Zero confidence in this program | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zero confidence in this program

I think you are way underselling Maliq Brown. He's already on par with Terrence Roberts, in my book. More fundamentally sound, too. Does not seem to be scared of the moment, like Tyler Roberson (or maybe Tyler was just worn down by the criticism, since his very best game was the 20 rebounds at Duke ...).
Brown is a good role player off the bench. Smart and heady. But in todays game he’s too limited offensively to putbacks.

The program and AD took something that was the pride of the city and made it a laughable after thought. I’ll keep going to the games but I’d be lying if I said I cared 10% as much as I used to.

Thank God for football. It does give me some faith in Wildhack.

The program is in the twilight zone. Consistent decline with wins and losses and relevance, paired with the Benny debacle that and then paired with recent recruiting momentum because of NIL paired with whatever is next around the HC situation.

Yeah, I was offered 11th row seats in the bleachers and turned them down tonight.

Yeah, I got a couple frowny faces on this comment, but I can't get parking in the garage with the elevator up the hill because the tickets aren't in my name. The bus still leaves me with too much hill to climb after suffering pneumonia, a partially collapsed lung and COVID in these last few years. I just don't have the stamina. I'm sure not going through all of that for a team that is not much better than a .500 team, with a grouchy old coach who won't ever leave.

P.S. - I had 4th row seats for football this season, and had the best time I've had since I was a kid at the games. (Well, except for Notre Dame. The place was dead for that game after the game-opening pick 6).

But even having those great seats that I shared with a fiend of mine were a real chore to get to and from the games for me. I don't consider myself "oid" by any stretch of the imagination, but I've taken a physical beating these past few years, and I'm not nearly as mobile as I'd like to be, even after losing 20 pounds this past 15 months.

Last edited:
Taylor and Brown are role players off the bench on a good team. Their ceiling is limited.

If we did clean house on the roster there isn’t one player I’d say we need to keep and build around. Maybe Judah?
Now the beloved Brown, who’s only a freshman, isn’t good enough to be a starter?!? JFC, what is wrong with everyone? Come on off the ledge. Three of our starters are freshman. Virginia’s starters are almost all seniors. Losing this many close games is unacceptable, the lack of execution and play calling down the stretch is infuriating, and JB’s offensive philosophies leave a lot to be desired. But come on, we almost knocked off the #6 team in the country. The results aren’t what we want. But we have a good foundation of young players to build around. And hopefully Jesse comes back and we portal two high level transfers. Judah is gonna be all ACC next season.

Now the beloved Brown, who’s only a freshman, isn’t good enough to be a starter?!? JFC, what is wrong with everyone? Come on off the ledge. Three of our starters are freshman. Virginia’s starters are almost all seniors. Losing this many close games is unacceptable, the lack of execution and play calling down the stretch is infuriating, and JB’s offensive philosophies leave a lot to be desired. But come on, we almost knocked off the #6 team in the country. The results aren’t what we want. But we have a good foundation of young players to build around. And hopefully Jesse comes back and we portal two high level transfers. Judah is gonna be all ACC next season.
Do you even remember when we used to be good? Brown and Taylor would not start on those teams.

Brown is a good role player off the bench. Smart and heady. But in todays game he’s too limited offensively to putbacks.

He knows how to cut to the rim and score when the center is double-teamed. He knows how to pass a bit from the high post, and he fights for offensive rebounds. He's a better player than you give him credit for.

As a sophomore, Roberts put up 7 points and 4 rebounds in 18 minutes a game.
As a sophomore, Damone Brown played 24 minutes a game and averaged 9 points and 6 rebounds.

Paul Harris as a freshman, 22 minutes, 9 points and 7 rebounds a game.

Maliq Brown's last 8 games, dating back to the first UVa game on January 7th:

He has shot 30-40 from the floor (75%!!). He's averaging almost 9 points and 6 rebounds a game in 25 minutes of action.

Not once did I think we were going to actually win that game. That’s where I’m at in my fandom.. even when they’re playing decent and in the game I expect the worst. Pretty tough time to be a fan.
I thought we might win.

The narrative would be different if we’re actually winning games with freshman starters

Brown has played at a high level for a month now.

26-9
30-8
26-7
26-6

That was my four years on the hill. That’s the standard. Compete for conference championships. Be ranked and relevant. Make deep NCAA runs.

This program lost 267 games over 31 seasons from the 1983-84 season through 2013-14. That’s 8.6 losses a year. A low of 3 losses (2011-12) and a high of 14 (2007-08). Twenty-one of those seasons had single-digit losses.

In the last eight years prior to this season, we have lost 111 games - or 13.9 a year. We are already at 10 this year. There have been no single-digit loss seasons.

I am sure I am rehashing stuff that has been debated on this board ad naseum. I don’t have the time or energy to read the hoops side consistently.

All I know is I don’t care who’s coming through the door next year. What was once a prominent program for three decades has turned into an also-ran for the last decade. And it starts with the leadership. Coach is way past his prime. He’s given everything for the city and our school. But it is way past time.

He knows how to cut to the rim and score when the center is double-teamed. He knows how to pass a bit from the high post, and he fights for offensive rebounds. He's a better player than you give him credit for.

As a sophomore, Damone Brown played 24 minutes a game and averaged 9 points and 6 rebounds.

He has shot 30-40 from the floor (75%!!). He's averaging almost 9 points and 6 rebounds a game in 25 minutes of action.
JB pointed out that his numbers are better than Hakim Warrick’s as a freshman. Is he gonna become Hakim Warrick? Probably not, as Hakim had jump out the gym athleticism. But Maliq still has a lot of development to come and there’s so much to build off of, as JB alluded to in the presser. Right now he’s mostly a low post player who works in the paint. I’m excited to see how the staff can help him develop over the next few years.

Last edited:
In our offense not being able to create your own shot is a problem. SF is a problem. Neither Bell nor Taylor can create their own shot.

I

Roberts and Damone Brown are also role/bench players on a good team. Nothing wrong with getting 10-15 minutes/game.

I thought we might win.
I happy for you that you still retain some optimism, but for me I just haven't seen any results recently that make me believe SUMBB can win tough games like this one.

I

Roberts and Damone Brown are also role/bench players on a good team. Nothing wrong with getting 10-15 minutes/game.
Brown has a PER of 24. He's legit. Taylor will be a plus 2 as well. He's shooting 41% from three even with the rough night last night and is our best defender at guard. These are exactly the type of players that end up killing us at Virginia every year. They are fine. It's every other position we need to fill.

Brown has a PER of 24. He's legit. Taylor will be a plus 2 as well. He's shooting 41% from three even with the rough night last night and is our best defender at guard. These are exactly the type of players that end up killing us at Virginia every year. They are fine. It's every other position we need to fill.
Well yes, if we surround them with elite talents they’ll be ok. They just can’t be option 1, 2, or 3.

Yeah a freshman who is a good bet for a double-double every game despite being 4th or 5th on the offensive game plan is most definitely a starter.
Not sure 1 in 20 is a good bet.

JB pointed out that his numbers are better than Hakim Warrick’s as a freshman. Is he gonna become Hakim Warwick? Probably not, as Hakim had jump out the gym athleticism. But Maliq still has a lot of development to come and there’s so much to build off of, as JB alluded to in the presser. Right now he’s mostly a low post player who works in the paint. I’m excited to see how the staff can help him develop over the next few years.
With a guy like brown I feel like we’re already seeing his ceiling.

JB pointed out that his numbers are better than Hakim Warrick’s as a freshman. Is he gonna become Hakim Warwick? Probably not, as Hakim had jump out the gym athleticism. But Maliq still has a lot of development to come and there’s so much to build off of, as JB alluded to in the presser. Right now he’s mostly a low post player who works in the paint. I’m excited to see how the staff can help him develop over the next few years.
He also has tremendously active hands. He disrupts a ton of plays on D. More than any frontcourt player I can remember in a long time. My only complaint and it is for the whole team is he doesn't box out on rebounds. Just jumps. Cost him a couple last night.

To be fair, there’s some quality bre(a)st in the ACC

View attachment 224622
people worlds GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors