2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

Pat Hanlon, the NYG PR guy, tried to explain it away. Not buying it. That was a blow-off.

Oh there was no other way to interpret that. I don't envy Pat trying to explain that one.

Houston has embarrassed the NFL playoffs with their inclusion. They have made Andy Reid look good. I mean wow this game sucks. Looks like KC will be a trendy pick next week at Denver or NE.

I don't think I have ever seen a team meltdown like the Bengals did tonight. What a disgraceful performance by Burfecht and Jones in the end of that game. They literally gave Pittsburgh the win.

Even though I think Pittsburgh is better than Denver with an injured Ben and Brown they won't win. I think KC/NE is the AFC Title game and the winner will go to Denver the next week and win.

Bring it Steelers, can't wait to see Chris Harris get a second crack at Brown. The chefs looked terrible no matter what that score was. If we can get past Ben, I want Brady again.

If I were Cincinnati I would fire Marvin Lewis and hire Tom Coughlin. That team has so much talent but is totally undisciplined.

I don't think I have ever seen a team meltdown like the Bengals did tonight. What a disgraceful performance by Burfecht and Jones in the end of that game. They literally gave Pittsburgh the win.

Even though I think Pittsburgh is better than Denver with an injured Ben and Brown they won't win. I think KC/NE is the AFC Title game and the winner will go to Denver the next week and win.

Disgraceful, how do you let your team completely lose control like that? As many games as Marvin Lewis has won, its time for that franchise to move on.

So a steelers asst coach was able to pull a bengals player's hair and another steelers asst coach was able to stand in a pack of opposing players ON THE FIELD talking smack and stirring up trouble and penalties go against the Bengals in both circumstances.

Plus the leading with the crown hit by Shazier that basically killed Bengals runner gets no penalty but a shoulder to the head hit does...

Refs messed up.

So a steelers asst coach was able to pull a bengals player's hair and another steelers asst coach was able to stand in a pack of opposing players ON THE FIELD talking smack and stirring up trouble and penalties go against the Bengals in both circumstances.

Plus the leading with the crown hit by Shazier that basically killed Bengals runner gets no penalty but a shoulder to the head hit does...

Refs messed up.
The Steelers OL coach was given a 15 yard PF for pulling Kirkpatrick's hair in the first quarter.

Joey Porter was helping Antonio Brown off the field there is no excuse for Pac-Man Jones getting that PF in the last 20 minutes. It gave the game to Pittsburgh.

Burfuct should have been thrown out of that game early. He was trying to hurt people and was not playing the game the right way. Phil Simms was the only guy worse than the Cincy defenders composure.

Shazier didn't commit a PF because the runner wasn't a defenseless runner.

If I were Cincinnati I would fire Marvin Lewis and hire Tom Coughlin. That team has so much talent but is totally undisciplined.

He handled the Beckham situation so well, maybe the Tc of 10 years ago, today's Tc is in retirement mode.

Refs messed up.

Brown was a defenseless player, Bernard was a runner.

Alsacs said:

I love TC, but the aura of discipline was just that, really wasn't there for many years

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8 (Unnecessary roughness) in the NFL rulebook

(f) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily.

The Steelers OL coach was given a 15 yard PF for pulling Kirkpatrick's hair in the first quarter.

Joey Porter was helping Antonio Brown off the field there is no excuse for Pac-Man Jones getting that PF in the last 20 minutes. It gave the game to Pittsburgh.

Burfuct should have been thrown out of that game early. He was trying to hurt people and was not playing the game the right way. Phil Simms was the only guy worse than the Cincy defenders composure.

You aren't supposed to use the crown of ur helmet, period. It was a dirty hit and there should have been a flag.

Joey Porter was no where near Antonio Brown in any of the video I saw, he was in a pack of Bengals players talking shiz.

Must have missed who they actually threw the flag on with the hair pulling thing, was trying to watch hoops game at the same time and just assumed they called it on Bengals.

Just sick of the sanctimonious b.s from Simms, Nantz, the CBS crew like the Steelers are a bunch of choir boys.

The refs giving the Steelers the game is a farce and the NFL should be embarrassed.

You aren't supposed to use the crown of ur helmet, period. It was a dirty hit and there should have been a flag.

Joey Porter was no where near Antonio Brown in any of the video I saw, he was in a pack of Bengals players talking shiz.

Must have missed who they actually threw the flag on with the hair pulling thing, was trying to watch hoops game at the same time and just assumed they called it on Bengals.

Just sick of the sanctimonious b.s from Simms, Nantz, the CBS crew like the Steelers are a bunch of choir boys.

The refs giving the Steelers the game is a farce and the NFL should be embarrassed.

I am getting tired of the Steelers, but the Bengals gave them the game, not the refs.

Lets be clear -- Pacman Jones got the 15 yarder for slamming into the ref trying to get at Porter. Porter will be fined, but he didn't do anything unnecessary there. He'll be fined for not being with Brown at that point (as he should have been). Pacman should never have run at Porter and tried to get at him. Hitting the ref sealed that penalty for him.

Burfict deserves to be suspended for multiple games as it's obvious fines are not enough to dissuade him from intentionally trying to hurt players. He has a long history of this, and the only thing that's surprising is that the great Marvin Lewis didn't reign him in much earlier. He deserved the 15 yarder as well.

Shazier's hit should have been a 15 yarder, but it wasn't nearly as intentional as the Burfict hit (and he did hit him with the helmet, THEN the shoulder). That was a play where Bernard turned around and they both put their helmets down. Shazier should know better, but I didn't feel like it was a cheap shot.

The Bengals had plenty of chances to win that game in the last minute and a half, and f*cked every single one up. There's a reason the franchise hasn't won a playoff game in 9,000 days.

Burfict makes an amazing interception, and that should seal up the game. Forget the fact he acted like a complete and total ass while running into the tunnel at the OPPOSITE end of the field after the play (which should have been yet another 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct against him).

All they needed to do was take a knee, and give the ball back to the Steelers with a minute left and a whole field to go with no timeouts. Instead they hand it off, and Hill fumbles.

Then they just need to stop the Steelers from driving 75 yards, and they gift them 30 yards. The Bengals lost the game, the refs didn't give it to the Steelers. You must be a Bengals, Browns, or Ravens fan if you believe that.

Pittsburgh wasn't impressive. Im not sure why everyone thinks they are so great. They are a different offensive team on the road. Ben is hurt now, and he's thrown a lot of INTS this year. I thought they had the juice to beat Denver, now I'm not so sure. Denver won't gift wrap them the game like Cincy always does in the playoffs.

Not enough respect given to the Pats in the AFC. Still the team to beat IMO, especially with all their receivers in there.

Pittsburgh wasn't impressive. Im not sure why everyone thinks they are so great. They are a different offensive team on the road. Ben is hurt now, and he's thrown a lot of INTS this year. I thought they had the juice to beat Denver, now I'm not so sure. Denver won't gift wrap them the game like Cincy always does in the playoffs.

Not enough respect given to the Pats in the AFC. Still the team to beat IMO, especially with all their receivers in there.
If Brown and Roethlisberger can't play, they're toast. With them healthy, they might have a chance. I think Denver wins this one pretty easily.

Lets be clear -- Pacman Jones got the 15 yarder for slamming into the ref trying to get at Porter. Porter will be fined, but he didn't do anything unnecessary there. He'll be fined for not being with Brown at that point (as he should have been). Pacman should never have run at Porter and tried to get at him. Hitting the ref sealed that penalty for him.

Burfict deserves to be suspended for multiple games as it's obvious fines are not enough to dissuade him from intentionally trying to hurt players. He has a long history of this, and the only thing that's surprising is that the great Marvin Lewis didn't reign him in much earlier. He deserved the 15 yarder as well.

Shazier's hit should have been a 15 yarder, but it wasn't nearly as intentional as the Burfict hit (and he did hit him with the helmet, THEN the shoulder). That was a play where Bernard turned around and they both put their helmets down. Shazier should know better, but I didn't feel like it was a cheap shot.

The Bengals had plenty of chances to win that game in the last minute and a half, and f*cked every single one up. There's a reason the franchise hasn't won a playoff game in 9,000 days.

Burfict makes an amazing interception, and that should seal up the game. Forget the fact he acted like a complete and total ass while running into the tunnel at the OPPOSITE end of the field after the play (which should have been yet another 15 yarder for unsportsmanlike conduct against him).

All they needed to do was take a knee, and give the ball back to the Steelers with a minute left and a whole field to go with no timeouts. Instead they hand it off, and Hill fumbles.

Then they just need to stop the Steelers from driving 75 yards, and they gift them 30 yards. The Bengals lost the game, the refs didn't give it to the Steelers. You must be a Bengals, Browns, or Ravens fan if you believe that.

Burflict did the same crap at Arizona State. First round talent but that bullcrap dropped him all the way down to undrafted free agent. I just can't stand the guy - total cheap shot artist. I thought Shazier's hit should have been a penalty also but that wasn't nearly as egregious as Burflict. Interesting that Mike Pereira, who I really enjoy, agrees with the no penalty.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25444243

The dumbest play was a coaching call on the two point conversion, with the Bengals up just 1 point under 2 mins, where they threw a lateral to Hill that really came close to being a disaster...that's willful dumbness

Would have been amazing if Burfict was not down on the INT and created a 2pt Safety out of it, giving the Steelers the lead and the ball.

Played exactly into the NFL's hands, knowing they've wanted Pittsburgh all along (go watch the all-of-a-sudden favorable home-cookin' the Bills got against the Jets last weekend).

It is utterly absurd to take the ball away from one team on a completely illegal, non-called Spearing penalty and then make those calls down the stretch.

The refs screwed that game up bad, again. The Bengals lost their cool, but they should have had at least another FG if not a TD (would have had 1st & 10 at the 12 or whatever).

The fact that the ex-head of NFL officials makes no mention that the Steelers tackler led with the Crown of his helmet and Speared the "Runner" into unconsciousness tells me all I need to know about this league and its "Messaging"

Seems like most of you only watched the last 2 mins of this game to see the Bengals' sins (and they were bad), but sports and life is a narrative, not a series of "instances" and the officials did a terrible job, again. There needs to be the ability to retro-actively penalize aggressive, illegal hits like that so the refs can correct their mistakes...that was a huge one and it clearly impacted the rest of the game.

NFL got what they wanted though, best TV matchup on Sat night next week

Every book I have seen has them as the favorite or co-favorite to win the Super Bowl. How much more respect do they need?

Every book I have seen has them as the favorite or co-favorite to win the Super Bowl. How much more respect do they need?

I was talking about the so called media football experts, not Vegas. Vegas obviously is smarter than the average media football talking head.

They just reviewed Steelers hit on ESPN...clear penalty, the NFL is reveling in the group-think

The dumbest play was a coaching call on the two point conversion, with the Bengals up just 1 point under 2 mins, where they threw a lateral to Hill that really came close to being a disaster...that's willful dumbness

Would have been amazing if Burfict was not down on the INT and created a 2pt Safety out of it, giving the Steelers the lead and the ball.

Played exactly into the NFL's hands, knowing they've wanted Pittsburgh all along (go watch the all-of-a-sudden favorable home-cookin' the Bills got against the Jets last weekend).

It is utterly absurd to take the ball away from one team on a completely illegal, non-called Spearing penalty and then make those calls down the stretch.

The refs screwed that game up bad, again. The Bengals lost their cool, but they should have had at least another FG if not a TD (would have had 1st & 10 at the 12 or whatever).

The fact that the ex-head of NFL officials makes no mention that the Steelers tackler led with the Crown of his helmet and Speared the "Runner" into unconsciousness tells me all I need to know about this league and its "Messaging"

Seems like most of you only watched the last 2 mins of this game to see the Bengals' sins (and they were bad), but sports and life is a narrative, not a series of "instances" and the officials did a terrible job, again. There needs to be the ability to retro-actively penalize aggressive, illegal hits like that so the refs can correct their mistakes...that was a huge one and it clearly impacted the rest of the game.

NFL got what they wanted though, best TV matchup on Sat night next week

what specific plays are you referring to?