2016 Mets | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

I don't know what changes to make it better... Even if everyone hit for the averages on the back of the card we'd be in terrible shape.

This is why I was so shocked we drafted so much pitching in the draft... we are in dire need of positional prospects. I think the Mets need to see what the market for Harvey and Big s e xy. Wheeler will hopefully be ready after the ASB and Verret can be #5.

Ugh. Although you may be right: if they are drafting pitchers, they may be preparing to unload pitchers. Ugh.

We are about to be swept by the worst team in baseball, truly pathetic, major changes need to be made.
The Braves fired Fredi Gonzalez in mid May. It takes a while for the team and the new manager to click. They've been playing better. They took a game off the Cubs shortly before the Mets series.

And the Mets have lost three games in a few a few times recently. The most they lost all year was four in a row in May. But they won at least 12 in a row in April, so somehow people think they can keep that up despite injuries. Not exactly realistic.

Let's see how they do against KC before deciding that major changes are needed. A lot of guys will get off the DL soon.

The Braves fired Fredi Gonzalez in mid May. It takes a while for the team and the new manager to click. They've been playing better. They took a game off the Cubs shortly before the Mets series.

And the Mets have lost three games in a few a few times recently. The most they lost all year was four in a row in May. But they won at least 12 in a row in April, so somehow people think they can keep that up despite injuries. Not exactly realistic.

Let's see how they do against KC before deciding that major changes are needed. A lot of guys will get off the DL soon.

We are 6 games out, changes need to be made soon, its enough of a sample size already. I would think about sending Conforto down and bringing up Nimmo and Herrera. Darnaud is coming back, but who knows when Duda will be ready, and I don't expect Wright to be back at all this year. Sandy is going to have to find a 3b by the trade deadline.

We are 6 games out, changes need to be made soon, its enough of a sample size already. I would think about sending Conforto down and bringing up Nimmo and Herrera. Darnaud is coming back, but who knows when Duda will be ready, and I don't expect Wright to be back at all this year. Sandy is going to have to find a 3b by the trade deadline.
Well that's fair enough. I just stopped posting on a board where posters call for TC's head even after a WIN, so I'm a bit sensitive. CorduroyG knows what I mean.

Though Sandy already got Kelly Johnson. Platooning at third with Flores (they're both playing ok at least before the three game drought) should get us through the season barring more injuries. So 3rd base is more a long term problem if you don't think Florres or a minor leaguer can succeed Wright.

Last edited:
Well that's fair enough. I just stopped posting on a board where posters call for TC's head even after a WIN, so I'm a bit sensitive. CorduroyG knows what I mean.

Though Sandy already got Kelly Johnson. Platooning at third with Flores (they're both playing ok at least before the three game drought) should get us through the season barring more injuries. So 3rd base is more a long term problem if you don't think Florres or a minor leaguer can succeed Wright.

What Mets site do you post at?

What Mets site do you post at?
I DID at the official MLB one. But it's rather like what I hear what Syracuse.com is supposed to be like. If you want to lurk go ahead. There are some good posters. But even they are prone to slinging insults. It's just too hostile for me now.

The fact that the site itself is a hot mess - they ban even the most innocuous words like "gravy" if you can believe it; some sort of s e x ual innuendo there - and its bassackwards ways inflame the problems. Thanks MLB!!!

Ugh. Although you may be right: if they are drafting pitchers, they may be preparing to unload pitchers. Ugh.
I'm not sure what else they can do at this point... the whole Mets system has been so unbalanced toward pitching. Sandy has done a poor job of getting positional prospects to come through and they just let the best positional prospect they developed in the last 5 years walk for a draft pick which they then used on another pitcher. If you look at the team there are zero home grown hitters who are worth anything on the major league club. Conforto has potential but it looks like the pressure has gotten to him and even he's given in to the pull the ball, all or nothing philosophy of Long. I never believed in D'arnaud as he has been extremely inconsistent when healthy. Duda has had potential but he's one of those guys who when hot is scorching but when he's not gives you NOTHING. Flores has proven nothing at the major league level but some potential. And that's it... that's the Mets homegrown position players on the big league club.

I think it's time to trade 2 of their starters... realistically Harvey ain't singing with the Mets so he's the primary candidate in my mind... and for the record I don't blame Harvey for leaving the Mets given how he has been treated by the fan base this year and last. The kid pitched his arm off last year and it's not his fault that Collins left him stay in the game last November... Harvey's job is to want the ball and to never want to come out of games, Coliins' job is to take the emotion out of it and do the right thing for the team and his players. Everyone forgets that Harvey has yet to land the big contract, if I was Boras I would have tried to do the same thing last year to protect the kid's future. It still disgusts me how Mets nation turned on Harvey this year when he was struggling.

I'm not sure what else they can do at this point... the whole Mets system has been so unbalanced toward pitching. Sandy has done a poor job of getting positional prospects to come through and they just let the best positional prospect they developed in the last 5 years walk for a draft pick which they then used on another pitcher. If you look at the team there are zero home grown hitters who are worth anything on the major league club. Conforto has potential but it looks like the pressure has gotten to him and even he's given in to the pull the ball, all or nothing philosophy of Long. I never believed in D'arnaud as he has been extremely inconsistent when healthy. Duda has had potential but he's one of those guys who when hot is scorching but when he's not gives you NOTHING. Flores has proven nothing at the major league level but some potential. And that's it... that's the Mets homegrown position players on the big league club.

I think it's time to trade 2 of their starters... realistically Harvey ain't singing with the Mets so he's the primary candidate in my mind... and for the record I don't blame Harvey for leaving the Mets given how he has been treated by the fan base this year and last. The kid pitched his arm off last year and it's not his fault that Collins left him stay in the game last November... Harvey's job is to want the ball and to never want to come out of games, Coliins' job is to take the emotion out of it and do the right thing for the team and his players. Everyone forgets that Harvey has yet to land the big contract, if I was Boras I would have tried to do the same thing last year to protect the kid's future. It still disgusts me how Mets nation turned on Harvey this year when he was struggling.
Meh. Harvey doesn't exactly have a shy, retiring, ego-less personality. Boras - emphasis on the second syllable of his name, even by sports agent standards. They invited a lot of the hostility Harvey got last season by whingeing about innings limits and skipped starts in July/August, then complaining in September that Harvey was overworked, then in the playoffs/WS Harvey insisting on pitching past when it was advisable and probably blowing a crucial game and maybe his arm, giving him so many problems THIS season so far.

Nope, not a lot of sympathy here, though I don't usually pile on Harvey either for losing. Even if he has a bad year. It happens.

I've been drooling over a rotation of Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Matz and Wheeler, (in some order). Now i wonder if we'll ever see it.

I've been drooling over a rotation of Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Matz and Wheeler, (in some order). Now i wonder if we'll ever see it.

I was talking about this with a friend last year; due to how often pitchers get hurt, etc, i wasn't convinced they'd ever go through that rotation one time. And to be honest, the other 4 aside from Wheeler have been pretty healthy lately.

I think till the end of the season at least. I doubt Sandy trades Harvey when his arm and record is shaky like it is now. Or any other starter before season's end, except a fringe one like Verrett maybe.

still in the playoffs right now even with zero hitting. .every team has a hot streak even the bad ones. we have lost several tight games the last couple weeks and the Nats won them. so flipping 2 each way and its dead even again. not even the two people we thought would hit are struggling.

With the latest news on Wheeler, it doesn't look like it, Colon has pitched very well though.

Lol Colon pitched all of four times last night before being beaned on the thumb by an errant baseball. Fortunately for all concerned, the X Rays were negative so hopefully Bart doesn't miss more than one start. And although once again the Mets offense was limited and relied primarily on the HR to score, the bullpen, especially Hansel Robles, was STELLAR and got the Mets the 2-1 win against the WS champions Royals. Who, I grant you, don't look like the same team at all this season, at least so far.

Still, it was a great game and d'Arnaud returned and made at least one great defensive play so yay and LGM!!!

Dear lord, we are in trouble, the two guys who could not get hurt on this team.
This season is turning into an fcuking disaster. Good lord. It looks like our next window to win will be in two seasons... hopefully we've added some bats by then and actually can have a NYC-worthy payroll because the Madoff payments will be done.

This team is a joke, how do you lose 4 straight to the fricken Braves?

At least they didn't get out-hustled this time. The problem is, it's hard to win games with 3 runs and the Mets typically stop scoring when they get to that point and try to hold on.

Also how do you throw the ball belt-high over the plate on an 0-2 count in the 8th inning, a man on and your team up by a single run?

1. They have a new manager and have been winning lately, and not just against the Mets.

2. Historically the Mets blow chunks at Turner , so get your barf bags ready for the rest of the series.

3. Have you NOTICED that practically EVERY DAMN GAMR ANOTHER MET gets hurt? Luckily most aren't going on the DL but still...I haven't read yet what happened after last night's latest round of injuries. Noah and Cespy, right?

Oy vey.

1. They have a new manager and have been winning lately, and not just against the Mets.

2. Historically the Mets blow chunks at Turner , so get your barf bags ready for the rest of the series.

3. Have you NOTICED that practically EVERY DAMN GAMR ANOTHER MET gets hurt? Luckily most aren't going on the DL but still...I haven't read yet what happened after last night's latest round of injuries. Noah and Cespy, right?

Oy vey.

1. They are still a horrible team

2. The Mets have won 7 in a row at Turner field prior to last night

3. No excuse for losing 4 straight games to the worst team in the nl

Mets Stats:
vs. Winning Record in NL East: 6-6
vs. Losing Record in NL East: 10-9
vs. Winning Record in NL Cent: 0-0
vs. Losing Record in NL Cent: 11-5
vs. Winning Record in NL West: 5-5
vs. Losing Record in NL West: 2-5
vs. AL Central Teams: 6-4

It is imperative that they beat up the NL East (Braves, Phils) more than they have to make the wildcard. They've played 22 games out of 64 games (34%) against teams with winning records in the NL. I worry about the second half.

Mets Stats:
vs. Winning Record in NL East: 6-6
vs. Losing Record in NL East: 10-9
vs. Winning Record in NL Cent: 0-0
vs. Losing Record in NL Cent: 11-5
vs. Winning Record in NL West: 5-5
vs. Losing Record in NL West: 2-5
vs. AL Central Teams: 6-4

It is imperative that they beat up the NL East (Braves, Phils) more than they have to make the wildcard. They've played 22 games out of 64 games (34%) against teams with winning records in the NL. I worry about the second half.

The next 2 weeks are huge. The September schedule is very friendly.

The next 2 weeks are huge. The September schedule is very friendly.

Cannot overstate that enough. The season may be decided with these series against the Nats, Cubs, Marlins and Nats.

HUGE stretch here. Jose's back just in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom