Zero confidence in this program | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zero confidence in this program

Picture with me if you will, a positive high energy coach with good x and o skills, running multiple defenses - paired with Weitsman / others substantial NIL money playing in front of 25-30K in a renovated Dome. Who's with me?

Well yes, if we surround them with elite talents they’ll be ok. They just can’t be option 1, 2, or 3.
I think you're saying this because they weren't ranked high enough in HS for you.

It's the exact opposite reason people thought Benny Williams was good based upon where he was ranked in HS.

I happy for you that you still retain some optimism, but for me I just haven't seen any results recently that make me believe SUMBB can win tough games like this one.
Too bad

Roberts and Damone Brown are also role/bench players on a good team. Nothing wrong with getting 10-15 minutes/game.

Damone Brown started on a Sweet 16 team as a junior and averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds. He started for 3 seasons. He wasn't a bench player, except as a freshman and the beginning of his sophomore year, when he won the starting job in December. He later spent 4 seasons bouncing between the NBA and Developmental League, and then played 8 more years overseas.

Terrence Roberts started 75 games for Syracuse, averaging about 10 points and 8 rebounds as a starter. We averaged 25 wins a year during the 3 seasons that was a major contributor. He was also a major defensive presence for us at forward, like a poor man's Kenyon Martin, before he tore up his knees.

For the last month (roughly, since he began playing starter's minutes), Maliq Brown has played as well as Paul Harris played his freshman year.

With a guy like brown I feel like we’re already seeing his ceiling.

Yeah, you crapped on the kid 20 times now in this thread. We get it. You don't think much of his game.
You will be proven wrong. He's only a freshman.
Did you think Paul Harris sucked, too?

This conversation reminds me of the threads about Buddy Boeheim in February or so of his freshman year. After starting the season 1-22 from three, people were screaming nepotism. By February, Buddy had won us a few games by getting hot from three. By the middle of his freshman year, Buddy was already putting up better numbers than Saint Andy Rautins did as a sophomore.

Buddy proved himself to be an excellent 3 point shooter, developed a back-down game, improved his handle and will likely play 10 years of professional basketball before he's done.

JB pointed out that his numbers are better than Hakim Warrick’s as a freshman. Is he gonna become Hakim Warwick? Probably not, as Hakim had jump out the gym athleticism. But Maliq still has a lot of development to come and there’s so much to build off of, as JB alluded to in the presser. Right now he’s mostly a low post player who works in the paint. I’m excited to see how the staff can help him develop over the next few years.
I have not seen Brown put it on the floor or execute a post move, so I am not sure what his development potential is.

At a minimum, he needs to be bigger.

I do not care about jump shots, but it would be nice to see him with a post game.

He is a nice complimentary player and glue-type player. He does all the little things. Just not sure if he can generate offense when the ball is in his hands and he needs to make a move. We need that at center, a Jesse with an ability to succeed against bigger, stronger bigs.

All the other guys mentioned, except for maybe Terrence Roberts, could generate offense with the ball in their hands.

I have not seen Brown put it on the floor or execute a post move, so I am not sure what his development potential is.

At a minimum, he needs to be bigger.

I do not care about jump shots, but it would be nice to see him with a post game.

He is a nice complimentary player and glue-type player. He does all the little things. Just not sure if he can generate offense when the ball is in his hands and he needs to make a move. We need that at center, a Jesse with an ability to succeed against bigger, stronger bigs.

All the other guys mentioned, except for maybe Terrence Roberts, could generate offense with the ball in their hands.

He's got really long arms and a soft touch around the rim. He could be excellent with his back to the basket. I think it would be very hard for people to block a jump hook from Maliq.

He's got really long arms and a soft touch around the rim. He could be excellent with his back to the basket. I think it would be very hard for people to block a jump hook from Maliq.
Yep. I am excited to see if he can be that kind of player. Not sure who he reminds me of. Anthony Mason maybe? Do think he needs some muscle as well.

Post moves? Does anyone watch basketball anymore outside of this team?

The best thing about Brown is that he absolutely understands his role, and plays within himself. He maximizes his strengths without doing dumb things.

I've seen Brown take threes during shoot arounds. He can shoot a little bit, but it's definitely a work in progress. I'm 95% certain that he's been told he's not allowed to take jumpers in games.

I don't think Bell, Taylor or Brown - right now - are the answers to a top-4 NCAA seed by themselves, but they're a good start to add a legit PG and C and a skilled SF. With the right additions (and subtractions) they could be part of a top-25 team next season. Is it likely? Sadly, no. Although that could all change by April.

I've seen Brown take threes during shoot arounds. He can shoot a little bit, but it's definitely a work in progress. I'm 95% certain that he's been told he's not allowed to take jumpers in games.

I don't think Bell, Taylor or Brown - right now - are the answers to a top-4 NCAA seed by themselves, but they're a good start to add a legit PG and C and a skilled SF. With the right additions (and subtractions) they could be part of a top-25 team next season. Is it likely? Sadly, no. Although that could all change by April.
A center and versatile scoring wing like Kris Joseph or CJ Fair is a must.

I think the guy to me that Maliq reminds be of is Brandon Clarke for Gonzaga and who now is a pro. I would say Maliq isn't on such a level right now offensively but the role and their games are alike. Clarke was very effective just hanging around the basket most of the game and in the lane. His super skill was his shooting percentage and having a knack for being where he needed to at all times. Maliqs efficiency be it just layups or dunks is right there with him shooting 70 pct on the year.

Maliq like Clarke is a decent passer as well as his clear proficiency on the boards. Neither player was overly physical early on but if Maliq adds that along with the ability to make a shot a little further out- he can certainly get there. Also like Maliq- Clarke is a higher floor lower ceiling guy but that still gives you a lot to work with.

Maliq needs to live in the weight room all summer

I'm going to take a glass half full view. We have 3-4 freshmen playing important roles and minutes, and lost 2 close games against more experienced teams. I think they will learn from this. Key is if we can get them to stick around in this era.

I don't have much faith in Joe to be the seasoned veteran that guides us through these, I think the freshmen need to figure it out on their own.

I think this group has potential if they stick around. But of course, the coaching situation remains a hostage crisis so who knows.

I mean, complain all you want but let’s not pretend the Bryant game was Colgate level bad… that’s being factually incorrect

I'm going to stop you right there. Bryant is .500 in the America East Conference. If we are really at the point where we see any meaningful difference between home losses to Bryant and Colgate, that's just a new level of copium. It's like sorting dog turds by flavor.

Last edited:
I'm going to stop you right there. Bryant is .500 in the NEAC. If we are really at the point where we see any meaningful difference between home losses to Bryant and Colgate, that's just a new level of copium. It's like sorting dog turds by flavor.
Actually, they play in the America East. And they are at .500 there

Coincidentally, uvm is in first place.

I'm going to stop you right there. Bryant is .500 in the NEAC. If we are really at the point where we see any meaningful difference between home losses to Bryant and Colgate, that's just a new level of copium. It's like sorting dog turds by flavor.
Colgate was a 15 point blow out, far worse. Syracuse “competed” with Bryant, they were never in the Colgate game

Yeah, you crapped on the kid 20 times now in this thread.
I don’t get the angst. Saying that I think he’s a good role player who may have limited additional upside is not crapping. We may be disagreeing over what we need to “build a team around”.

so the "media" turn seems to have started just a little bit - what outlet will be the straw that breaks the camels back?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom