2023/2024 Syracusefan Fantasy Basketball | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023/2024 Syracusefan Fantasy Basketball

It's mind-blowing. I just don't understand it...
It is wild. The only thing you need to know if you’re new to fantasy sports is, don’t drop a player that’s above 80% owned, unless it’s mid season and they’ve been in a slump all year or have suffered a season-ending injury.

Patience is the name of the game. That’s why I didn’t want to sell Harden for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: gbo
I have found almost every week that I have 4 to 6 categories that are really close going into Sunday. Was winning them, but last week it finally caught up to me as I loss 6-2 with my losses almost all being close.

Waiting for JA Morant to come back from his suspension. Was not expecting to be in first this early in the year, given that I could not put Morant on my injured list. But its worked out.

As an aside I was not one of the 3 who voted to veto the trade. My perspective is as long is a deal is done in good faith I will not veto something even if it’s perceived to be lopsided. Not all teams and approached are the same.

That being said I value the opinions of those who think differently on the concept which is why I went with the 3 veto rule to cancel a trade.

I’m not going to change it again mid season but what are peoples thoughts on this moving forward into next year? Is a total of 3 effective, ineffective, problematic?
Clearly I would trade almost anyone, and I wouldn’t purposely veto a trade ever. It’s fantasy and not for money let alone big money.

You want to be the Oakland A’s then go for it, perhaps you strike gold and patch together a Rays like team.

If I ever did accidentally veto a trade then the commish has my approval to assume it was from fat fingers on my phone.

Still deciding if I'm warming up to Fantasy basketball. It sucks when two of your best players miss games (Mitchell and Tatum) and you are playing the number one ream and three of his guys play their best games of the season (Brodgan, Hardaway and Wagner). Don't mind when SGA goes off for 40, but Malcolm Brogdan with B2B great games with 6 and 5 three pointers. Is it great roster selection or great luck.

Still deciding if I'm warming up to Fantasy basketball. It sucks when two of your best players miss games (Mitchell and Tatum) and you are playing the number one ream and three of his guys play their best games of the season (Brodgan, Hardaway and Wagner). Don't mind when SGA goes off for 40, but Malcolm Brogdan with B2B great games with 6 and 5 three pointers. Is it great roster selection or great luck.
I know for me it feels like luck. I didn't even know what 9Cat was until after the draft...

There is an element of luck from week to week, but it will balance itself out over 20 weeks. You want variance from week to week, where you have more luck than others, but its certainly not luck over the entire season. Some weeks will go well, others will not have the same breaks, but that will typically balance itself out over time. Injuries and the dreaded GTD/Out category before a player officially gets put on the IL can also mess with things.

As for my being "lucky" this week. I was actually going to post on Thursday evening that I was getting hammered with bad luck regarding short-term injuries this week. But you gave it back on Friday so that factor is pretty balanced now (see my post below). As an aside, going to the Waiver Wire to pick up a C is tough as I had to do on Friday night to pick up Dorian Finney Smith temporarily -- some real scraps there!

Brogdon and Hardaway are up and down players. I certainly got their peak. They have good games, stinkers or in the case of Brogdon get injured. You pick them up off waivers knowing that, and don't bank on them as long term members of your squad and hope you get their good games. I also saw Brogdon was playing on a team with injuries and was playing San Antonio back to back, so it played into my claim last week.

Wagner is a 21/6/4 player this year who is on a mild heater right now. I think its a bit odd to label his recent streak of games as great luck.

Last edited:

Here are the games missed this week due to injury (before guys can go on the injured list) or rest. I just looked at our day to day matchups. I'd say we both got dinged pretty good this week in this regard

Tuesday - Ayton
Wed - Dinwiddie
Thurs - Morant
Thurs - Ayton

Wed - Mitchell
Fri - Tatum
Fri - Horford

I also had to add 2 Centres to my IL late this week, and the available pickups their are not good!

There is an element of luck from week to week, but it will balance itself out over 20 weeks. You want variance from week to week, where you have more luck than others, but its certainly not luck over the entire season. Some weeks will go well, others will not have the same breaks, but that will typically balance itself out over time. Injuries and the dreaded GTD/Out category before a player officially gets put on the IL can also mess with things.

As for my being "lucky" this week. I was actually going to post on Thursday evening that I was getting hammered with bad luck regarding short-term injuries this week. But you gave it back on Friday so that factor is pretty balanced now (see my post below). As an aside, going to the Waiver Wire to pick up a C is tough as I had to do on Friday night to pick up Dorian Finney Smith temporarily -- some real scraps there!

Brogdon and Hardaway are up and down players. I certainly got their peak. They have good games, stinkers or in the case of Brogdon get injured. You pick them up off waivers knowing that, and don't bank on them as long term members of your squad and hope you get their good games. I also saw Brogdon was playing on a team with injuries and was playing San Antonio back to back, so it played into my claim last week.

Wagner is a 21/6/4 player this year who is on a mild heater right now. I think its a bit odd to label his recent streak of games as great luck.
Wagner is having a very good season, however his 32 points, 9 rebounds and 4 steals vs the Knicks the other night were season highs in all three categories. Meanwhile the same night, Brogdan and Hardaway had huge games and my big gun, Tatum, shot 11/31 for his worst shooting night of the year. Woof. 31 shots.

But, it's fun. Learning and watching guys you might not know or normally watch. My guy Daniel Gafford has been pretty consistent on a bad team. And I'm starting to warm up a little bit to Paolo Banchero.

My goal is to make the playoffs. Not really sure how it works, but if my top players can be healthy, then anything can happen.

I've resigned myself to being a league punching bag this year. I've had all kinds of issues with the app so have had issues setting my lineup and making moves.

Add Kuzma to the list of your players peaking. Most 3's in a game this season is four. Today he has five at halftime. Good for you.

I've resigned myself to being a league punching bag this year. I've had all kinds of issues with the app so have had issues setting my lineup and making moves.
What's your team name?

Injuries and rest days are wreaking havoc on my team and I assume others. Blow outs too around the NBA. Silver better hope they start playing more consistently after the Super Bowl as people will be hungry for action.

Being on the west coast I’ll say whoever has Clippers players will do well. They are gelling and playing fun ball.. until one or four of them go down with injuries.

Injuries and rest days are wreaking havoc on my team and I assume others. Blow outs too around the NBA. Silver better hope they start playing more consistently after the Super Bowl as people will be hungry for action.

Being on the west coast I’ll say whoever has Clippers players will do well. They are gelling and playing fun ball.. until one or four of them go down with injuries.
I just saw Steph is sitting tonight. I'm happy since I'm playing you but I feel your pain. They need to get rid of all back to backs. It takes away from the overall fan experience. When I signed up to be a fantasy manager, I didn't expect how much managing I would really need to do. Sometimes you are just left so shorthanded with no options.