2024 Schedule | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

2024 Schedule

I get the angst over relocation of the student section, but there is a reason for needing more room for students. Syracuse had an issue with retaining student season ticket holders. Freshman participation was very good but the percentage that renewed dropped precipitously each year from sophomore to senior years. To combat this trend they introduced a 4 year student ticket plan in 2021. Basically you paid for all four years up front and the fourth is free. That helped solve the issue but caused the need for more space. Students attendance, led by Otto's Army has been growing steadily and tickets have sold out the last two years. In many cases it was freshmen and incoming transfers that were initially locked out. They have been adding 500 student seats each year to help.

Second, moving students 100% to the end zone opens up two sections of prime lower bowl sideline seats that command a much higher price point than end zone. Combined with the reduction of the number of seats - around 20% in the lower bowl - this required a need to dedicate more real estate to that constituency.

All makes sense. Tough on those affected, but a sound solution.
Are we sure the students want to sit in the endzone? Can't see half the field.

I'm not sure I follow. The new student section is still split up between the 100 level and the 300 level. How is that any different in that regard? They are still split up, only in worse seats.
I don't want to speak for the students on this but I suspect this is what they are thinking:

They are getting a whole end zone. I believe right now they have 2 sections on the lower level. They will get significantly more seats together on the lower level.

And the sections they get on the 300 level will all be together. Some students were sitting in the northwest corner and some in the southwest corner.

And they will be sitting on the far eastern end of the stadium. Where the student entrance has been for decades.

This is also the end of the stadium where the stadium will be directly connected to the Barnes Center, which is a major place the students hang out. They get go directly to and from these two locations and be right by their seats.

It should be noted that the students are represented by Otto's Army and that is the group that pushed for this. I assume they worked with them and made sure this was what most of the students wanted.

I don't want to speak for the students on this but I suspect this is what they are thinking:

They are getting a whole end zone. I believe right now they have 2 sections on the lower level. They will get significantly more seats together on the lower level.

And the sections they get on the 300 level will all be together. Some students were sitting in the northwest corner and some in the southwest corner.

And they will be sitting on the far eastern end of the stadium. Where the student entrance has been for decades.

This is also the end of the stadium where the stadium will be directly connected to the Barnes Center, which is a major place the students hang out. They get go directly to and from these two locations and be right by their seats.

Interesting on the Barnes Center connection. For some reason I envisioned that being like a spot for general fans to congregate, but I suppose that wont' be the case if it's basically all student seating over there.

I just hope that end zone can be partially tarped off somewhat when it is inevitably empty, particularly in down years. Not going to look good on TV with FG kicks.

Not a knock on Otto’s Army, they have been great. But all of those seats, consistently, is a big ask.

I would have kept all the student sections as bench seats. Blue...with backs possibly. I realize some of these will become expensive seats for hoops. Use Orange Cushions for hoops. BB is a 2 hrs event vs 3+ hrs for FB. It won't be that bad.

I understand what you're saying, but didn't the students have a 300 level section before this move? I can only remember seeing that section full once, maybe twice over the last couple of years. I don't see how that lines up with tickets being sold out, unless there are just a large number of no shows each game. Couldn't they have just expanded their 300 level seats across that endzone, since they were already allotted a section over there? Full disclosure, I wouldn't really care as much if I hadn't been displaced.
Student seating is general admission. The number of students in the rows of the lower bowl was significantly more than the numbered seats. Not sure if that will be better policed with individual seats - or if it should be - but that’s one reason for the vacant seats in the upper deck.
And the net is that if the seats have been sold, but not used - there is no vehicle to resell student seats to my knowledge. I believe the student seats did wrap into that end zone in both decks. And with the movement of students from the goal line to the 20 on the Syracuse sideline combined with a roughly 20% reduction in the number of seats in the lower bowl the entire end zone in both levels is required. Could have stayed in the end zone they had last season but, as I understand it, there are significant logistical advantages to flip to the opposite end.

Apologies for my post starting this discussion being posted in the schedule thread. Meant to post in the seating thread.

I would have kept all the student sections as bench seats. Blue...with backs possibly. I realize some of these will become expensive seats for hoops. Use Orange Cushions for hoops. BB is a 2 hrs event vs 3+ hrs for FB. It won't be that bad.
Sorry, but diminishing the quality of those seats for 6-7 events a year makes zero sense to me. If this were football only venue I would be all in. But the Dome hosts over 60 events a year,

Interesting on the Barnes Center connection. For some reason I envisioned that being like a spot for general fans to congregate, but I suppose that wont' be the case if it's basically all student seating over there.
I don't thing the plan is to make the Miron Victory Court a place reserved only for students but I agree, having it attached to the Barnes Center is going to drive a lot of traffic from students.

The recent chairback seating announcement from SUAD mentioned that the Miron Victory Court is part of this initiative. I wonder if it is expected it will be ready for the start of the 2024 football season?

The latest phase of renovations also includes the construction of Miron Victory Court, a pedestrian plaza physically connecting the Barnes Center at the Arch to the JMA Wireless Dome.

Makes it an even harder pill to swallow for people who are displaced already along with the rat race that is to fight everyone else trying to find new seats

I do recognize that this is the time to move the student section if you’re going to move it.

But the reality of the situation is, where you like it or not, it’s a hard pill to swallow for people who are losing their seats that they have purposefully chosen because of a variety of factors and have chose to sit there for years.

And knowing that not only now are you going against everyone who has been displaced by the student section move, but also everyone else in the dome is a very scary thought.
Lol let's call the "variety of factors" what it is. It's that they were $100 tickets.

And let's not pretend that the locals haven't been against the students forever. I remember posts back on the scout board complaining about the same things that get complained about now. Put a winning product on the field, and students AND locals will stay in their seats for the entire game.

I just hope that end zone can be partially tarped off somewhat when it is inevitably empty, particularly in down years. Not going to look good on TV with FG kicks.

Not a knock on Otto’s Army, they have been great. But all of those seats, consistently, is a big ask.
Why are you consistently coming at the students like they're the only consistently unfilled section in the dome?

There’s only so many open weeks. And SU switched UConn to be a home game to satisfy the people who were clamoring for 7 home games.

I swear SU can never win with some of you folks. Maybe they’ll play a game in your backyard someday.
Yep traded the army game for a destination away game and added a 7th home game without it being a fcs and people are still complaining

It’s ridiculous

Sorry, but diminishing the quality of those seats for 6-7 events a year makes zero sense to me. If this were football only venue I would be all in. But the Dome hosts over 60 events a year,
Those seats aren't used in Lacrosse. Concerts...not sure if those make much of a difference. I see 15 or so hoops games for Men as biggest factor. Maybe the women too but they don't fill the place.

Lol let's call the "variety of factors" what it is. It's that they were $100 tickets.

And let's not pretend that the locals haven't been against the students forever. I remember posts back on the scout board complaining about the same things that get complained about now. Put a winning product on the field, and students AND locals will stay in their seats for the entire game.
Really hate to see anyone putting locals and students against each other.. every college fanbase needs both. I don’t think anyone on here is “against” the students, people are just upset about having to be moved.

Honestly, I think you seem to be salty towards locals judging by some of your posts. Just my two cents.

Yep traded the army game for a destination away game and added a 7th home game without it being a fcs and people are still complaining

It’s ridiculous
I'm waiting to hear the total situation but doing a 2 for 3 with UConn shouldn't happen. I'm fine with a 2 for 2.

UNLV doesn't bother me as much...kinda like doing a one off at Hawaii

I'm interested in how UNLV will swing a one off financially. I still think there might be a return game getting hammered out.

They have us playing at ND in back-to-back years, 25 and 26.

Hopefully that gets adjusted.
I could see one of those games being "adjusted" to an SU home game...

To be played at Yankee Stadium or the Meadowlands...

In exchange for adding a future replacement game at ND.

If the students were filling the lower bowl which they were and spilling up to the upper bowl which they were a few games a yr and you then remove 20% of the seats then that spill over is going to happen more often.

One question is how many seats were in the lower bowl before vs now

because the band is in the same situation of filling up more seats than before when they could squeeze in.

the students may not fill the upper endzone but it wont look nearly the same with blue seats as it did with silver benches even if half full.

is the band going to be mostly using the lower bowl now anyway?

Makes it an even harder pill to swallow for people who are displaced already along with the rat race that is to fight everyone else trying to find new seats

I do recognize that this is the time to move the student section if you’re going to move it.

But the reality of the situation is, where you like it or not, it’s a hard pill to swallow for people who are losing their seats that they have purposefully chosen because of a variety of factors and have chose to sit there for years.

And knowing that not only now are you going against everyone who has been displaced by the student section move, but also everyone else in the dome is a very scary thought.
They aren’t their seats.

Why are you consistently coming at the students like they're the only consistently unfilled section in the dome?
I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Those seats aren't used in Lacrosse. Concerts...not sure if those make much of a difference. I see 15 or so hoops games for Men as biggest factor. Maybe the women too but they don't fill the place.

100% non starter in the AD's office.

I get the angst over relocation of the student section, but there is a reason for needing more room for students. Syracuse had an issue with retaining student season ticket holders. Freshman participation was very good but the percentage that renewed dropped precipitously each year from sophomore to senior years. To combat this trend they introduced a 4 year student ticket plan in 2021. Basically you paid for all four years up front and the fourth is free. That helped solve the issue but caused the need for more space. Students attendance, led by Otto's Army has been growing steadily and tickets have sold out the last two years. In many cases it was freshmen and incoming transfers that were initially locked out. They have been adding 500 student seats each year to help.

Second, moving students 100% to the end zone opens up two sections of prime lower bowl sideline seats that command a much higher price point than end zone. Combined with the reduction of the number of seats - around 20% in the lower bowl - this required a need to dedicate more real estate to that constituency.

All makes sense. Tough on those affected, but a sound solution.

My seats are affected by the student section being moved (I was in 327/328 the last two seasons). Personally doesn't bother me as I've wanted to make a switch to the lower bowl anyway. Plus, I feel like most student sections are in the end zones at other schools. Really excited to see what the student section can look like with this move

If they just used the corners then there would never have been a conflict and benches could have been kept.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom