2016 Yankees | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Yankees

Was in the car for the big 4 run 4th, John butchered it again.

DLsbury's 3 run triple, was called like a routine fly to center.

The call was something like...and DLsbury lifts 1 to center, (silence...) and he's on 3rd, 3 runs are in.

I was like...What??? I thought he popped out!!!

his voice tone never changed.

Bizarre.

1st of the only 6 games in april to be played in warm weather is tonight...thanks MLB for not owning a map.

although the extra 2 days rest making today Tanaka Tuesday was appreciated.

still going to root for Baltimore to get to 8-0, F the sux.

Bullpen right now is scary good and that's without Chapman. Betances and Miller were overwhelming yesterday against a ridiculously good lineup. If the Yankees lineup can stay somewhat healthy this team has a chance to make a run. Baltimore's lineup is unbelievable right now but I can't imagine that pitching is going to hold up.

Bullpen right now is scary good and that's without Chapman. Betances and Miller were overwhelming yesterday against a ridiculously good lineup. If the Yankees lineup can stay somewhat healthy this team has a chance to make a run. Baltimore's lineup is unbelievable right now but I can't imagine that pitching is going to hold up.
i think it was yesterday where the NYPost compared this years Orioles to Buck's '92 Yankees. a team where Melido Perez was the ace of a staff consisting of Scott Sanderson, Scott Kamienicki and Tim Leary. started 6-0...they finished 76-86.

a team era of 2.86 and a whip of 1.159?? yeah, thatll continue.

if the Yanks can stay healthy...

i think it was yesterday where the NYPost compared this years Orioles to Buck's '92 Yankees. a team where Melido Perez was the ace of a staff consisting of Scott Sanderson, Scott Kamienicki and Tim Leary. started 6-0...they finished 76-86.

I think that's a pretty good comparison, one difference is that the Baltimore Lineup is ridiculously deep at this point, even Trumbo is hitting. They can stay healthy and just rotate which two bats are hot for a few weeks that is a dangerous team despite major rotation issues. The back of their bullpen is also pretty good with O'day and Britton.

Ha, I remember Greg Cadaret began the season in the rotation. He was the worst lefty ever at holding the runner on first.

Ve-lar-de oh ohhhhh

I wonder what Andy Stankiewicz is doing today?!

Ve-lar-de oh ohhhhh

I wonder what Andy Stankiewicz is doing today?!
from Wikipedia...

Following his playing career, he managed the Staten Island Yankees, New York's single-A (short season) affiliate, for two seasons (2004–2005), which culminated with a New York–Penn League title in 2005. In 2006, he worked as a scout for the New York Yankees.[3] From 2006 to 2009 he was an assistant baseball coach at Arizona State University. Under his guidance, ASU led the nation in fielding percentage in 2007, and he coached 29 players who were drafted, including three first rounders.[1]

In 2012, Stankiewicz became the head coach at
Grand Canyon. In his first season he guided the Antelopes to a 27-23 overall record as the squad finished eighth in the final West Region poll. Stankiewicz also had been selected as an Assistant Coach for USA Baseball's Collegiate National Team during the summer of 2012. The squad travelled to Cuba and The Netherlands to compete in Honkbal-Haarlem Baseball Week, where they won the bronze medal. In just his second season at Grand Canyon, Stankiewicz had the program winning 40 games and advancing to the NCAA Division II Baseball Championship. Stankiewicz continues to lead the Lopes as they transition from Division II to Division I beginning in 2014. In 2015, under his direction, Grand Canyon won the 2015 regular season WAC title.

I remember him at Staten Island, as I saw a game that year, but he seems to be doing really well.

Last edited:
I'm getting terrible flashbacks to that mid 80s to early 90s era of Yankee starting pitching. You guys mentioned Cadaret, Leary, Sanderson. Then there was Ed Whitson (great to have for bar fights), Dennis Rasmussen (who somehow won 18 games one year), Bill Gullickson (who was somehow traded for Rasmussen), Eric Plunk (the big arm of the Rickey deal), Chuck Cary (screwball!), Andy Hawkins (the master of the 8 inning no hitter where you lose 4-0). I think one year, Tommy John started opening day and he was about 57 years old. Back when Tommy John surgery took 40 mph off your fastball.

The Jim Abbott deal and the signing of Jimmy Key finally turned things around. Poor Donnie Baseball, was too late to get him a ring.

Thanks, I guess! Gee, I wonder what Bam Bam Muelens is doing today...:rolleyes:
that one is actually easy.

him, as the hitting coach...and Righetti as the pitching coach...have 3 rings with the SF Giants.

him, as the hitting coach...and Righetti as the pitching coach...have 3 rings with the SF Giants.

I knew Rags was in SF. I was unaware of Hensley. Impressive.

The discussion in this thread is MUCH different than the one in the mets thread...hehehe

I'm getting terrible flashbacks to that mid 80s to early 90s era of Yankee starting pitching. You guys mentioned Cadaret, Leary, Sanderson. Then there was Ed Whitson (great to have for bar fights), Dennis Rasmussen (who somehow won 18 games one year), Bill Gullickson (who was somehow traded for Rasmussen), Eric Plunk (the big arm of the Rickey deal), Chuck Cary (screwball!), Andy Hawkins (the master of the 8 inning no hitter where you lose 4-0). I think one year, Tommy John started opening day and he was about 57 years old. Back when Tommy John surgery took 40 mph off your fastball.

The Jim Abbott deal and the signing of Jimmy Key finally turned things around. Poor Donnie Baseball, was too late to get him a ring.
MAKE IT STOP, PLEASE MOMMY!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!! {fingers in ears} LA! LA! LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!

Ivan, Cali would like to see you in his office...

MAKE IT STOP, PLEASE MOMMY!!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!!! {fingers in ears} LA! LA! LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!!!

Ha, that's what I used to say as I watched each and every game back then.

But then they finally used their misfortune to put together a long term plan. One sawed off single away from 5 rings in 6 years (not that 4 in 5 was so bad). And at that point, I reached a point where I could laugh about that period of time.

Ha, that's what I used to say as I watched each and every game back then.

But then they finally used their misfortune to put together a long term plan. One sawed off single away from 5 rings in 6 years (not that 4 in 5 was so bad). And at that point, I reached a point where I could laugh about that period of time.
2001 still irks me, should've won. Soriano or Rivera is your MVP.

for me 87-92 is a lost era, a Dark Ages of sort, in more ways than 1.

I was basically in college for all of that and had much better things to do than to sit around and watch the Yankees, ie: booze and broads. it wasn't until 93 when I had an apartment, (actually a rented house with a bunch of guys near suny Albany that we called the House of Pain, as we continued to scam on college chicks and go on spring break as early 20 something year old graduates...but I digress, that's a story for another time and place) and basically had nothing to do on Sunday-through Thursdays at night but watch sports, that I got really back into the Yanks.

the 93 team was a ton of fun, the 94 team would've won the World Series...and we were off.

edit: that era should be 6 rings in 8 years.

Last edited:

I also remember seeing him coaching in the WBC for the Netherlands.

The discussion in this thread is MUCH different than the one in the mets thread...hehehe
Yes, the small sample panic has fortunately not spread to this thread, at least not yet.

Yes, the small sample panic has fortunately not spread to this thread, at least not yet.

Well...may take quite a bit for me to panic as my expectations were not very high for this season anyways...Am waiting for Bryce Harper's first season in pinstripes...

Well...may take quite a bit for me to panic as my expectations were not very high for this season anyways...Am waiting for Bryce Harper's first season in pinstripes...
I always give it at least two or three months before drawing any conclusions either way.

Then please join us in the Mets thread.
I always wish the Mets the best and grew up watching both the Yankees and the Mets in the 60s and 70s (my father was a Yankee fan but demanded we watch all the baseball we could). Tom Seaver remains one of my favorite players ever. That said, I will pass on your offer.

--is once again going to be a problem. Every time a Yankee pitcher screws the pooch,its game over.Ellsbury is not a "clutch" hitterThe centerfielder is capable defensively until he gets hurt and Brett will move over and Hicks who may be over-rated plays left field.Cashmanneeds to tend to the run production side of the game and thus far aside from Castro who was a decent pick up for Warren.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom