hey Chris Bell) who can’t play D. That’s a tough task for the best coach who ever lived, let alone a first year HC taking over for a HOF’er.

Good person is irrelevant. It’s like we always start off with that disclaimer.

Give me a very bad man if that’s what it takes.

Red has to be given time as the head coach though. He inherited a team that was recruited to play zone and several players with questionable effort. Yes, he helped recruit these current players, but not with his system in mind.

Decision making, shot selection, defensive intensity and rebounding. These have been the same issues for multiple seasons in a row.

Moore and Freeman coming in, hopefully they are guys with motors and get after it a bit harder. Defensive effort is something you shouldn’t have to teach but in todays game, you have to demand it as a HC. He’s feeling his way with players that aren’t built for his system. They are young, certainly more athletic, but they can’t hit an outside shot or rebound as a team with some players not giving max effort (hey Chris Bell) who can’t play D. That’s a tough task for the best coach who ever lived, let alone a first year HC taking over for a HOF’er.

I think he should bring in some portal players and maybe send some out.

Judah and JJ are the only guys who can play one on one ball 80% of the time. I think if we had a 3rd guy we could be a totally different team at this point. Can't ever remember a Syracuse team built that way with only the guards. Maybe Devo and Flynn? Bell can get hot for 20 but he's not ready for 3.5 for 9 and 6-14 on average to later in the season maybe.

Obviously, we want them to drive. Maybe our four-headed center and the forwards should just run circles around them towmorrow and screen for each other.

Bell has a better percentage but I like him as plan B. He was 21-44 the last 3 games until today.

Last edited:
JJ Starling is not it. Like seriously guys. I live in his hometown, but we are getting discount Symir Torrence.
Starling is better than Symir. Come on, give me a break. But JJ needs to get his shot fixed. He was a very good shooter in high school. What happened? Was it the shoulder injury?

SIX TOTAL TEAM ASSISTS.
To put this in perspective. Wayne Gretzky HIMSELF had 6 or more assists 4 times in a single game
here's the thing. in hockey an assist is credited the same as a point. judah and jj don't care about assists cuz they ain't points. get mine attitudes.

Yep. Minus the M2M, this team looks no different than JB's teams in his last decade (i.e., lesser talent & poorly coached).
I don’t know why we would expect anything different? These are the guys that ran practices for JB. I’ve never seen someone hired from within for a program that is a shell of its former self. I can’t comprehend how Wildhack thought a large part of the staff that saw the decline of the program say jeez things are going so well why don’t we keep this ship going in the same direction? If there was ever a program that needed an injection of new blood and energy it was ours and we totally failed.

Starling is better than Symir. Come on, give me a break. But JJ needs to get his shot fixed. He was a very good shooter in high school. What happened? Was it the shoulder injury?
The two players we need elsewhere

cant have assists when its not catch and shoot. Thats not this team strength. And together they are averaging 8.8 assists as our leading scorers the rest of the team only 4.6.

I was hoping post Boehiem we’d have an inbounds play. I guess not.

I guess Red is an extension of some things I didn’t like with JB. Who knew.

Wow. They kicked our butts. Not even close for the last 15 minutes, or whatever, following the Zags 13-0 run.
....funnier than hell. We even made Gonzaga a good 3 point team! LOL

What is the opposite of being on fire? Whatever it is...Bell was it today. He shot 2-18. There is no game in which bell should get 18 shots.
Guys were scared to shoot. Most of those were ok possessions. Bad stat line but the other options are limited.

Cope and Taylor knew their shots weren’t going in before they were released. Those guys killed us last 2 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom