“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it” | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it”

It depends on the game plan, if the plan was to let them shoot the foul line jumper then yes, frank should've sagged back
That’s crap. It’s a zone. The guy with the ball has to get covered by someone. Joe and Buddy didn’t do it. The forwards aren’t going to abandon their zones to do it. It is the center’s responsibility to cover that area. The guards could help out, but they know that they aren’t quick enough to then get to shooters. Their job is to stare back at the ball while the guys on the other team reposition to get open three point shots. Meanwhile, the forwards have to cover for the center leaving the open corner three. Luckily all they did was dump it down to Williams who far outmatched our forwards. Anyone with half a brain knew this could get ugly fast. And with them hitting threes early, it was game over. His adjustment was throwing our athletes out there and they did a better job. But, they weren’t prepared because they don’t play enough and there was no defensive adjustment. If we had athletic guards with size and good defensive instincts, then at least we would have a puncher’s chance. But, we don’t.

So, Frank wasn’t supposed to cover the guy at the foul line that received the ball there with no resistance because the guards can’t defend at all? The guy at fault is Frank?
Everyone knows that the weak point of the 2-3 defense is the foul line area. When you get the ball to that spot on the floor, and have someone who can operate at the high post, you can slice up the 2-3.

No set of guards can keep the ball out of the post if the post man is big enough and has decent hands. Exhibit #1: the 2013 BET championship game vs Louisville. We had MCW and Triche, arguably our best tandem ever at the top of the zone. The whole second half, Siva lobbed the ball to Dieng, who either hit a 15-footer, dumped the ball to the low post on the opposite side of the lane for a layup, or swung it to the corner for a 3-pointer from Hancock.

And Dieng was good, but not nearly as good as Banchero (especially when he has Williams on the other end of his passes).

Bottom line--with the skill level of the players Duke rolled out last night, the comparatively weak defense at the top of the zone was a footnote. Especially when Duke can't miss from beyond the arc.

You know I don't think there is enough attention being paid to the fact this is a 78 year old man. Biology is not an indignation it is a reality.

Sometimes we have to separate that out and it seems that is a hard thing for folks to do, which I get having been through it with my own family.

His stubbornness has traditionally been aligned with brilliance. Now it is more aligned with more calling out of players, talking about doing different things unexpectedly but then not doing them, making overly optimistic comments in the pre season that fall flat and just many things that are symbolic of a capable but tiring mind. Hanging onto what has been his world for most of his life because what comes after is a scary thought.

It's hard to watch and a caring but strong voice needs to be there supporting and guiding him.

That’s a bush league comment even for my standards. He’s falling apart mentally.. Honestly you could knock every player for something if you really wanted to and you wouldn’t have to dig deep either. He plays favorites and some comments should be between player and coach, not even for the whole team to hear, yet alone on open mic for the world to hear. I don’t ever remember him publically dogging players until the last few years. Pathetic!
You don't remember his comment on Conrad McRae's rebounding?

JW is always very guarded and calculating in what he says publically. Always. This is why his comments about JB having built a lot of "equity" were so important. The results on the court this season are not going to be the impetus, IMO. But...JB's return to player and media bashing might burn that equity much faster than the end of the season record will.

The litmus test of the repeated throwing players under the bus will be this off-season...

If we have some high profile players go portal again and a couple high profile decommits from the incoming class, I think the pressure will be wratcheted up on wildhack considerably.

And it's certainly possible after this debacle of a season and how JB's ripped the players publicly, over and over again.

For me, even if we were undefeated this yesr that doesn’t change one’s age. Why not enjoy retirement? I mean, 78? Hell of a career!

Then again, everyone is different obviously.

You defended Scott Shafer’s behavior.
I did. And?

There is *no* connection to that and this outside of you wanting me to be wrong footed and called out on a message board.

There are *a lot* of bad takes from all of us, so out down your stone. (Also I see no actually pushback on what I actually said which is weaksuce as you know)

JW is always very guarded and calculating in what he says publically. Always. This is why his comments about JB having built a lot of "equity" were so important. The results on the court this season are not going to be the impetus, IMO. But...JB's return to player and media bashing might burn that equity much faster than the end of the season record will.
Makes sense and ADJW is savvy enough to not have anything really material from him in the press regarding a matter such as this. Agree on equity but (and just spit balling admittedly) I think when we see how the pivot in lax happened, I think he established he is willing to action a decision pretty quickly. Everything will be behind the scenes though until it makes sense for him to publicly speak to it and that's how it should be.

Some people don’t know what to do with themselves and don’t know how to retire. It scares them
Absolutely a real thing. But with someone the stature of Jim, with all the connections, and money… not quite the same as the average Joe that suddenly sits around for 16 hours a day.

Uhhhhhh….. I was fine with everything he said until the frank comment. What? Like honestly What. What does that mean? I imagined my coach inputting my name into that comment and I would feel awful coming to practice the next day

Some people don’t know what to do with themselves and don’t know how to retire. It scares them

And - he got to experience what his ‘retirement’ would be like during his 9 game suspension.

He HATED it.

Juli hated it.

Which is why he walked back the HCIW and set retirement things, and has kept on doing and saying JB things.

He will never leave of his own volition.

And - he got to experience what his ‘retirement’ would be like during his 9 game suspension.

He HATED it.

Juli hated it.

Which is why he walked back the HCIW and set retirement things, and has kept on doing and saying JB things.

He will never leave of his own volition.
Which, if true...

It's likely to the program's benefit to make decisions sooner rather than later before things get a lot worse.

I’d also say I’m not in favor of treating players like that per se. I think it’s uncalled for and over the top… but we tend to take it harder than the player who hears this stuff a lot, but also all of the other stuff that is good and positive.

Kadary was the same way - tea leaves being read like crazy - when it was clear we were missing about 99% of coaches interactions with the player.

Can you separate your distaste for losing and how he operates a press conference?

JB is always free to move down south and coach at some rinky dink university who doesn't really care about being ranked in the top 50. rack up some wins kick back and play golf.

Last edited:
JB is always free to move down south and coach at some rinky dink university who doesn't really care about being ranked in the top 50. rack up some wins kick back and play golf.
Honestly would be the best for all parties I think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom