“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it” | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

“I guess, kinda like Frank you don’t get it”

That suspension he served has made it impossible for him to retire. He hated it so much.
No he is vindictive towards the Chancellor for telling him when he was to retire. Its why he pulled what he did with Hop.

Inherent in my response is that I don’t think it’s a good thing or helping them team. In private? It’s absolutely essential that the HC hold the players accountable.

My turn. Do you think he says these things to these guys in private? And do you recognize that in the context of a relationship between player and coach, this can be healthy?

If all of that is true, than the public stuff is girded by and informed by relationship which you and I are not privy to.
I don’t care what the HC says in private. It’s his mouth when talking to the rest of the world.

Kids can be coached tough privately.
Ripping some kids publicly and not other kids is bullchit.
If j were Tyler Roberson’s dad I would have gone to and told JB to go bleep off.

These kids aren’t paid. The coach is paid. If the kids stay out of trouble then shut the bleep up in the media. He is so passive aggressive about it. It’s not done in a clear manner he is trying to help. It’s bullying.

And he never talks about his kids publicly. Ever. If you aren’t going to light up every kid publicly then shut up.
What he said about Frank yesterday was pathetic.
He was a jerk and then used Frank to take a shot at a reporter. Leave your player alone.

That’s def not my position lol. We are bad this year.

That’s not what I said. I said if he’s echoing what he’s said in private and they have a relationship/understanding the public comments are not what you’re making them out to be. It’s a meh.

If you think the man coached for 40+ years and hasn’t had that conversation with his boys, you’re losing it. It is lame to criticize others but not your own. I thought Buddy or Jimmy said he doesn’t hold back in front of the team. That probably counts for more, in house
So if he rips somebody to shreds in private then ripping him in public is meh. That makes zero sense to me.

If I was the parent of a top flight recruit and watched JB ridicule his players during a presser then I'd tell him to look elsewhere.

I like where people assume the players have the same level of relationship to JB that they do or that they’d not heard worse in private.

More “that thing he said at the press conference“ vs 40+ years of building a program to where we expect top 25 type seasons. People complaining about his press conferences is the only thing as consistent as his winning %. I don’t know why people take it personal. It’s weird.

He took a swing at having an unathletic, but lights out shooting team and it failed. He got to see his sons play together which if you’re not blinded by weirdness is awesome. He’s changed in the past, he’ll get us better.
Lights out shooting team? meh.

I’ve been fortunate to follow the best football coach of all time, Bill Belichick, on a daily basis for 20 years. He doesn’t rip players publicly ever. He may describe a failure on a play, or state matter of factly that someone has a bad game, but it’s never done in an antagonistic way. And these are paid professionals that he’s coaching.

There’s just no need to act the way JB does in press conferences when it comes to ripping his own players. I’ve always hated it, even while a lot of people here thought it was funny (when we were winning, of course).

I mean, I have zero problem if the coach of my son or daughter yell at them in practices or games. But I’d be livid if the coach shredded them to others the way JB does in pressers.

I don’t care if it has any impact on recruiting. It’s just garbage and a lousy way to represent the university. It’s bully BS.

I’ve been fortunate to follow the best football coach of all time, Bill Belichick, on a daily basis for 20 years. He doesn’t rip players publicly ever. He may describe a failure on a play, or state matter of factly that someone has a bad game, but it’s never done in an antagonistic way. And these are paid professionals that he’s coaching.

There’s just no need to act the way JB does in press conferences when it comes to ripping his own players. I’ve always hated it, even while a lot of people here thought it was funny (when we were winning, of course).

I mean, I have zero problem if the coach of my son or daughter yell at them in practices or games. But I’d be livid if the coach shredded them to others the way JB does in pressers.

I don’t care if it has any impact on recruiting. It’s just garbage and a lousy way to represent the university. It’s bully BS.
10000000000000000000000 agree

rrlbees, I would really like for your take on this subject.

Inherent in my response is that I don’t think it’s a good thing or helping them team. In private? It’s absolutely essential that the HC hold the players accountable.

My turn. Do you think he says these things to these guys in private? And do you recognize that in the context of a relationship between player and coach, this can be healthy?

If all of that is true, than the public stuff is girded by and informed by relationship which you and I are not privy to.

Well I recognize that there should always be criticism equivalent with greater explanation in private that matches anything that is public outside of that conversation for starters.

That said there is no relationship dynamic between boss and employee, educator/student or coach/player that is healthy that involves public ridicule. In 15 years of managing large teams I would never publicize my comments given to a direct report and that is someone who has an employment contract with my firm.

I've not seen a teacher or professor publicly call out a student.

Thus conflating the value of honesty in a coach/player relationship with making criticism public is a very poor conclusion.

Even in the old school culture of sports this wasn't a valuable approach except maybe in situations with star players who themselves speak out. Frank hasn't said a negative word about his coach or teammates. to a reporter that has made it to print.

All this does is make the assistant coaches jobs harder to manage this with the kids we have now and the recruits they consistently engage with.

It's an indefensible approach and I really don't get defending JB on this whatsoever.

If he’s said the same thing in private - it’s a nothing burger
Have you noticed that you consistently find yourself on an island relative to the clear consensus of board opinion?

With respect to your belief that JB publically ripping players is a "nothing burger" if he is saying the same things in private (a ridiculous hill to die on), I can tell you with certainty that it does matter to those that JB has to answer to.

Well I recognize that there should always be criticism equivalent with greater explanation in private that matches anything that is public outside of that conversation for starters.

That said there is no relationship dynamic between boss and employee, educator/student or coach/player that is healthy that involves public ridicule. In 15 years of managing large teams I would never publicize my comments given to a direct report and that is someone who has an employment contract with my firm.

I've not seen a teacher or professor publicly call out a student.

Thus conflating the value of honesty in a coach/player relationship with making criticism public is a very poor conclusion.

Even in the old school culture of sports this wasn't a valuable approach except maybe in situations with star players who themselves speak out. Frank hasn't said a negative word about his coach or teammates. to a reporter that has made it to print.

All this does is make the assistant coaches jobs harder to manage this with the kids we have now and the recruits they consistently engage with.

It's an indefensible approach and I really don't get defending JB on this whatsoever.
I’m defending the status quo. This is how he’s operated for a long time. It’s not how you or I would handle it - it’s not a good thing. My point is that it’s rooted in a relationship that sports teams/HCs often equate to family. In that context, the damage is limited and certainly isn’t matched by the freak out here every time it happens.

Have you noticed that you consistently find yourself on an island relative to the clear consensus of board opinion?

With respect to your belief that JB publically ripping players is a "nothing burger" if he is saying the same things in private (a ridiculous hill to die on), I can tell you with certainty that it does matter to those that JB has to answer to.
I often take the opposite side of arguments to try to help see the whole picture more clearly. There’s a real tendency for group think to take root quickly without a real deep dive into the whole of it. Which leads to a point not a lot of people have shared:

I think it can amount to a nothing burger for the player to whom the comment has already been stated in private, upon which a relationship is the basis.

If my son and I have already talked about him holding the ball too much on the soccer field, and he overhears me talking to his modified coach about it - the worst he can say is that I’m consistent in my criticism. He can disagree on the substance. And he may not like it. But lucky for the two of us, it’s built on years of relationship and love.

I’m defending the status quo. This is how he’s operated for a long time. It’s not how you or I would handle it - it’s not a good thing. My point is that it’s rooted in a relationship that sports teams/HCs often equate to family. In that context, the damage is limited and certainly isn’t matched by the freak out here every time it happens.

I hear you.

The issue even then is that the status quo is producing poor results and much weaker recruiting classes.

Thus it's not really the status quo given that the key assistants, the guys who could glue everything together (Mike and Bernie) aren't here anymore. The status quo was not just the approach- it was the personnel as well. So now you a staff that just doesn't have that same ability to balance out the bad of JB so that the brilliance can shine. That was a hell of a combination for a while that showed just how key it was in short order.

I often take the opposite side of arguments to try to help see the whole picture more clearly. There’s a real tendency for group think to take root quickly without a real deep dive into the whole of it. Which leads to a point not a lot of people have shared:

I think it can amount to a nothing burger for the player to whom the comment has already been stated in private, upon which a relationship is the basis.

If my son and I have already talked about him holding the ball too much on the soccer field, and he overhears me talking to his modified coach about it - the worst he can say is that I’m consistent in my criticism. He can disagree on the substance. And he may not like it. But lucky for the two of us, it’s built on years of relationship and love.
I do agree with you about groupthink and your point is well taken.

As for your son, would you feel differently if the modified soccer coach posted a Youtube video that everyone who knows your son watched and in that video he detailed, repeatedly, that no matter how many times I (and even his father) explain things to him, Cusian Jr just doesn't get it?

I can think of other reasons JB doesn't criticized buddy or Jimmy.

(1) he criticize them on the drive home after a game.
(2) he doesn't want to get into trouble with Julie.
(3) his sons have already overachieved, they have no upside left, so he is saving his breath for players with room for improvement.
(4) he knows them so well he can telepathically criticize them with a hard stare.

So, Frank wasn’t supposed to cover the guy at the foul line that received the ball there with no resistance because the guards can’t defend at all? The guy at fault is Frank?
C'mon now Fog, you know its Frank's job to cover the corner 3.

Last edited:

This answers the question about next year.
He’s going out this way cause he’s here .. as long as he’s at the helm.., he’s going out this way

Well put. You said what I was too lazy to write out. It makes JB look dumb. I don’t think JB is dumb, so it just makes me distrust his judgement and intention.
This is what happens when you get old. You say things that you provably shouldn’t . It’s not like you are a worse person, you are just no longer able to conceal your true self .. or you just no longer care to

I don’t care what the HC says in private. It’s his mouth when talking to the rest of the world.

If j were Tyler Roberson’s dad I would have gone to and told JB to go bleep off.

These kids aren’t paid. The coach is paid. If the kids stay out of trouble then shut the bleep up in the media. He is so passive aggressive about it. It’s not done in a clear manner he is trying to help. It’s bullying.

And he never talks about his kids publicly. Ever. If you aren’t going to light up every kid publicly then shut up.
He was a jerk and then used Frank to take a shot at a reporter. Leave your player alone.

And this is now a significant part of his legacy.

There is no sugar-coating it anymore with wins as frosting.

He doesn't want to go out what way??

The ship has already sailed on this bs and this IS part of his legacy.

Boehiem miscalculated the effect of the Portal and the freedom it gave players ... keeping players happy is not a Boehiem strong suite as he plays favorites 32-35 minutes which is why the program is where it at... and its sad because we could of had a Top 25 team if half the team didn't transfer.

Bravo friend, could not have said it better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom