44 IS RESTORED | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

44 IS RESTORED

Gross had no interest in bringing it back because it would be admitting he made a mistake. Under his watch it would have come back only if he was forced too.

You think Gross would rather keep it retired than let HCSS offer it to an elite RB recruit?

You think Gross would rather keep it retired than let HCSS offer it to an elite RB recruit?
It's the real reason that he stepped down.

Gross had no interest in bringing it back because it would be admitting he made a mistake. Under his watch it would have come back only if he was forced too.

Based on Gross' comments I have read in the various "44" articles, I totally get that impression also. He was still being pretty hard headed about it even in the past couple months if I remember correctly.

That's a reason why he needs to be given the number, Robert understands, and respects the tradition of the great players who went before him. Bringing the program back to the place that it was when, Jim, Ernie,and Floyd were here is important to him.

He could kick-start it but I still want to use #44 in the recruiting of every running back with each of them knowing that they could earn the #44, instead of giving it to one guy and closing it down for anyone else until he leaves.

The answer is yes of course he would because admitting a mistake that was long time criticized wasn't ever his style." I have a PHD and from USC. How could I be wrong?"

That might be the most pointless "clarification" I've ever read.

Really? It'll only be used for special players? You don't say! I thought they were gonna slap it on some fourth string long snapper next year!

OrangeXtreme said:

Just when I thought Cam McPherson might get the number this year.

What was I thinking?

"That 4 should go first and that 4 is second." "Nah, the second 4 is the one that goes first and the first 4 goes second." "Does it matter 4 is 4?" (Same 2 guys that screwed up Bouie and Ishmael) Didn't know that Lloyd and Harry worked uniforms at SU.

Last edited:
Great PR yesterday...so let's release a ludicrously stupid "clarification" today that no one needed, since it was implied, to just confuse the hell out of everyone.

Nice job, SU.

Exactly my thoughts! It's hard to build momentum and excitement off a 3-9 season. But with the Washington signing and this announcement, we have some! Don't try to kill it - just ride it for crying out loud!

"Special" players can gain admittance to Syracuse? Thought participation in the "Special" Olympics made you ineligible by the NCAA.

Frozen said:
yes of course

LOL again typical Syracuse take what should have been a slam dunk announcement/situation and we find a way away to F it up. Unbelievable.

MadNY3 said:
The GRob curse ...is now giving away to The Ginsante Gag. The University retreats from yesterday's announcement a bit. Good gravy, Charlie Brown.

The freaking SU football Twitter account tweeted "It's back". What needed clarifying?!

What a total clown show.

It makes you wonder why anyone should bother supporting this athletic department.

Incompetence abounds.

jekelish said:
Great PR yesterday...so let's release a ludicrously stupid "clarification" today that no one needed, since it was implied, to just confuse the hell out of everyone. Nice job, SU.

This is where the absence of real leadership is felt. Sala is a great guy and good at what he does - but isn't an AD. Gross was tight and controlled with the media - but lacked authenticity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom