ACC Conference Matchups are announced for this season and next | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Conference Matchups are announced for this season and next

yeah, the BC game in The Dome was a freaking cakewalk last year...
I mean c'mon. Congrats BC beat us last year. They won 7 games last year. I would rather play BC x2 than Pitt x2 and we beat Pitt twice last year. I mean your commit is ridiculous. BC hasn't made the tournament since 2009. Pitt has made the tournament every year since 2001 except 1 season in 2011. Pitt's program >>>>>> Boston College's program. Yet because BC beat us last year in our worst performance means BC isn't a cakewalk. We should beat BC 8 out of 10 times I would be happy beating Pitt 6 out of 10 times.

I hope Syracuse fans are glad to be in the ACC now. ACC fans are happy to have you. Here's next year's conference lineup for Maryland to show what might have happened for Syracuse if the B1G had called Syracuse before the ACC did:

Home: Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
Away: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue
Home/Away: Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers

Good luck selling tickets for that schedule, Terps! That Rutgers-Maryland rivalry is really going to sizzle!

Wish we weren't locked into BC and Pitt. BC does absolutely nothing for me, and I'm sure most feel the same. Give me Louisville twice every year and call it a day. I'm sure Cards fans would feel the same way. I like playing Pitt, but wish we could rotate between them and someone else for that other locked in opponent.

Two games against Va Tech is as brutal as it gets from a fan perspective. Disgusting. Gross. Ick. Pretty much any other opponent is more desirable as a home/home opponent.

All of these predictions are absurd.
Dude I honestly can't understand you. MULTIPLE college basketball writers have UVA and you say that is absurd and I can't understand how the hell you say that. Malcolm Brogdon was UVA's best player last year and he was only a Sophomore. Brogdon is a stud and Tobey from UVA was only a Freshman this year. You don't follow college hoops if you don't think UVA is a top 10-20 team preseason. Joe Harris got all the hype preseason but he was UVA's 3rd best player as the season progressed.

Wish we weren't locked into BC and Pitt. BC does absolutely nothing for me, and I'm sure most feel the same. Give me Louisville twice every year and call it a day. I'm sure Cards fans would feel the same way. I like playing Pitt, but wish we could rotate between them and someone else for that other locked in opponent.

Two games against Va Tech is as brutal as it gets from a fan perspective. Disgusting. Gross. Ick. Pretty much any other opponent is more desirable as a home/home opponent.

I am tired of playing Lville, they always have our number. Next year you are going to be glad we are playing Bc and Va tech twice.

Dude I honestly can't understand you. MULTIPLE college basketball writers have UVA and you say that is absurd and I can't understand how the hell you say that. Malcolm Brogdon was UVA's best player last year and he was only a Sophomore. Brogdon is a stud and Tobey from UVA was only a Freshman this year. You don't follow college hoops if you don't think UVA is a top 10-20 team preseason. Joe Harris got all the hype preseason but he was UVA's 3rd best player as the season progressed.

I am sorry but Uva isn't Duke or Unc, they don't have great recruiting classes, and they haven't proven the ability to constantly reload. Don't kid yourself Harris and Mitchell are big losses. They will be a good team, but top ten is a bit of a reach.

I am sorry but Uva isn't Duke or Unc, they don't have great recruiting classes, and they haven't proven the ability to constantly reload. Don't kid yourself Harris and Mitchell are big losses. They will be a good team, but top ten is a bit of a reach.
Good god their has to be ten teams in the top 10. Having UVA as one of those teams IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO STRETCH. You reasoning is such a joke it boggles my mind. Every season UVA has had under Tony Bennett they have gotten better the following season. They have shown they can be a good program my god. UVA should be a preseason top 15 team with the talent on their roster for next season.

Malcolm Brogdon was UVA's best player last year and he was only a Sophomore. Brogdon is a stud.
I had been a believer that he's "a stud" as well, but he really disappointed in the ncaa tourney - nice, solid player (as is Perrantes) but not the kind of guy to take a team on his back. Again, they'll be very good and win a bunch of games, but they won't be as good as this past year.

I had been a believer that he's "a stud" as well, but he really disappointed in the ncaa tourney - nice, solid player (as is Perrantes) but not the kind of guy to take a team on his back. Again, they'll be very good and win a bunch of games, but they won't be as good as this past year.
Brogdon was better than any Sophomore on our roster last year. I trust he will get better over the next 2 years. He will be on the preseason ACC first team. I also like Tobey's game.

They were barely in the top ten this year, they had an incredibly favorable acc schedule last year. Who is replacing Harris and Mitchell? Who is their great incoming freshman next year?

Excited to go down to Atlanta for the Georgia Tech game. I might try to make it to UNC as well.

Excited to go down to Atlanta for the Georgia Tech game. I might try to make it to UNC as well.
I'm in too. I just hope JarHead's and my track record going to GTech games goes in the opposite direction. If not he and I might have to be banned from every attending another one.

I'm in too. I just hope JarHead's and my track record going to GTech games goes in the opposite direction. If not he and I might have to be banned from every attending another one.
Yeah the football game this past October was my first...We had a good time in Atlanta but the rainy game coupled with the complete beatdown was pretty disappointing.

My guess for next year are we play NC State and Virginia home/home. Duke at home, Louisville at home, Miami on the road, and the inverse of all our regular season matchups from this year.

I don't know about that. First, which two teams were designated as your conference rivals? You will play them twice every year.

On the other hand, it is worth noting that seven different players led Virginia in game scoring this past season, and six of them did it at least twice. Five of the latter group return. It is also worth mentioning that neither Harris nor Mitchell averaged as many as 30 mpg this past season while nine players did get double digits in minutes, and a tenth averaged more than 9 mpg. Only two players averaged double-digit points, and no one more than 15 ppg. Finally, five of the returnees will be third yearmen (although both Brogdon and Gill have redshirts behind them). Under Bennett's tutelage, it has become reasonable to expect a significant performance improvement after two seasons of play. It was that way with both Harris and Mitchell. Especially, Mitchell. The same was true of Mike Scott (now with the Hawks), also. What is unknown about next year's team is whether they can re-create the same sort of chemistry that the 2014 squad possessed. I'd like to think they can, especially with Perrantes at the point, but you never know until they lace up their sneakers. You are right about Virginia not getting the same sort of classes that UNC and Duke sign, but, then again, UVa won't be relying on true frosh, either. Also, while Virginia's 2014 conference schedule might be worth criticizing, it was the hand they were dealt, and it was the one they played. I think they played it pretty well. Out of 16 conferences wins, only four were by fewer than double digits, and, for the conference's regular season (wins & losses), UVa averaged 12.9 points per game more than their opponents. Virginia may, or may not, be a Top Ten team next season, but with the new paradigm of intercollegiate basketball (and one & dones), teams with experience and upperclass leadership tend to do better than those which rely on true frosh, no matter how many recruiting stars were next to their names when they signed their LOI's. Sadly, we're going to have to wait another seven or eight months to discover who is closer to the truth.

I don't know about that. First, which two teams were designated as your conference rivals? You will play them twice every year.

On the other hand, it is worth noting that seven different players led Virginia in game scoring this past season, and six of them did it at least twice. Five of the latter group return. It is also worth mentioning that neither Harris nor Mitchell averaged as many as 30 mpg this past season while nine players did get double digits in minutes, and a tenth averaged more than 9 mpg. Only two players averaged double-digit points, and no one more than 15 ppg. Finally, five of the returnees will be third yearmen (although both Brogdon and Gill have redshirts behind them). Under Bennett's tutelage, it has become reasonable to expect a significant performance improvement after two seasons of play. It was that way with both Harris and Mitchell. Especially, Mitchell. The same was true of Mike Scott (now with the Hawks), also. What is unknown about next year's team is whether they can re-create the same sort of chemistry that the 2014 squad possessed. I'd like to think they can, especially with Perrantes at the point, but you never know until they lace up their sneakers. You are right about Virginia not getting the same sort of classes that UNC and Duke sign, but, then again, UVa won't be relying on true frosh, either. Also, while Virginia's 2014 conference schedule might be worth criticizing, it was the hand they were dealt, and it was the one they played. I think they played it pretty well. Out of 16 conferences wins, only four were by fewer than double digits, and, for the conference's regular season (wins & losses), UVa averaged 12.9 points per game more than their opponents. Virginia may, or may not, be a Top Ten team next season, but with the new paradigm of intercollegiate basketball (and one & dones), teams with experience and upperclass leadership tend to do better than those which rely on true frosh, no matter how many recruiting stars were next to their names when they signed their LOI's. Sadly, we're going to have to wait another seven or eight months to discover who is closer to the truth.
good luck with that

good luck with that
UVA will be picked ahead of SU preseason next year in the ACC standing. They have way more proven players returning than we do. I expect to beat UVA at the Dome, but they are going to be good again next year.

UVA will be picked ahead of SU preseason next year in the ACC standing. They have way more proven players returning than we do. I expect to beat UVA at the Dome, but they are going to be good again next year.
I wasn't talking to you

Bumping the thread

It is very apparent to me that the ACC has bought into the Big 4. Duke, UNC, Ville and Cuse are the four programs that move the needle for ESPN. The ACC isn't stupid...these four will and should get showcased a bit more. It sucks for our win-loss record but I always want Cuse to play in the big games.

Bumping the thread

It is very apparent to me that the ACC has bought into the Big 4. Duke, UNC, Ville and Cuse are the four programs that move the needle for ESPN. The ACC isn't stupid...these four will and should get showcased a bit more. It sucks for our win-loss record but I always want Cuse to play in the big games.
I don't see the Big 4 established yet. I agree its true in theory, but ESPN didn't force any protected rivalry changes. If that were the case I think the ACC would make Pitt and Syracuse change protected rivals in Louisville and Boston College. I wouldn't want to trade BC for Louisville because I want an easier schedule, but ESPN would want two Syracuse-Louisville games a la UNC-Duke, but they didn't make the switch so I don't think the ACC deemed them Big 4 showcase. I think ESPN got Syracuse-Duke x2 for next year and the ACC did that bullet. Our road schedule for 2015-2016 is a bloody gauntlet. @Duke, @North Carolina, @Pitt, @Louisville, @Virginia, @Florida State.

I don't see the Big 4 established yet. I agree its true in theory, but ESPN didn't force any protected rivalry changes. If that were the case I think the ACC would make Pitt and Syracuse change protected rivals in Louisville and Boston College. I wouldn't want to trade BC for Louisville because I want an easier schedule, but ESPN would want two Syracuse-Louisville games a la UNC-Duke, but they didn't make the switch so I don't think the ACC deemed them Big 4 showcase. I think ESPN got Syracuse-Duke x2 for next year and the ACC did that bullet. Our road schedule for 2015-2016 is a bloody gauntlet. @Duke, @North Carolina, @Pitt, @Louisville, @Virginia, @Florida State.

I'm not sure if this is what you were saying (apologies if it wasn't) but I think they gave us BC because otherwise our schedule would be brutal. We still have two games each against Pitt and Duke this year, and then Pitt and UNC the next year. I think it would be too much to play Pitt twice, Louisville twice and either Duke or UNC twice.

Just a little bump in case anyone wants to review what was said last spring. Slainte!

UVA is trying hard to make it the Big 5...great game yesterday.