2016 Yankees | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Yankees

the Yankees had a terrible April, 8-14...and got to 9-17 before the redsux came to town the Yanks took 2 out of 3...and off we went. but right before that, they had a 10 game stretch that continues to wreak today...2-8.

the season has not been as made as some make it out to be..

lot of baseball, and they can make a run...

the Yankees had a terrible April, 8-14...and got to 9-17 before the redsux came to town the Yanks took 2 out of 3...and off we went. but right before that, they had a 10 game stretch that continues to wreak today...2-8.

Take the next two in Houston and they are right on the heels of one of the teams they need to climb over. Ending up with 90-92 wins is not out of the question and might be enough to get in.

Take the next two in Houston and they are right on the heels of one of the teams they need to climb over. Ending up with 90-92 wins is not out of the question and might be enough to get in.
Girardi is a genius.

Yankees sure are getting great pitching. If they could only hit a little bit they could be back in the race. What happened to the Bronx bombers
Yeah, the only positions where the Yankees are not getting league average production are 1B, 2B, and RF/DH (whichever Beltran is not playing). If the Yankees were getting production out of the typical power positions, the rest of the lineup would be fine.

Yeah, the only positions where the Yankees are not getting league average production are 1B, 2B, and RF/DH (whichever Beltran is not playing). If the Yankees were getting production out of the typical power positions, the rest of the lineup would be fine.
in other words...every spot that Refsnyder plays.

im shocked that Castro isn't holding his own at 2b though.

He has had his moments, but he is near the bottom of every offensive category (advanced and old-school) among American League second basemen.
I knew he wasn't Cano, but didn't realize we were still trending closer to the Drew/Ryan era.

I knew he wasn't Cano, but didn't realize we were still trending closer to the Drew/Ryan era.
It would be even less noticeable if the Yankees got production from the traditional power positions, although times have changed. Middle infielders are expected to hit these days.

I'm not excited about trading Miller, unless we get a huge return.
You don't have to worry about that. There is no way they will trade him without a huge return. They are in a position of strength on this one.

Based on the Chapman trade, I don't see the Yankees being taken advantage of by anyone.

What happened its Arod is struggling mightily and Tex has fallen off a cliff. Not having Bird this year really hurts as well as the Yanks are missing a ton of homeruns that they got from those three last year.

The defensive shifts kill the Yankees. So many dead pull hitters, they just have nowhere to put the ball.

My kingdom for Aaron Hicks to get somewhat hot at the plate. Just a much better overall team with him in right, Beltran at DH, and ARod on the bench.

Same for Teixeira obviously. Was reading that if he can have a healthy August and show some of last year's form, there are a couple teams after the trade deadline who could use him. He'd clear waivers in record time.

Despite some ugly looking baseball at times, this team has been playing quite well for a while. If they can just produce a little more offense, who knows? Unfortunately, three other AL East teams are also playing well.

2016-07-27 08.30.16.jpg

The defensive shifts kill the Yankees. So many dead pull hitters, they just have nowhere to put the ball.

My kingdom for Aaron Hicks to get somewhat hot at the plate. Just a much better overall team with him in right, Beltran at DH, and ARod on the bench.

Same for Teixeira obviously. Was reading that if he can have a healthy August and show some of last year's form, there are a couple teams after the trade deadline who could use him. He'd clear waivers in record time.

It's so frustrating. It's not like these guys are power hitters trying to pull the ball down the line and over the wall. Adjust your swing and use the whole freaking field!!

It's so frustrating. It's not like these guys are power hitters trying to pull the ball down the line and over the wall. Adjust your swing and use the whole freaking field!!

Sadly, that Pete Rose/Rod Carew/Tony Gwynn/Wade Boggs style of hitting is passé now. Remember Charlie Lau? Hitters are taught to drive the ball as hard as they can, and strikeouts are acceptable as long as the HR's are there. I blame the high light reel, where home runs play much better than small ball rallies, and the ticket-buying public has bought in. I'm sure the decline in juicing has something to do with it, also.

Last edited:
Sadly, that Pete Rose/Rod Carew/Tony Gwynn/Wade Boggs style of hitting is passé now. Remember Charlie Lau? Hitters are taught to drive the ball as hard as they can, and strikeouts are acceptable as long as the HR's are there. I blame the high light reel, where home runs play much better than small ball rallies, and the ticket-buying public has bought in. I'm sure the decline in juicing has something to do with it, also.

True but it's also been proven over the years that there are many hitters capable of hitting with power to all parts of the field. Focusing on straight pulling power limits the hitters ability, as he then either has to guess right on a pitch or hope the pitcher makes a mistake. It's part of why we've seen the rise in dominant pitching lately. These pitchers know that all they have to do is paint the outside corner constantly, and hitters are still trying to pull that pitch, resulting in weak flyouts/groundouts off the end of the bat. Frustrating to watch.

actually more fun with #s...the Yankees were 4-2.

so it wasn't just a 1o game stretch, it was a 20 game stretch at 5-15.

they go 10-10 there and theyre leading the wild card.

BUY Cash, BUY

Yankees sure are getting great pitching. If they could only hit a little bit they could be back in the race. What happened to the Bronx bombers
What happened its Arod is struggling mightily and Tex has fallen off a cliff. Not having Bird this year really hurts as well as the Yanks are missing a ton of homeruns that they got from those three last year.
Don't worry, it will all be fixed for next year once we sign Bryce Harper as a FA in the off-season. (A co-worker will have a major coronary when that happens!)

I lay the blame on SportsCenter. Which highlight gets shown - a solo homer (for either side) that makes the game 8-2 or a sac fly in the 6th that brings in the winning run in a 3-2 game (BTW the run was set up by a grounder to the 2nd baseman that moved the lead-off hitter from 2nd to 3rd)?

If there's something wrong about a sport you like, you're probably not too far off by blaming SportsCenter. Another - Why do people try to make "The Big Hit" in football instead of a wrap-up tackle? How many times have you seen someone miss one and have the ball carrier go for a TD?

True but it's also been proven over the years that there are many hitters capable of hitting with power to all parts of the field. Focusing on straight pulling power limits the hitters ability, as he then either has to guess right on a pitch or hope the pitcher makes a mistake. It's part of why we've seen the rise in dominant pitching lately. These pitchers know that all they have to do is paint the outside corner constantly, and hitters are still trying to pull that pitch, resulting in weak flyouts/groundouts off the end of the bat. Frustrating to watch.

Lau's disciple Walt Hriniak was the batting coach with the Red Sox for a while in the 80's:

Hriniak's batting theories had many adherents among Red Sox players, but he also had detractors. Ted Williams, the Hall of Fame hitter and all-time Boston great, was outspoken in his criticism of Hriniak's methods. Williams and his followers felt that Hriniak robbed his hitters of extra-base power by teaching them to hit the ball up the middle, "swing down on the ball", or to take the upper hand off the bat at the end of their swing — which may have been oversimplifications of Hriniak's philosophies.

"I don't have a problem with Ted Williams", Hriniak told Yankee Magazine in 1986. "He teaches his way, and I teach mine. I don't teach a level swing, a downward swing, or an uppercut swing. Hitters are all different, so I teach all three ... You don't have to hit my way, you don't have to hit his way. Just make up your minds. Don't keep changing lanes. You can't hit when you're confused."​

~Wiki

Lau's disciple Walt Hriniak was the batting coach with the Red Sox for a while in the 80's:

Hriniak's batting theories had many adherents among Red Sox players, but he also had detractors. Ted Williams, the Hall of Fame hitter and all-time Boston great, was outspoken in his criticism of Hriniak's methods. Williams and his followers felt that Hriniak robbed his hitters of extra-base power by teaching them to hit the ball up the middle, "swing down on the ball", or to take the upper hand off the bat at the end of their swing — which may have been oversimplifications of Hriniak's philosophies.

"I don't have a problem with Ted Williams", Hriniak told Yankee Magazine in 1986. "He teaches his way, and I teach mine. I don't teach a level swing, a downward swing, or an uppercut swing. Hitters are all different, so I teach all three ... You don't have to hit my way, you don't have to hit his way. Just make up your minds. Don't keep changing lanes. You can't hit when you're confused."​

~Wiki
And while we're dumping on Ted Williams - I'm sorry Ted, but hitting a baseball is not the hardest thing in sports. If you didn't walk, get hit by the pitch, get on by catcher's interference, or strike out, you hit the baseball. You didn't get a hit, but you hit the baseball. Scoring a goal in hockey is much harder even than getting a hit, especially since the "success area" is only 18 sq ft and you don't have someone actively trying to knock you into the 10th row while you're up at bat in baseball.

I lay the blame on SportsCenter. Which highlight gets shown - a solo homer (for either side) that makes the game 8-2 or a sac fly in the 6th that brings in the winning run in a 3-2 game (BTW the run was set up by a grounder to the 2nd baseman that moved the lead-off hitter from 2nd to 3rd)?
I do not know this to be true, but analytics probably suggest that a hitter should never sacrifice his chances of hitting a home run, because the outcome is significantly better than all other outcomes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom