6 Wins... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

6 Wins...

I think Mink is low balling it.

Clemson is a lot higher than 5%. I don't think that we will win but they remind me a lot of 2014 FSU. They have played a lot of close games but somehow win it at the end. Plus there is the let down factor after playing (or losing to) FSU. I expect us to give them a scare, but they win it late. Thus a few breaks go our way and we could win it, which is a lot higher than 5%.

We are better than NC State. I would give it 60% to SU which is higher than his 50%.

FSU has been all over the place this year. I could see them beating Clemson for sure this week. But they have been wildly up and down even within the same game. Giving us only a 10% chance at winning is an absolute joke.

On paper I think Pitt is a great matchup for us. Giving SU a 45% chance is more than fair.

IMO we have about a 25% realistic chance of getting to 6-6 which is slightly higher than Connelly's 22.5% number.

I agree

Clemson's A game we cant touch. But they have brought the C+ or B- game more often than a A game this year. I dont think we have had an A game on offense yet since we keep leaving so many points on the table. No one besides Mrs Hurricane has really shut us down, we have stopped our selves, growth has been shown every week, 2 more week may show even more.

if we get the offense cranking we could beat teams in a shoot out.

I dont think NC st is as good as VT so why would we have less than a 50/50 shot at that game?

guys, Syracuse will not win @Death Valley.

and that's fine.

lets just put 25+ points on the board and call it a day.

we got 3 games to find 2 Wins.

im ok with people delusionally thinking we can beat fla st.

im game for that.

but, beating nc st at home SHOULD be everyones priority and expectation.

lose that, and all you chicken littles can have the run of the place here for a bit...before the sane folk come back in and start cleaning up like Negan.

KaiserUEO said:
guys, Syracuse will not win @Death Valley. and that's fine. lets just put 25+ points on the board and call it a day. we got 3 games to find 2 Wins. im ok with people delusionally thinking we can beat fla st. im game for that. but, beating nc st at home SHOULD be everyones priority and expectation. lose that, and all you chicken littles can have the run of the place here for a bit...before the sane folk come back in and start cleaning up like Negan.

Yea clemson isnt happening. I hope to hell by some miracle it does but it isnt. Nc state is THE game. Need to win that one. Critical to everything we all hope for. Bowl bid, really turning the corner, etc.

Then we focus on Pitt.

guys, Syracuse will not win @Death Valley.

and that's fine.

lets just put 25+ points on the board and call it a day.

we got 3 games to find 2 Wins.

im ok with people delusionally thinking we can beat fla st.

im game for that.

but, beating nc st at home SHOULD be everyones priority and expectation.

lose that, and all you chicken littles can have the run of the place here for a bit...before the sane folk come back in and start cleaning up like Negan.
we realistically only need one win

You are clearly using logic and the transitive property in football which never translates.

We were underdogs at BC FFS, they along with Rutgers are the 2 worst FBS programs EVER. But they thought one of them was better than us. You really think that Vegas is going to favor us over a team that went toe to toe with Clemson for 4 quarters.

You do realize that we were only favored when we played Colgate right?

It's about public perception, we won't be favored for the remainder of this year. Period.

I think Vegas was counting on the weather to undo us like vs Wake.

Side note, found this on the same site: The 4 main schools of spread offense

Finally there's the Art Briles school of offense that I call "the veer and shoot." The Air Raid followed the idea of "what if we designed an offense to be phenomenal at the passing game and milked it for all it's worth?" The Briles veer and shoot takes the idea of a power run/play-action spread offense to its logical extremes.

The WR splits make for intense spacing, the passing game focuses on attacking deep or wide with screens and vertical routes, and the run game is filled with down blocking angles and two-back lead runs. Even the personnel are chosen for their extremes, veer and shoot teams target the biggest OL and the fastest WRs they can find so that teams are really punished for failing to use numbers to stop either the passing game or the runs.

we realistically only need one win
why? Just because some 5 win teams may possibly end up in a bowl game doesn't mean syracuse somehow vaults to the top of the list of 5-7 teams eligible for a bowl. For one, nobody knows how many teams will be bowl eligible at the end of the season, and any 6-6 team must be selected before a 5-7 team. Then, even if there are slots, the 5-7 teams are arranged in order of APR score and are slotted into bowl openings based on APR ranking. Anyone have any idea what Syracuse's APR score looks like?

The team needs to find 6 wins to feel good about making a bowl. It is possible with 5 wins, but not something to count on.

...which is precisely why the WF game was such a missed opportunity. Freaking hurricane timing...

If we played them this week in normal conditions, I would bet good money on us winning.

If we played them this week in normal conditions, I would bet good money on us winning.

WF is improved, but qualitatively they are the same type of team as UConn and BC. Namely, teams that we can outgain and outscore.

If we'd played them in normal conditions, I think we beat them 9 out of 10 times, especially with the defense showing improvement. I said that the week of the WF loss, I believed it then, and I believe it now.

Playing in those kind of conditions was worst case scenario for us, and played right into a ball control / running team's hands, unfortunately.

Freaking Pitt man....

2-12 against them over the past 14 years. I almost think we have a better chance at the FSU upset. Not really but Pitt is a serious thorn in our side since P left. P had those buttheads on lockdown.

Freaking Pitt man...

2-12 against them over the past 14 years. I almost think we have a better chance at the FSU upset. Not really but Pitt is a serious thorn in our side since P left. P had those buttheads on lockdown.
Four guaranteed wins every year - Pitt, BC, Temple, Rutgers (that's right, young fans: Buttgers used to be called 'Rutgers').

Side note, found this on the same site: The 4 main schools of spread offense

Finally there's the Art Briles school of offense that I call "the veer and shoot." The Air Raid followed the idea of "what if we designed an offense to be phenomenal at the passing game and milked it for all it's worth?" The Briles veer and shoot takes the idea of a power run/play-action spread offense to its logical extremes.

The WR splits make for intense spacing, the passing game focuses on attacking deep or wide with screens and vertical routes, and the run game is filled with down blocking angles and two-back lead runs. Even the personnel are chosen for their extremes, veer and shoot teams target the biggest OL and the fastest WRs they can find so that teams are really punished for failing to use numbers to stop either the passing game or the runs.
I have always loved the air raid because I thought it was too hard to find true dual threat QBs. My attitude was that it wasn't worth chasing that unicorn. The air raid showed the obvious fact that it's easier to move the ball when big giant fat monsters are far away from you.

What Baylor and Bowling Green has taught me is that you don't really need dual threats to still be effective with QB runs - the offense spreads the field so much that you can pick up enough easy yards with (hat tip) fat pirates or guys like Florence and Petty. Johnson had 10 10+ yard runs last year and 3 games with 40+ yards. The offense makes it so easy that you don't need a great runner if he has a good arm and you don't need a great throw if he can run. Just be good at something and adequate at both.

I love the simplicity of this offense. Just getting everyone the hell out of the way and tossing it up to your best WR is so simple

I like the discussion of TEs in that link. If you get a Gronk, adapt the offense a little. But don't depend on TEs. College players can't be that versatile, not enough time.

I think Mink is low balling it.

Clemson is a lot higher than 5%. I don't think that we will win but they remind me a lot of 2014 FSU. They have played a lot of close games but somehow win it at the end. Plus there is the let down factor after playing (or losing to) FSU. I expect us to give them a scare, but they win it late. Thus a few breaks go our way and we could win it, which is a lot higher than 5%.

We are better than NC State. I would give it 60% to SU which is higher than his 50%.

FSU has been all over the place this year. I could see them beating Clemson for sure this week. But they have been wildly up and down even within the same game. Giving us only a 10% chance at winning is an absolute joke.

On paper I think Pitt is a great matchup for us. Giving SU a 45% chance is more than fair.

IMO we have about a 25% realistic chance of getting to 6-6 which is slightly higher than Connelly's 22.5% number.

I can't quibble with 3 of the 4 but we most certainly have a better than 10% chance of beating FSU at home. Did he forget about our home win against a good Tech team just 10 days ago?

Clemson ain't happening, I think we all know that. That game is more about us showing we can move the ball against good competition (which we have all year save the mess in Winston Salem).

The back to back NC State and FSU games at the Dome are just gigantic. An NC State win sets up the FSU game as a home game to get to bowl eligibility. That game would have incredible buzz, the most since atleast the Marrone era.

And seeing that we haven't won at Pitt in forever, I think we'll probably fall short there. But with their pass D, I don't see any reason we can't give them a game.

I have always loved the air raid because I thought it was too hard to find true dual threat QBs. My attitude was that it wasn't worth chasing that unicorn. The air raid showed the obvious fact that it's easier to move the ball when big giant fat monsters are far away from you.

What Baylor and Bowling Green has taught me is that you don't really need dual threats to still be effective with QB runs - the offense spreads the field so much that you can pick up enough easy yards with (hat tip) fat pirates or guys like Florence and Petty. Johnson had 10 10+ yard runs last year and 3 games with 40+ yards. The offense makes it so easy that you don't need a great runner if he has a good arm and you don't need a great throw if he can run. Just be good at something and adequate at both.

I love the simplicity of this offense. Just getting everyone the hell out of the way and tossing it up to your best WR is so simple

I like the discussion of TEs in that link. If you get a Gronk, adapt the offense a little. But don't depend on TEs. College players can't be that versatile, not enough time.

I think that's why Dino decided to lean a bit more heavily on running Dungey. There was nothing at the line of scrimmage for anyone to worry about. They got spread out and just covered our guys since our RB's weren't a threat. Now that Dungey is picking up a lot of yards running - it's balanced again - and you can sling it or run for big yards. I'm thinking Dungey is going to run half the time. Must be driving the LBs nuts.

no wonder.

we always rose in the polls after playing Idle.

upload_2016-10-25_18-26-20.jpeg

Pitt and NC State have two of the worst passing defenses in the country. If we're going to win two more thats the only place it will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom