“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it” | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it”

Name me another coach in any sport who has routinely publicly bashed his own players by name because I can't think of anyone.
It's a good question and I would imagine it's not as often as JB does, but we don't watch other coaches press conferences so who really knows?

The guards could help out, but they know that they aren’t quick enough to then get to shooters. Their job is to stare back at the ball while the guys on the other team reposition to get open three point shots.
Sad but true. I’ve always asked why they can’t just face guard the shooters. Beats staring at the guy who just blew by you.

Sad but true. I’ve always asked why they can’t just face guard the shooters. Beats staring at the guy who just blew by you.
They could either collapse on the guy at the free throw line and hopefully force him in to a mistake or guard the shooters. When they just turn and stare, they make it impossible for the rest of the guys to cover all the possibilities for the free throw line guy. But, they aren't held accountable, it is Frank's fault.

Um, Kadary transferred. I'm not sure how anyone can argue that publicly bashing everyone on the team besides your 2 sons is a horrible look and just flat out inappropriate and wrong.
It is amazing that his sons are the only ones on the team since they've arrived to have never contributed negatively to any of our losses.
Oh, he transferred. Missed that. Sigh.

I think it’s weird that people think KR left because of public comments. I think public comments are overblown and folks who get riled up by them are largely channeling their own issues with losing or not liking JAB onto it.

I get why it’s a bad look to make those comments about other players and not his sons. But I don’t think he’s not had those conversations with them either.

Drama! Losing sucks and we have been blessed with not a lot of bad seasons. We handle it pretty poorly, IMO

Never a good look to take cheap shots at any of your players in a public forum. I think we all know when JB crosses the line from basic criticism to cheap shot as we've seen it many times. Also not cool to selectively critique certain players while looking past hideous play of others. I'll never get why people rationalize that or try to defend it.
You know when it’s mostly fine? If you’ve had detailed and frank (excuse the pun) discussions in private with the player.

Why doesn’t the modern player with Twitter *right there* and the ability to say whatever they want and transfer wherever *complain about public comments* being the thing that pushed them away?

Myopic fandom view vs reality

You know when it’s mostly fine? If you’ve had detailed and frank (excuse the pun) discussions in private with the player.

Why doesn’t the modern player with Twitter *right there* and the ability to say whatever they want and transfer wherever *complain about public comments* being the thing that pushed them away?

So then what makes those comments by JB a good thing? How does it help the team and program?

So u think some of SU's modern players enjoy being JB's whipping boy in these pressers? Just once I'd like to see JB take one of his sons to task for missed defensive assignments etc. in a postgame presser.

Morbid to say, but I could see Jim not lasting much longer once he is out of coaching.

Its so much of who he is.

Yes, they can decommit but there are consequences. The university can voluntarily grant the player's request for release from the LOI without consequences, or the player can petition the NLI Committee for a release from the LOI. In either case, if the release is not granted, the player can still leave the university but loses one year of eligibility and must also sit out for one year.
You had at least 3 women recruits who had signed LOI last year and all transferred before enrolling, and are playing elsewhere.

You had at least 3 women recruits who had signed LOI last year and all transferred before enrolling, and are playing elsewhere.
The courteous thing to do is to release them from their LOI, but the school doesn’t have to. And, who cares? A new coach would want his own players. It would be a 1-2 year transition.

The courteous thing to do is to release them from their LOI, but the school doesn’t have to. And, who cares? A new coach would want his own players. It would be a 1-2 year transition.
We aren’t getting Pitino but he would hit the portal and year one he would likely have us cpmpetitve if not top 25. While recruiting HS kids for year 2.

We aren’t getting Pitino though.

We aren’t getting Pitino but he would hit the portal and year one he would likely have us cpmpetitve if not top 25. While recruiting HS kids for year 2.

We aren’t getting Pitino though.
For sure, the right coach could come in and turn it around in year one. That is the dream.

6A229299-DD26-46F7-BCDA-5C553B71302E.jpeg

JB blaming Frank…. How about— it’s your lazy scheme, Jimbo? The one that requires the slowest collection of players in our history to guard areas, while the old adage remains true: the ball moves faster than the man. The scheme that only makes you guard a player only as a reaction to him getting the ball. The same scheme that every sucky commentator knows can be beaten like a mule by stationing a play initiator at the FT line. The same scheme that had our potato-kneed, strapped-together-with-rubber bands center running out to the corner to defend a three so far that he collapsed into our own bench. A center, folded atop a walk-on, having tried to block a three point shot.… That would have been Frank, had he been able to figure out a way to guard both Banchero and the guy ooping behind him at the same time. Didn’tya think, JB, that the coach with the most wins, who you told all about the zone, wouldn’t be able to manipulate it against you? And that’s Frank’s fault? Someone ’doesn’t get it.’

JB sold into all zone all the time years ago . it's his trademark. made the excuses our guys can't play man but more likely he can't coach man anymore. don't kid yourself. truth is these same kids would be playing man D anywhere else. now that it clearly isn't working he's flummoxed. smart enuf to see that his strategy is dino-ball but too stubborn too change. now we hear the whispers of "man" next year. next year is already too late jimbo. step aside graciously and ride your golf cart off into the sunset before you damage your reputation as a winner even further. we gave you one full season to coach and feature your boys and revel in their minutes and memories even though we'll be looking at possibly a losing record.
time to go. follow your buddy K's lead and step aside and enjoy your retirement.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago only one of three people told him to knock off with the public player bashing.
Chancellor / Wildhack / Juli
Time for one of the other two to step up I guess.

Which one?

ACC has just one ranked team and they took us behind woodshed twice. this team is not good. not by our standards. ill constructed and ill coached. anyone who can't see it ...have fun sitting in front of the sanyo selection sunday.your pizza will be stone cold before you hear our name bracketed.

Last edited:
So then what makes those comments by JB a good thing? How does it help the team and program?
If he’s said the same thing in private - it’s a nothing burger

ACC has just one ranked team and they took us behind woodshed twice. this team is not good. not by our standards. ill constructed and ill coached. anyone who can't see it ...have fun sitting in front of the sanyo selection sunday.your pizza will be stone cold before you hear our name bracketed.
That’s def not my position lol. We are bad this year.
So u think some of SU's modern players enjoy being JB's whipping boy in these pressers? Just once I'd like to see JB take one of his sons to task for missed defensive assignments etc. in a postgame presser.
That’s not what I said. I said if he’s echoing what he’s said in private and they have a relationship/understanding the public comments are not what you’re making them out to be. It’s a meh.

If you think the man coached for 40+ years and hasn’t had that conversation with his boys, you’re losing it. It is lame to criticize others but not your own. I thought Buddy or Jimmy said he doesn’t hold back in front of the team. That probably counts for more, in house

Here's some context:

"I have said from the beginning -- I talked to Cole at the beginning of the year," Boeheim said. "He said he wanted to play here one year. I talked to Jimmy at the beginning of the year. He said he wanted to play here one year. I’ve talked to Buddy numerous times. He said he wanted to finish this year. That’s how we’ve recruited. That’s what we’ve told everybody. That’s what’s going to happen. Nothing has changed. Nobody has told me anything differently. And that’s why we’re trying to bring in six guys, or seven."

"Whoever said I wasn’t?" Boeheim said. "You don’t need to ask. It’s been asked and answered 26,000 times. Every press conference I gave at the beginning of the year, I said I had no intentions of not coaching. I said it 30 times. Because we’re having a bad year, you want me to quit? I don’t quit because we’re having a bad year. I’ve told every recruit – we had a pretty good recruit in here today – I’ve told every single one of them, 'I’ll be coaching next year.' So I don’t know what you need me to do or say."

Boeheim then mocked the reporter who asked the question, comparing his comprehension to that of second-year center Frank Anselem, who Boeheim said played only eight minutes after starting due to poor defensive positioning.

"I guess, kind of like Frank, you don’t get it," he said.

From the horse's mouth for all to hear. There's really not much to say IMO. Unfortunately, it clearly speaks for itself.
Jim has always been a thin skinned bully. Its his worst trait and its ugly

And - he got to experience what his ‘retirement’ would be like during his 9 game suspension.

He HATED it.

Juli hated it.

Which is why he walked back the HCIW and set retirement things, and has kept on doing and saying JB things.

He will never leave of his own volition.
Oh stop it. Everyone knows that Hop bailed on the job he had been waiting 100 years for and JB stepped up and forced himself for the good of SU to keep coaching.

That wasn't my question. Tell us how doing it that way is a good thing. How is it good for SU hoops, recruiting etc. You answered on an assumption as well.
Inherent in my response is that I don’t think it’s a good thing or helping them team. In private? It’s absolutely essential that the HC hold the players accountable.

My turn. Do you think he says these things to these guys in private? And do you recognize that in the context of a relationship between player and coach, this can be healthy?

If all of that is true, than the public stuff is girded by and informed by relationship which you and I are not privy to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom