2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

and today has back to back inning of home plate drama as well.

What a series this has been We lose a game with 7 innings of perfect ball on two run homer in the 9th, win on a 3 run shot by Stewart, lose on a play at the plate in extra innings, stay in it on a play at the plate in the 11th and win it on a walk-off double in the bottom of that inning.

The only thing better would be to win all four games.

What a series this has been We lose a game with 7 innings of perfect ball on two run homer in the 9th, win on a 3 run shot by Stewart, lose on a play at the plate in extra innings, stay in it on a play at the plate in the 11th and win it on a walk-off double in the bottom of that inning.

The only thing better would be to win all four games.
One thing about this team is that they never give up. That was an impressive come from behind victory.

The word is that the Mets are calling up Christian Scott. He is a big-time prospect has been pitching at Syracuse. I’m a little bummed because I never saw him pitch for the Syracuse Mets.

if the reports are correct, he will be the starting pitcher on Saturday.

It was 3-0 when I turned, became 3-9 in the next three innings so I went out to take a talk and stopped to get an ice cream cone, then walked home. Suddenly it was 7-10 and wound up 8-10. We dig holes but we climb out of them - almost, anyway.

Hopefully Quintana's bad game was an anomaly. They are saying it's because he went 8, (scoreless), in the last game. As Gary Cohen said, "It didn't bother Johnny Vanderveer".

Brett Baty may finally be exhibiting his talents. He's become a good defensive third basis, (which Vientos is not), and he hit two homers and got three hits to get up to .271 an hopefully higher.

Mets offense continues to struggle. They make every pitcher look like Cy Young.

Mets offense continues to struggle. They make every pitcher look like Cy Young.
Agree, it is tough to watch this offense again this year. So many games where we just can’t score.

When McNeil is right, he hits the ball hard all the time. He was unbelievable at that for a couple years. That’s gone now. I’m not sure it’s coming back. His defense is also getting worse and hurt us again last night.

Pete with yet another failure to get a crucial run in with a runner on third and less than two outs. He is struggling greatly to get the ball out of the infield. And has been for weeks. He is completely lost right now. When he gets hot, he can carry the team by himself. But he is cold, it is a problem. If he has to play, he has to be moved lower in the batting order.

He hasn’t been able to hit the high inside fastballs he has been getting and still loves to swing at breaking balls low and/or outside that he cannot hit. I hope he figures out how to adjust soon or it is going to cost him hundreds of millions of dollars.

I wish Vientos was the DH.

Edit: I forgot to comment on Christian Scott, who I thought was extremely impressive in his first start in MLB. Ranks right up there with all the other top prospects the Mets have brought up as starting pitchers. A guy who throws hard and has precision control is a pretty special thing.

I think Scott is going to be a good one. Maybe even a great one.

Last edited:
Agree, it is tough to watch this offense again this year. So many games where we just can’t score.

When McNeil is right, he hits the ball hard all the time. He was unbelievable at that for a couple years. That’s gone now. I’m not sure it’s coming back. His defense is also getting worse and hurt us again last night.

Pete with yet another failure to get a crucial run in with a runner on third and less than two outs. He is struggling greatly to get the ball out of the infield. And has been for weeks. He is completely lost right now. When he gets hot, he can carry the team by himself. But he is cold, it is a problem. If he has to play, he has to be moved lower in the batting order.

He hasn’t been able to hit the high inside fastballs he has been getting and still loves to swing at breaking balls low and/or outside that he cannot hit. I hope he figures out how to adjust soon or it is going to cost him hundreds of millions of dollars.

if I were Cohen, I would be thinking long and hard about what to do with Pete.

if I were Cohen, I would be thinking long and hard about what to do with Pete.
Honestly, this is a tough call and I go back and forth on this. I guess that 's for Stearns to figure out.

Honestly, this is a tough call and I go back and forth on this. I guess that 's for Stearns to figure out.
It would be an easier decision if he played a more valuable position.

It would be an easier decision if he played a more valuable position.
Agree on this. The smart teams do not overpay for 1B. Even if you have a great defensive 1B (and while I have loved watching Pete play with the Mets, he is most definitely not a good defensive 1st), 1B defense doesn’t make a major impact on your team.

Regarding hitting, there are a lot of good hitting 1B out there. Not many (none?) can put up the HRs Pete has been baseball is about more than hitting HRs.

Would the Mets be better off with a goor fielding 1B that hits .280, with 40 doubles, 15 HRs and 100 walks?

Especially if Pete costs $35 million/year and this replacement player costs $20 million/year.

Stearns has to decide how well Pete is going to age, how well he can play under pressure and in the spotlight. In his walk year, we get what should be a very good insight into what 8 more years of Pete Alonso would look like with the Mets.

I hope he figures out things out and does something comparable to what Aaron Judge did last year. That would be awesome.

Agree on this. The smart teams do not overpay for 1B. Even if you have a great defensive 1B (and while I have loved watching Pete play with the Mets, he is most definitely not a good defensive 1st), 1B defense doesn’t make a major impact on your team.

Regarding hitting, there are a lot of good hitting 1B out there. Not many (none?) can put up the HRs Pete has been baseball is about more than hitting HRs.

Would the Mets be better off with a goor fielding 1B that hits .280, with 40 doubles, 15 HRs and 100 walks?

Especially if Pete costs $35 million/year and this replacement player costs $20 million/year.

Stearns has to decide how well Pete is going to age, how well he can play under pressure and in the spotlight. In his walk year, we get what should be a very good insight into what 8 more years of Pete Alonso would look like with the Mets.

I hope he figures out things out and does something comparable to what Aaron Judge did last year. That would be awesome.

The year before we had Pete, 9 different guys played the position for us and hit a total of 16HR while playing 1b. Also, Pete deems like at least a decent defensive 1b. He's made several good plays this past week.

Edit: I forgot to comment on Christian Scott, who I thought was extremely impressive in his first start in MLB. Ranks right up there with all the other top prospects the Mets have brought up as starting pitchers. A guy who throws hard and has precision control is a pretty special thing.

I think Scott is going to be a good one. Maybe even a great one.

I agree that Pete needs to become a more consistent hitter. With his power, it's about how often he can make good contact with the ball, not about how far it goes when he hits it. The home runs will come. He should be capable of Boog Powell-like numbers. I'll settle for Harmon Killebrew. We are getting Dave Kingman II

I don't think having a good defensive 1B is going to impact one's win total much. At 133 wRC+, Alonso is probably somewhere between the fourth and tenth best 1B in the game. I would love to have that for the Yankees over the next seven years, but I would not make it a priority, as there are probably twenty to thirty 1B around who can get me 110 wRC+.

Pete’s power would be hard to make up should he leave. He is just so weak in other areas.

I don’t necessarily agree that strong defensive 1B won’t impact win totals much. Keith Hernandez was an absolute game changer at 1B. Late in close games his fielding intimidated other teams the way he could cover a bunt and throw out the lead runner. This was even more important in playoff baseball. Pete is a far cry from that.

Late in close games his fielding intimidated other teams the way he could cover a bunt and throw out the lead runner.
If teams decided not to sacrifice bunt because of Keith, then he actually helped them make better decisions. ;)

The real issue isn’t Pete… the issue is a lineup can’t afford to have this version of Pete with Marte, McNeil, Lindor, and Nimmo in front of him and no one behind him but Baty.

That Lindor trade is going to age like a gallon of milk sitting outside on a hot summer Texas day.

Pete has 2 more hits the last 2 weeks than I do.

basically had 1 good 3 game stretch in a month

Pete has 2 more hits the last 2 weeks than I do.

basically had 1 good 3 game stretch in a month
The announcers said he has the lowest exit velocity in MLB this year.

I think the last time he hit a ball even somewhat hard, it was a week or so ago. It was a ground ball that was just foul down the third base line.

I bet he is on a record pace for poor performance hitting with runners in scoring position.

Please bench him or at least bat him ninth.

He has to have minor league options left. Send him to Syracuse. We will get him some salt potatoes and get him fixed. He can’t be allowed to destroy the season lIke this any longer.

The real issue isn’t Pete… the issue is a lineup can’t afford to have this version of Pete with Marte, McNeil, Lindor, and Nimmo in front of him and no one behind him but Baty.

That Lindor trade is going to age like a gallon of milk sitting outside on a hot summer Texas day.
Kinda like Bobby Bonilla signing.

I am totally lost watching replays on plays that are pretty obvious and get ruled differently.

just like fb if they are going to get it wrong at least explain why.

I am totally lost watching replays on plays that are pretty obvious and get ruled differently.

just like fb if they are going to get it wrong at least explain why.

Every angle they showed made him look safe. But they also showed that the ump would have had a better angle on it than any camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom