Zaire/Ishmael/Bennett/Erv Updates?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zaire/Ishmael/Bennett/Erv Updates??

Huge life lesson and he will apply that degree better than most. Most college grads have to learn leadership, teamwork, and rebounding after a setback for the first time on the job. PB already has that on board.

Exactly

I posted this elsewhere, but this may be a more appropriate place for it.

Giants training camp observations: Who made 1-handed catches? Who didn't practice?

1st "Who's that guy?' moment

A common trap to fall in during training camp and the NFL preseason is to find a little-known player who starts making plays on the third-team offense or defense and assume he is going to make the team.
So let's fall into the trap.
Wide receiver Amba Etta-Tawo, a second-year player out of Maryland, made two downfield catches during 1-on-1s. He put a nice double move on a cornerback and got way out in front for an easy catch.
Etta-Tawo was part of the three days of practice for rookies, quarterbacks and select veterans. It looked that way, even when he beat starting cornerback Eli Apple off the line, though Apple recovered for the pass break-up.

Our boy Amba Etta-Tawo picked up another nice compliment yesterday in the Giants Training Camp Report. He's making his presence known, that's all you can hope for right now.

If he keeps it up, I'd imagine he'll be at least a practice squad guy. Struggle to see him on the active roster right now.

Paris Bennett gave his body to Syracuse and it took its toll.
Thank you for playing for us PB.
Circumstances like this are why I wish college kids could get paid. Hopefully he finds a good job or SU will hire him to pay back for what he gave us.
The sport is brutal on the body. We don’t appreciate the beatings they put on their bodies.

You do know he got a full scholarship for four years, right? Plus gear, meals that are in excess of meal plan, travel, access to athletic trainer and medical coverage, strength coaches, exposure of personal brand, etc.

Total package is quite good.

You want 8 games? No contact in spring fb? The practice and game schedule vs the health risks are 2 different issues and arguments. Dont think CFB encourages safety and academics? Go compare it to college hoops. Leave after a year or 2, play in Hawaii on a Tuesday night, start a tourney at msg being kansas on a wed in the middle of December. Give me a break. CFB has battled and stayed away from an expanded schedule for years and makes kids stay a minimum of 3 years to protect them physically as they develop , this in turn gets them closer to a degree and a huge % stay and graduate. It isn't even close.
College FB doesn't make kids stay 3 years, the NFL does. Why? It helps them control their own inventory. (Maurice Clarett, Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, to name 3, could all have played in the NFL at 19 or 20 years old.)

I wasn't juxtaposing the FB schedule with basketball. College basketball wasn't part of the discussion, and has a different impact physically. (Why no one understands context anymore is bewildering.)
The OP was praising CFB for protecting players. My point was that if CFB existed for the players, instead of for revenue generation, promotional advertising and alumni gratification, and was primarily concerned with player safety, 8 games over 16 weeks, and a semester with no contact, would be the way to go.

Last edited:
You do know he got a full scholarship for four years, right? Plus gear, meals that are in excess of meal plan, travel, access to athletic trainer and medical coverage, strength coaches, exposure of personal brand, etc.

Travel? Really. Fly in, hotel, walk through, hotel, game, shower, fly out.
Some world expanding exposure right there.

You know that a lot of that scholarship is taxable. Do Athletes Pay Taxes on Scholarships?
He has access to the trainer so he can stay on the field. Also, all students must have insurance, and under that ACA, they would all be covered under their parents' insurance. I am sure the team just has a group major medical policy.

You know that a lot of that scholarship is taxable. Do Athletes Pay Taxes on Scholarships?
He has access to the trainer so he can stay on the field. Also, all students must have insurance, and under that ACA, they would all be covered under their parents' insurance. I am sure the team just has a group major medical policy.

That all may be well and true, but I still believe the package is quite good. They're receiving a full scholarship with plenty of perks on top of the free education they receive. I am sure the relatively small tax bill is worth not having to pay thousands of $'s in student loans that the majority of us are doing. Not to mention the connections you gain by being a Syracuse football alum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom