2022 World Cup | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

2022 World Cup

I disagree. While very talented he doesn't do the things Messi does in the middle of the field with loads of defenders around him. We will see what Mbappe can do in 10 years when his pace and freakish athleticism aren't there anymore.

That's not to say he isn't an incredible talent. It's just the skillset required to do what Messi does is underappreciated even for the fanfare he gets.

Yes, Messi could dribble inside a phone booth. He's not that player anymore, but he showed real heart at the end of this game. The one that Lloris saved over the top, before his team's 3rd goal, was also a terrific effort.

Mbappe is more like Thierry Henry, flying down the flank and then cutting in for goals. He's a great player. I prefer him to Neymar.

Last edited:
Yeah for sure. The history of that country and the fact it's still a thing is my issue. Not to mention the pathetic poor display of sportsmanship in this WC.

They are dirty players. Their midfield reminds me of the vintage Athletico Madrid teams from a few years ago. Tough as nails, lots of tactical fouls, lots of playing the refs.

I can't remember a better final!
Holy cow, that was something!

Argentina had the game under control. Bit of a gift, the first penalty. (One of my friends said "The Fix is in."). DeMaria with a great goal.

Then 90 seconds of Mbappe, and zoom, tie game.

The last 20 minutes or so of regulation were nuts, end to end, must have been 5 more chances between the 2 sides. Anybody could have won at least a couple times.

Overtime, first session was "don't make a mistake". Argentina's subs brought life back to their tired midfield who had worked so hard in the first 70 minutes, but couldn't hold on.

Second session of overtime Messi wins it! Until France strike back yet again. Messi hit a blistering shot right before his 2nd goal, too. He had a worthy final game to win his WC.

Emi Martinez adds to his penalty stopping legend, and Argentina walk out winners for Messi. Very poetic.

This would be a really bad day to be Cristiano Ronaldo, wouldn't it? "That was supposed to be MY fairy tale ending."

Last edited:
Yes, Messi could dribble inside a phone booth. He's not that player anymore, but he showed real heart at the end of this game. The one that Lloris saved over the top, before his team's 3rd goal, was also a terrific effort.

Mbappe is more like Thierry Henry, flying down the flank and then cutting in for goals. He's a great player. I prefer him to Neymar.

Agree on him over Neymar. Just not going to ever be in the conversation vs Messi.

I watched from the 110th minute on. What a great game. Argentinia deserved to win, they appeared to be the better team. That Messi is a fantastic player. I'm getting into soccer a bit. My granddaughter is a very good player.

Glad for Messi- the rest of that crew looks like they continued the pathetic display of sportsmanship.

Agree on him over Neymar. Just not going to ever be in the conversation vs Messi.

Probably not, but we've got another dozen years or so to find out. On a career perspective, Mbappe is ahead of him so far.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the World Cup final… there’s genuinely nothing else you could have asked for as a neutral fan of the game. Just unreal moments, drama, intrigue, storylines galore, wow wow wow. Great win for Argentina, Messi cementing himself as the potential greatest ever by adding this win to his resume.

I can't remember a better final!
Holy cow, that was something!

Argentina had the game under control. Bit of a gift, the first penalty. (One of my friends said "The Fix is in."). DeMaria with a great goal.

Then 90 seconds of M'Bappe, and zoom, tie game.

The last 20 minutes or so of regulation were nuts, end to end, must have been 5 more chances between the 2 sides. Anybody could have won at least a couple times.

Overtime, first session was "don't make a mistake". Argentina's subs brought life back to their tired midfield who had worked so hard in the first 70 minutes, but couldn't hold on.

Second session of overtime Messi wins it! Until France strike back yet again. Messi hit a blistering shot right before his 2nd goal, too. He had a worthy final game to win his WC.

Emi Martinez adds to his penalty stopping legend, and Argentina walk out winners for Messi. Very poetic.

This would be a really bad day to be Cristiano Ronaldo, wouldn't it? "That was supposed to be MY fairy tale ending."
My first World cup final was 1978. This is the best I've ever seen. Next best was '86 when West Germany came back late from 2-0 down to Argentina to tie it before Maradona fed Burruchaga for the late winner.

I thought the Nov-Dec time frame did wonders for the quality of play, especially in the latter stages of the tourney. Guys legs are so much fresher and it showed.

I thought this was the first game where France really missed the guys who were injured, especially Pogba and Kante. No way Argentina dominates the middle of the park with those two playing at full strength.

I thought dropping Messi deeper than he normally plays and playing him more centrally was crucial to Argentina's ability to dissect the French midfield though the first 60 minutes.

I also thought that Scaloni was almost France's MVP. Unless Di Maria just physically could not go anymore, replacing him with a left back was so stupid. When are managers going to learn that it is so hard to simply park the bus for 30+ minutes in this day and age.

I was rooting for Messi. he just happened to be surrounded by Argentines.

I think France has now surpassed Brazil as the pre-eminent soccer power. Four finals in the last 24 years and reaching the final with the injuries they had...their depth of talent is unparalled right now.

As far as the Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe debate, Ronaldo transitioned from a winger with blazing pace and 1 v 1 skills to a true number 9. Messi has transitioned to being a combo guard - part scorer, part distributor and facilitator. Right now Mbappe is more of a Ronaldo. We'll see what happens when he starts to lose that explosive pace. Both Ronaldo and Mbappe make their teams better, both because of their individual 1 v 1 brilliance but the amount of attention they receive which opens things up for others. Messi makes his teammates better because he has the individual 1 v 1 brilliance, the amount of attention he receives and the ability to make that absolutely killer pass. For that reason, I put Messi as #1 among those three.

I never saw Pele play in his prime but I continue to think that Maradona is the best ever. I still think that his performance at the 1986 World Cup is the greatest ever, although Messi certainly came close this year. I can only imagine what he would accomplish if he played today rather than in an era where today's straight red cards were common fouls and today's yellows were laughed at as touch fouls.

I really think if France pulled this off that they would get a 3 peat next cup. They have so many good young players.
Always some element of luck..who is injured, who is not playing for their club, who just has a bad game during the knockout stages...just like the NCAA tourney, most talented team does not always win...

Having said all that, I agree that France is currently the nation with the most talent. They made the final missing Benzema, Pogba and Kante. They will likely be the favorites in 26.

That’s a good result right?
I wanted to reply to this because I noted that another poster had replied to you telling you that the point against england was useless when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

Had we lost against England, they would have had 6 points, iran 4, Wales 1 and the US 1.

At that point, qualification to knockout round would have been assured and Southgate may very well have used that to rest all his starters and play his back-ups, like France did against Tunisia.

Wales vs England B team with nothing to play for is very different than Wales vs England A team with everything on the line.

Therefore, that point was incredibly valuable as it meant that england had to play their starters and go all-out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom