“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it” | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it”

"I have said from the beginning -- I talked to Cole at the beginning of the year," Boeheim said. "He said he wanted to play here one year. I talked to Jimmy at the beginning of the year. He said he wanted to play here one year. I’ve talked to Buddy numerous times. He said he wanted to finish this year. That’s how we’ve recruited. That’s what we’ve told everybody. That’s what’s going to happen. Nothing has changed. Nobody has told me anything differently.
the same man said this...so the idea that anyone questioning is out of line is ridiculous:

“This is his choice,” Boeheim said on Gomez & Company. “It has nothing to do with the dad side at all or coach side. It’s his decision. Buddy (Boeheim) could come back. Cole (Swider) could come back. At the beginning of the year, I don’t think there was any interest for any of these guys to come back. Could that change by the end of the year? You know, things always can change but you have to wait and see and let them make their decision for what’s best for them.

I’d also say I’m not in favor of treating players like that per se. I think it’s uncalled for and over the top… but we tend to take it harder than the player who hears this stuff a lot, but also all of the other stuff that is good and positive.

Kadary was the same way - tea leaves being read like crazy - when it was clear we were missing about 99% of coaches interactions with the player.
Um, Kadary transferred. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that publicly bashing everyone on the team besides your 2 sons is a horrible look and just flat out inappropriate and wrong.
It is amazing that his sons are the only ones on the team since they've arrived to have never contributed negatively to any of our losses.

Just want to point out that if Townie still posted he’d say you were all soft. Todays kids are all a bunch of me-first millennials who are part of the everyone gets a trophy generation with their Tik tons and facespaces and slap bracelets. When he was growing up they would play dodgeball where it was ten year olds going against fully developed 18 year olds and they enjoyed it.

I don’t agree with Boeheim throwing players under the bus but I think it’s his way of motivating them to get better.

Name me another coach in any sport who has routinely publicly bashed his own players by name because I can't think of anyone.

I like where people assume the players have the same level of relationship to JB that they do or that they’d not heard worse in private.

More “that thing he said at the press conference“ vs 40+ years of building a program to where we expect top 25 type seasons. People complaining about his press conferences is the only thing as consistent as his winning %. I don’t know why people take it personal. It’s weird.

He took a swing at having an unathletic, but lights out shooting team and it failed. He got to see his sons play together which if you’re not blinded by weirdness is awesome. He’s changed in the past, he’ll get us better.
I have my serious doubts that he can change at this point, but I hope you’re right.

I don't get JB's plan with Anselem.

If he pushes on Frankie too much and Anselem jumps in the portal, what's JB going to do for backup 5 next season?

No way he'll actually play Carey. Is JB going to try to get a big out of the portal to back up Edwards? Is he actually going to turn to a freshman forward?

The litmus test of the repeated throwing players under the bus will be this off-season...

If we have some high profile players go portal again and a couple high profile decommits from the incoming class, I think the pressure will be wratcheted up on wildhack considerably.

And it's certainly possible after this debacle of a season and how JB's ripped the players publicly, over and over again.
Players can’t decommit. They signed LOIs. But we could have transfers. Though most of those guys will be starters next season so I doubt they leave.

Post-game pressers-
The JB uppercut that follows a solid punch to the gut watching an ugly SU loss.

I still take the punch in the gut (with less engagement), but avoid that nasty JB uppercut.

Players can’t decommit. They signed LOIs. But we could have transfers. Though most of those guys will be starters next season so I doubt they leave.
Yes, they can decommit but there are consequences. The university can voluntarily grant the player's request for release from the LOI without consequences, or the player can petition the NLI Committee for a release from the LOI. In either case, if the release is not granted, the player can still leave the university but loses one year of eligibility and must also sit out for one year.

That’s crap. It’s a zone. The guy with the ball has to get covered by someone. Joe and Buddy didn’t do it. The forwards aren’t going to abandon their zones to do it. It is the center’s responsibility to cover that area. The guards could help out, but they know that they aren’t quick enough to then get to shooters. Their job is to stare back at the ball while the guys on the other team reposition to get open three point shots. Meanwhile, the forwards have to cover for the center leaving the open corner three. Luckily all they did was dump it down to Williams who far outmatched our forwards. Anyone with half a brain knew this could get ugly fast. And with them hitting threes early, it was game over. His adjustment was throwing our athletes out there and they did a better job. But, they weren’t prepared because they don’t play enough and there was no defensive adjustment. If we had athletic guards with size and good defensive instincts, then at least we would have a puncher’s chance. But, we don’t.
You’re wrong, but since you just glossed over how covering the guy on the foul line versus covering the guy below the block is a choice made by the center, I’ll assume you know nothing about how zone defense works.

You’re wrong, but since you just glossed over how covering the guy on the foul line versus covering the guy below the block is a choice made by the center, I’ll assume you know nothing about how zone defense works.
So the center has the choice to just leave a really good shooter alone at the free throw line? A player, by the way that if left alone, could also take a single dribble and dunk over said center with ease or draw a foul on every single possession. That is an option? Thank you for the lesson on zone defense. I’ve learned a lot today.

I like where people assume the players have the same level of relationship to JB that they do or that they’d not heard worse in private.

More “that thing he said at the press conference“ vs 40+ years of building a program to where we expect top 25 type seasons. People complaining about his press conferences is the only thing as consistent as his winning %. I don’t know why people take it personal. It’s weird.

He took a swing at having an unathletic, but lights out shooting team and it failed. He got to see his sons play together which if you’re not blinded by weirdness is awesome. He’s changed in the past, he’ll get us better.
Never a good look to take cheap shots at any of your players in a public forum. I think we all know when JB crosses the line from basic criticism to cheap shot as we've seen it many times. Also not cool to selectively critique certain players while looking past hideous play of others. I'll never get why people rationalize that or try to defend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom