2024 Schedule | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

Looking at who we have left on the schedule to announce, and 9/14 will definitely be a bye week. No remaining teams have that open.

9/7 has Georgia Tech, @BC, or vs UConn as possibilities.
The Red Sox play at home the weekend of 9/7 against the White Sox. Could possibly do a doubleheader that weekend if SU plays at BC or at UConn.

The thursday games are always proceeded by a bye week, Friday is more uncertain
The real issue here is the date of the Pitt game. Agree, it is certain we will have a bye on 10/12.

That is week 7 of a 14 week season (15 for the handful of teams that play on week 0).

That means when trying to determine a date for the second bye, you have to either

a) play the first 6 weeks of the season with no bye, take bye 1 on week 7, play Pitt on week 8 and then fit bye week 2 into the last 6 weeks of the season. Which means best case you play 2 games in a row after Pitt, take a bye and play the last 3 weeks of the season or play 4 games in a row (counting Pitt), take bye 2 on week 12 and play weeks 13 and 14.

In a two bye season, you want to play 4 games, take your first byte, play 4 more games, take your second bye, then play your last 4 games. But you can’t do that with everyone or the conference will have no games in week 5 and week 10.

The teams that play on week 0 get 3 byes so they ideally would play 3 games, take a bye, play 3 games, take a bye, play 3, take a bye and play 3 more. So they could take their byes on weeks 3, 7 and 11,

But someone needs to get stuck taking byes at bad times and we were one of those teams this year. Pitt is as well.

This is why it would have beven so much better had we scheduled Hawaii week 0. We could have limited the damage of getting a short week in week 8 and getting forced to take a bye in week 7,

Bottom line, we need to play a 6 game stretch this season with no byes. And fit 2 byes into half a season.

I would rather play 6 games in a row at the start of the year than take a bye in week 2, It is way too early and does us no good then.

If the ACC wanted to do us a solid, they should schedule the Cal game for 11/30. Then we don’t have to deal with the time zone recovery issue this year. But I think they will want to schedule Cal to play Stanford then. I assume it is a rivalry game that is always played that weekend.

Also a possibility the holy cross game could move up
To September 7th? It looks like they have that date booked with New Hampshire. I guess that could be moved but that seems unlikely.

I don't see us playing BC 9/7. Yes, they are open that weekend but they play FSU on Monday 9/2. No way they will play us short two days of rest. I think BC got boned and will have to take a bye on week 2.

Looking at things closer, it looks like SU and GT are the only ACC teams with no game scheduled for 9/7. They might both get it as a bye but that would be crazy early for a bye for 2 ACC teams, even for the ACC scheduling team. I suspect there is a reason they both kept this weekend open. Pretty sure they will play each other 9/7.

We have all our OCC games now and 9/14 is open. I checked and all the ACC schools we play this year are already booked on that date. This implies we have no one to play and are taking a bye on 9/14. Someone could always reschedule an OOC game late to change this but I feel pretty confident this is one of our bye dates.

99% sure the other bye date is before the Pitt game on 10/19.

More cleanup. I initially had us playing a home game on 10/12, which I think is a no go given that weekend is Yom Kippur. We will very likely to play on the road that weekend. So I made changes accordingly.

Put it all together and this is my latest working copy of what our schedule is going to be.

2024 Schedule

Date Opponent Time/TV Comments
Saturday, August 31st OHIO
Saturday, September 7th GEORGIA TECH SU & GT only ACC school open this week
Saturday, September 14th BYE 1 Usually have a bye before a weekday game
Friday, September 20th STANFORD
Saturday, September 28th HOLY CROSS
Saturday, October 5th at UNLV Replaces the cancelled game at Army
Saturday, October 12th at NC State? Yom Kipper; SU likely on the road
Saturday, October 19th BYE 2 Normally have a bye the week before a weekday game
Thursday, October 24th at Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 2nd VIRGINIA TECH?
Saturday, November 9th MIAMI?
Saturday, November 16th at California?
Saturday, November 23rd UConn? probably YS
Saturday, November 30th at Boston College We usually play BC the final week of the season

Last edited:
To September 7th? It looks like they have that date booked with New Hampshire. I guess that could be moved but that seems unlikely.

I don't see us playing BC 9/7. Yes, they are open that weekend but they play FSU on Monday 9/2. No way they will play us short two days of rest. I think BC got boned and will have to take a bye on week 2.

Looking at things closer, it looks like SU and GT are the only ACC teams with no game scheduled for 9/7. They might both get it as a bye but that would be crazy early for a bye for 2 ACC teams, even for the ACC scheduling team. I suspect there is a reason they both kept this weekend open. Pretty sure they will play each other 9/7.

We have all our OCC games now and 9/14 is open. I checked and all the ACC schools we play this year are already booked on that date. This implies we have no one to play and are taking a bye on 9/14. Someone could always reschedule an OOC game late to change this but I feel pretty confident this is one of our bye dates.

More cleanup. I initially had us playing a home game on 10/12, which I think is a no go given that weekend is Yom Kippur. We will very likely to play on the road that weekend. So I made changes accordingly.

Put it all together and this is my latest working copy of what our schedule is going to be.

2024 Schedule

Saturday, August 31stOHIO
Saturday, September 7thGEORGIA TECHSU & GT only ACC school open this week
Saturday, September 14thBYE 1Usually have a bye before a weekday game
Friday, September 20thSTANFORD
Saturday, September 28thHOLY CROSS
Saturday, October 5that UNLVReplaces the cancelled game at Army
Saturday, October 12that NC State?Yom Kipper; SU likely on the road
Saturday, October 19thBYE 2Normally have a bye the week before a weekday game
Thursday, October 24that Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 2ndVIRGINIA TECH?
Saturday, November 9thMIAMI?
Saturday, November 16that California?
Saturday, November 23rdUConn?probably YS
Saturday, November 30that Boston CollegeWe usually play BC the final week of the season
Was thinking the 14th for holy cross.At NC state in October depends when their fair is as NC state is away or off that week

Was thinking the 14th for holy cross.At NC state in October depends when their fair is as NC state is away or off that week
Maybe.

Holy Cross plays at Bryant on 9/14 so that would need to be rescheduled. I checked and they do have 9/28 open. So this could be done, and if it was, we could get a bye on 9/28 instead, would be awesome.

It would be great if Holy Cross and Bryant would work with us on this. I suspect Bryant might not be excited as they only have one bye and it would not be ideal to take it a week into the season.

The North Carolina State Fair is held 10/17-10/27 this year so the date I have should be good.

Maybe.

Holy Cross plays at Bryant on 9/14 so that would need to be rescheduled. I checked and they do have 9/28 open. So this could be done, and if it was, we could get a bye on 9/28 instead, would be awesome.

It would be great if Holy Cross and Bryant would work with us on this. I suspect Bryant might not be excited as they only have one bye and it would not be ideal to take it a week into the season.

The North Carolina State Fair is held 10/17-10/27 this year so the date I have should be good.
Offer to play Bryant at the Dome in a future year.

2024 Schedule

Saturday, August 31stOHIO
Saturday, September 7thGEORGIA TECHSU & GT only ACC school open this week
Saturday, September 14thBYE 1Usually have a bye before a weekday game
Friday, September 20thSTANFORD
Saturday, September 28thHOLY CROSS
Saturday, October 5that UNLVReplaces the cancelled game at Army
Saturday, October 12that NC State?Yom Kipper; SU likely on the road
Saturday, October 19thBYE 2Normally have a bye the week before a weekday game
Thursday, October 24that Pittsburgh
Saturday, November 2ndVIRGINIA TECH?
Saturday, November 9thMIAMI?
Saturday, November 16that California?
Saturday, November 23rdUConn?probably YS
Saturday, November 30that Boston CollegeWe usually play BC the final week of the season

That looks like this past seasons schedule. 4 home games in September, 0 in October.

Sorry if it’s been said 100 times, is there a concrete time it’s released today?

I go to Vegas 3x a year, so I guess one of them will have to be the weekend of October 5. And just booked a room at Cosmo to seal the deal.

Edit: And just went all in with the flight booked as well.

This is the game I was hoping we'd schedule but never thought we would. Excited to see a lot of Orange in Vegas that weekend.

Last edited:
Join us in Raleigh, October 17-27, 2024, for the 156th N.C. State Fair!

Edit: saw Tomcat covered that

We could play them on Oct 14th

Last edited:
I go to Vegas 3x a year, so I guess one of them will have to be the weekend of October 5.
The calendar sacrifices you make are inspiring. LoL

I just hope UNLV and NCSt aren't back to back...that'll be a tough sell on the domestic front. However, @NCSt makes sense that week.

God I hope not

Was hoping to head to this game but if it’s state fair time, likely knocks me out

That’s a Monday

Based on how the great new York state fair is I can only imagine the epic people watching in North Carolina. Trashtastic

Oh I am sure it was great.

Was planning to take my RV down. With the state fair grounds across the street from the stadium, they allow RV parking right there

But with the state fair there, no way that’s happening

That looks like this past seasons schedule. 4 home games in September, 0 in October.
I agree. Note that this is not the schedule I want. This is the schedule I think we end up with.

Part of the problem is we always play a BCS team and that game is always at home and is always scheduled in September.

I am not a Jewish scholar but I think we always request an away game for Yom Kippur weekend. And it seems it falls in October every year or almost every year.

And we have been making a habit of only playing 6 home games, which is not scheduling for success or scheduling to please the season ticket holders.

Our scheduling team has failed again. I can't blame them for Army deciding to join the AAC and canceling our game. I can blame them for not anticipating this and having a good backup plan. I think we were really slow to react compared to others that were left standing by Army. Very very disappointing. Even more so if the UNLV game is a one off and we don't get a home game from them as part of this deal (like Army had).

I don't understand why we had the Hawaii game at home on week 0 as an option and chose to go in another direction. Maybe with the seating renovations, it was decided they just couldn't lose another week to get the job done? That would be bad but I could at least understand it. The only other reason I could see to not schedule Hawaii week 0 is that they asked for a lot of money to defray travel costs and we decided it was too expensive.

But when you are getting so much revenue from football, a few hundred thousand dollars is, IMHO, not a big deal. The people that do the football scheduling need to make sure we play 7 home games every season and that we schedule things so we have our byes at ideal times to position our team to be as successful as possible.

We failed the coaches and the players with this schedule. We failed our season ticket holders.

Why can't we hire a competent person for scheduling and address this long standing issue?

The calendar sacrifices you make are inspiring. LoL

I just hope UNLV and NCSt aren't back to back...that'll be a tough sell on the domestic front. However, @NCSt makes sense that week.
This throws a wrench in my usual yearly vacation plans. March, June/July and August are Vegas. March and June are already booked and now I guess October since I did the flight as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom