A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Making the I81 Decision... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Making the I81 Decision...

I live in Rochester and it was not a tunnel nor was it entirely below street level and it is not the entire 'inner loop' that's being filled in and they are not having a hard time selling it.
They are filling in a 2/3 of a mile portion of the 'inner loop' on the east side of downtown that's the economically advantaged where mansions line East Ave and the hip part of town Park Ave is not far away. Its providing 5 large parcels of acreage of street level develop-able land for more apartments and businesses and possible enhancements to the Museum of Play.
The first couple of parcels were open to bid and 3 of them have advanced to the next level of being analyzed.

I haven't been back to Rochester in a few years and didn't know about this.
That area has a ton of potential for more. Great to hear this news.

Here's the issue with tunnel

Trucks cannot transport anything considered hazardous in it. Shampoo can be considered a hazardous good based on SDS. Trucking industry would be fudged by tunnel and the prices down the line would increase. More truck traffic on 481 and 690 would make those routes a mess

Trucks cannot transport anything considered hazardous in it. Shampoo can be considered a hazardous good based on SDS. Trucking industry would be fudged by tunnel and the prices down the line would increase. More truck traffic on 481 and 690 would make those routes a mess
I believe beefing up 481 and 690 is part of the bypass/boulevard plan.

Will the 10 year "big dig" come to the Cuse? Think about it, years of kickbacks, billions for the taking. Boston some 3 billion couldn't be accounted for. LMAO.

As long as SU benefits from those "kickbacks" so that alleged Dome reno actually happens vs. a prolonged tease...I'm good with it. ;)

I think it was more because Michael Bragman didn't want the stadium moved from his district. He was the CNY power broker back then and he pushed hard to keep it there. I think he was thrown out of office for corruption shortly afterwards.

I was told racism also played a significant role. The Simones didn't want the stadium downtown because they were concerned they would have to deal with a lot of black kids trying to get into games.

I know it was 20 years ago, but that north side neighborhood is a crap hole now. Was it that different 20+ years ago?

I know it was 20 years ago, but that north side neighborhood is a crap hole now. Was it that different 20+ years ago?
No. Nothing changed by building a new stadium next to the old one. It didn't drive any new development, gentrification, etc.

Stadiums are questionable investments but there is good historical evidence building a baseball stadium (where there are at least 7o events guaranteed each year) in a blighted downtown area can play a big role in turning the area around.

Like others have said, this was a once in a lifetime opportunity that was wasted.

Actually hadn't thought of that. That's actually a real plus for the tunnel if you ask me. Trucks are often involved in accidents through that interchange and segment of roadway it's just tight for them.

If they are doing this it really should be built under Townsend street via the empty lots West of the rail line the alignment is better to the north segment and Townsend is very wide allowing for exits with less impact. AND the current highway stays open during construction.

It would only affect trucks labeled explosive or corrosive...Etc. They would take 481

half and half. it wasn't a tunnel but it wasn't at street level. they had to fill it in with an incredible amount of dirt. and they're having trouble selling the new land, i think. (you guys complaining about miner should get a load of lovely warren)

building a tunnel is nuts in my opinion

Yes, it was a depressed highway. Still, below grade, requiring pumping to avoid flooding. No place for snow to go when you plow.

Yes, it was a depressed highway. Still, below grade, requiring pumping to avoid flooding. No place for snow to go when you plow.
oh it was depressed alright

i was one of the few people that ever used it ten years ago and it always felt so odd to never see other cars on it

the track record of urban planners is not very good

the tunnel is a ridiculous idea which is why it will probably be done. DeFrancisco has really dropped the ball on this one, caving into pressure from outside interests. The Save81 group has successfully pushed their agenda of fear mongering with little basis in fact so the state can put the city under 7 to 10 years of construction to "save" the Pilot gas station and make sure the NIMBY's in Dewitt keep 481 for their local traffic.

the tunnel is a ridiculous idea which is why it will probably be done. DeFrancisco has really dropped the ball on this one, caving into pressure from outside interests. The Save81 group has successfully pushed their agenda of fear mongering with little basis in fact so the state can put the city under 7 to 10 years of construction to "save" the Pilot gas station and make sure the NIMBY's in Dewitt keep 481 for their local traffic.
The voting base has changed bigtime since Defrancisco got in office. Northside used to be a Italian/German neighborhood. Today the area has so many different immigrants that have different priorities that the only thing that matters is the farmers market,not Destiny up there.

Of course King Cuomo got involved. Imagine the bid rigging for this job!
With the Feds investigating Cuomo right now and the fact that the highest paid state employee was very greedy it killed the Marcy NY. chip plant. With Preet hot on the tail of Cuomo I would expect him to stay farther than arms length on this if he knows what is good for him. Expect Hochul to be called Governor Hochul soon.That Marcy cancellation cost central N.Y. thousands of jobs that was to last about 5 years.People are pissed and want actions.

One thing to (hopefully) remember - DeFrancisco and Mayor Miner were both against the Destiny expansion, and Congel is clearly behind the tunnel option nonsense. So hopefully old grudges re-assert themselves and this doesn't get very far.

The voting base has changed bigtime since Defrancisco got in office. Northside used to be a Italian/German neighborhood. Today the area has so many different immigrants that have different priorities that the only thing that matters is the farmers market,not Destiny up there.
the whole north side business corridor on Salina St. will be affected, there are a few powerful people that own property there but I agree with the farmer's market being the biggest business and having the most vocal contingent. I would think the last thing they (farmer's market owners) would want is to have that part of the city wiped out due to tunnel construction

One thing to (hopefully) remember - DeFrancisco and Mayor Miner were both against the Destiny expansion, and Congel is clearly behind the tunnel option nonsense. So hopefully old grudges re-assert themselves and this doesn't get very far.
I'd like to believe this to be true but Miner's on her way out and after watching DeFrancisco during the open forum at Henninger, it was clear he is pushing for the tunnel.

The tunnel is a dumb idea, I lived in Boston During the big dig years, absolute s*** show. It was way over budget and took twice as long. That being said, my wife and I visited destiny to go see Manchester by the Sea yesterday. It was our first time in a year and neither one of us need to go back again for another year. While I hope for its success I still think a boulevard is a better idea

Why does Syracuse need a $3B tunnel? That's seems like an exorbitant waste of money and time for a major project that a small city doesn't need.

What's the problem with revamping the current I-81 so it's up to standards and extends the useful life?

I think a giant catapault that launches cars South to North over the city would be the best option.

Why does Syracuse need a $3B tunnel? That's seems like an exorbitant waste of money and time for a major project that a small city doesn't need.

What's the problem with revamping the current I-81 so it's up to standards and extends the useful life?

I think a giant catapault that launches cars South to North over the city would be the best option.
the existing 81 is not compliant with today's federal safety standards, if they replace it with a new viaduct it would be taller and wider and 27 buildings would have to be razed to make way for it. Including some historic property on E. Genesee St.

Syracuse is a medium sized metro area...and the crossroads of Upstate NY. A tunnel of limited length could be quite beneficial to run through traffic through the city center. If the freeway was built going around the western suburbs and connected to I-90 and on up to the BVille area a tunnel could be avoided. If they could put it in (tunnel) and keep I-81 up for awhile it would help traffic.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom