2022 World Cup | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

orange79

Internet Sleuth
We can use this thread for the at-large World Cup stuff. Your choice whether to use this thread or the 2022 USMNT thread for US games.

Interesting discussion in there about the alcohol situation.

In September, Qatar had said it would permit ticketed fans to buy alcoholic beer at World Cup stadiums three hours before kickoff and for one hour after the final whistle, but not during the match.

“Let me first assure you that every decision that is taken in this World Cup is a joint decision between Qatar and FIFA,” he said. “Every decision is discussed, debated and taken jointly.”

“There will be […] over 200 places where you can buy alcohol in Qatar and over 10 fan zones, where over 100,000 people can simultaneously drink alcohol.

“I think personally, if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive.”

“Especially because actually the same rules apply in France or in Spain or in Portugal or in Scotland, where no beer is allowed in stadiums now,” he added.

Interesting discussion in there about the alcohol situation.

In September, Qatar had said it would permit ticketed fans to buy alcoholic beer at World Cup stadiums three hours before kickoff and for one hour after the final whistle, but not during the match.

“Let me first assure you that every decision that is taken in this World Cup is a joint decision between Qatar and FIFA,” he said. “Every decision is discussed, debated and taken jointly.”

“There will be […] over 200 places where you can buy alcohol in Qatar and over 10 fan zones, where over 100,000 people can simultaneously drink alcohol.

“I think personally, if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive.”

“Especially because actually the same rules apply in France or in Spain or in Portugal or in Scotland, where no beer is allowed in stadiums now,” he added.
Pretty weak deflection in regards to Qatar’s appalling human rights issues imo.

Yes. Awarding Qatar the World Cup (likely to be played in 122-degree heat, BTW), was sports-washing of the worst sort. Presumably, the bribes were so large as to assuage the consciences of all involved. Had they had consciences in the first place.

Last edited:
It’s here! It’s finally here! Let’s play a game this morning called “can you pick out which Ecuadorians are throwing the game?” Winner gets $7.4 million.

In all seriousness, very excited to have both footballs for the next few weeks. Gonna be a blast

Really, what just happened, and how did they try to explain it away?

Won’t watch a corrupt sporting event held by a corrupt country. Takes value away from an otherwise timeless historical sporting event thats probably only second to the olympics.

Really, what just happened, and how did they try to explain it away?
They ended up showing this crazy simulation where he was technically offsides. VAR technology is crazy now

Qatar looks totally overmatched. Thought they’d put up a little more fight than this, although Ecuador is a really solid team. Looks like the bribe rumors were false.

Won’t watch a corrupt sporting event held by a corrupt country. Takes value away from an otherwise timeless historical sporting event thats probably only second to the olympics.

Don't you hate soccer anyways? Or was that someone else lol

nice start.. I had equador at +150 to win and had them at +225 to get over 2.5 pts in this rd.. I should stop now.

nice start.. I had equador at +150 to win and had them at +225 to get over 2.5 pts in this rd.. I should stop now.
I had the over 8.5 total corners. There were 4 Lol. Not a great start.

They were +150? I’d have put a lot down on both of those betw

Here is your list of the most recent host nations. Long history of great human rights record with these nations.
  • 2006: Germany
  • 2010: South Africa
  • 2014: Brazil
  • 2018: Russia

Last edited:
There will be X million of people, between television, radio and fans in the stands, who are not concerned with Qatar’s human rights, or lack thereof. Don’t forget hundreds of players and complicit national soccer federations.
What if US/Canada/European national teams had boycotted (over human rights, not beer)?
The fact that FIFA could be bribed enough to put it there in the first place should be the biggest concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom