2024 Schedule | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

As long as we have had Homecoming games at night in the past and the timing for that worked out well, I suspect that we will have a home game on 10/12 and it will be a night game.

If this happens, it is really unlikely to be Virginia Tech (they play on a weekday the following week so will almost surely have a bye on 10/12).

So the opponent would almost surely be Miami. That should drive some ticket sales.

And I could see ESPN agreeing to a night game for Syracuse vs Miami right now. Both teams are expected to be good and it should draw good ratings.
We always avoid homecoming on Yom Kippur for this same reason.

Not sure if I want NYNY or Mandalay Bay.

Will book soon though the JetBlue directs are good and I can watch football on the outbound.

Vegas lost its appeal when legal sports gambling came east no more extended trips but a 2-3 night short one will be great.

Consider Delano if you go with Mandalay. It's the best value on the strip. Mandalay is the most undervalued property. It would be on the level of Aria/Cosmo/Bellagio in MGM's hierarchy if it was in a better location.

The sun sets October 12th in Syracuse at 6:26 pm.

So if we have a home game, I would expect it to be a night game.

Moontan, llandz or others that follow Homecoming closely, do we have Homecoming games at night often?

Is this something Syracuse likes to do?
Syracuse will definitely not have homecoming that weekend. They could do a night game if they absolutely have to. It ends an hour past sunset technically. Jewish fans that are very observant still would not be able to break the fast and get to a game. I don't think they would get a lot of push back for an away game though.

We always avoid homecoming on Yom Kippur for this same reason.
It's more than avoid it. One year about 4 years ago they had to change it because it started Sunday evening and people who came from further away could not get home in time. They just will not have it that weekend, and if they plan it they will get enough feedback that they will change it.

Syracuse will definitely not have homecoming that weekend. They could do a night game if they absolutely have to. It ends an hour past sunset technically. Jewish fans that are very observant still would not be able to break the fast and get to a game. I don't think they would get a lot of push back for an away game though.
Thank you for this info.

I will stand by what I have then for the schedule.

I hope I am wrong.

4 home games in September.

3 away games in October.

3 home games, 2 away games in November.

End the season playing 6 straight weeks.

We are setting ourselves up for another epic collapse. Hopefully we have a bit better luck with injuries and Coach Fran continues to address weaknesses in the quality and depth of the talent on the roster.

Last edited:
Am I the only one stoked for an extra excuse to make a trip to Vegas? I'm not a huge gambler, but Vegas is one of the best food and cigar lounge towns in the world. Sign me up!
As we get closer I will be happy to do little Strip restaurant guide. I've spent I think the October trip will be my 30th lifetime trip to Vegas.

Just for historical purposes, the very first game in the Dome in the fall of 1980, was originally scheduled for a Saturday afternoon which was Yom Kippur. Moved to an 8PM kick-off. I was living in The Castle (before it became the now famous Castle Court). We broke fast at 5:30, tapped the keg at 5:45!

Consider Delano if you go with Mandalay. It's the best value on the strip. Mandalay is the most undervalued property. It would be on the level of Aria/Cosmo/Bellagio in MGM's hierarchy if it was in a better location.

I stayed at the Delano when I went out there for the ND game in 2022 (I didn't go to the game, but friends did. I went to the pool and drank $50 buckets of beer like a responsible adult). It was great and obviously super convenient to get to the stadium. Plus, with the tram stop right at Mandalay, it made getting to the busier part of the strip fairly easy.

Just for historical purposes, the very first game in the Dome in the fall of 1980, was originally scheduled for a Saturday afternoon which was Yom Kippur. Moved to an 8PM kick-off. I was living in The Castle (before it became the now famous Castle Court). We broke fast at 5:30, tapped the keg at 5:45!
I too was at that first game in the Dome. I was living in the Washington, D.C. area but was in Syracuse to observe Yom Kippur with my parents who lived in Syracuse. We stayed to the end of the Yom Kippur service, went to a relative's house for a very quick break fast, and someone drove us to campus. I think we arrived at the game in the middle of the first quarter. Interesting footnote: the crowd for that game was the largest in Dome history: 50,564. And Syracuse beat Miami (Ohio) 36-24. I've never forgotten the score of that game. (Other teams we played that year were Ohio St., Northwestern, Kansas, Temple, Penn St., Rutgers, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Navy, and Boston College.)

I'm going to say a lot has changed since 1980. Diversity being at the forefront of many decisions. I think they will consult with Hillel on any decision so that they are covered.

To further add, this past season they had a game on the 2nd night of Rosh Hashanah. Many Jewish people celebrate 2 days and some only one day. In Syracuse the holiday was over, but here in AZ they planned a game watch and we had many who were upset as it was still in the middle of the holiday.

We are setting ourselves up for another epic collapse. Hopefully we have a bit better luck with injuries and Coach Fran continues to address weaknesses in the quality and depth of the talent on the roster.
Enthusiasm from any hot start at home in September will be dampened by memories of similar runs that fizzled out in recent years. Dropping an early one at home will cause panic when looking at the H/A mix going forward.

Possible bright side is that promising new talent that may not quite be ready at the start of the season could be up to speed to step in when the inevitable injuries begin.

Are we getting a return game from UNLV? Kind of embarrassing if we don’t and they’d be a good early season opponent a future year.

Are we getting a return game from UNLV? Kind of embarrassing if we don’t and they’d be a good early season opponent a future year.
When the game in Vegas vs Army for 2024 was announced, it was also announced that UNLV would play Army in a game at West Point on October 7th, 2028.

There is no game listed for 2028 between Syracuse and UNLV on the Syracuse or UNLV sites. Not was it referenced as part of the release announcing the 2024 UNLV-Syracuse game.

That seems to indicate there will be no return game in Syracuse. Sigh.

When the game in Vegas vs Army for 2024 was announced, it was also announced that UNLV would play Army in a game at West Point on October 7th, 2028.

There is no game listed for 2028 between Syracuse and UNLV on the Syracuse or UNLV sites. Not was it referenced as part of the release announcing the 2024 UNLV-Syracuse game.

That seems to indicate there will be no return game in Syracuse. Sigh.
Yikes that is pathetic if our AD can’t replace their home and home since both schools are in the same boat.

Yikes that is pathetic if our AD can’t replace their home and home since both schools are in the same boat.
A lot of schools were in the same boat but SU got the worst of it. How does that happen?

Aug. 31 Ohio
Sept. 7 Georgia Tech *
Sept. 14 OPEN
Sept. 20 Stanford * (Fri.)
Sept. 28 Holy Cross
Oct. 5 at UNLV
Oct. 12 at NC State *
Oct. 19 OPEN
Oct. 24 at Pitt * (Thur.)
Nov. 2 Virginia Tech *
Nov. 9 at Boston College *
Nov. 16 at Cal *
Nov. 23 UConn
Nov. 30 Miami *

SU's staring at 4+ straight seasons of only 6 home games, it's not surprising. It's embarrassing that this continually happens and yet Frazier remains in charge of scheduling.
He’s been so bad for years i don’t understand how he still is allowed to do this. UNLV is a no win situation. A game you’re supposed to win, get no credit if you do, but if you lose it’s an awful look.

Also, since we sold the Pitt game last year, I thought this would be the year we get 7 home games. Nope.

Finally, how do you have such a soft OOC schedule this year, but 2025 is loaded? There was no way we could have worked something with ND to move 2025’s game to this year once we lost Army. We shouldn’t be scheduling ND when you have a kickoff game vs Tennessee anyways. This is scheduling 101 type of stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom