ACC / ESPN Deal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC / ESPN Deal

I'm truly naive and not in the loop, but when they brought us and Pitt in the assumption was that the windfall would be 2-3 mil more per team, right? Getting 4 mil is gotta to be a success, or do the years of the deal offset that increase?

That's correct. The long speculation was a deal netting each school 15 million.

that's the way i read it and the same for b.c. so some years we will have 2 Friday games and if they come in one of the 14 years we have a game in new jersey that leaves 3 Saturday home games, one which will be against a d2 or scrub team. looks like people got their Saturdays back. sucks.

The reference is to ESPN's rights, not SU and BC's obligation. ESPN has the right to three friday night games a year. 1) BC hosts, 2) SU hosts, 3) Thanksgiving Friday both opponents TBD.

The reference is to ESPN's rights, not SU and BC's obligation. ESPN has the right to three friday night games a year. 1) BC hosts, 2) SU hosts, 3) Thanksgiving Friday both opponents TBD.

However, doesn't mean we won't be playing BC on Thanksgiving Friday afternoon on a yearly basis...or Friday night. Seems like they want this game locked in place as a rivalry game, but I hate the date.

"The ACC's previous deal brought in an average of about $72 million in TV money annually, which the league distributes evenly among its 12 members. That's an average of about $6 million per school. This new deal would produce $155 million in TV revenue a year, or $11.07 million for the 14 ACC schools. The schools earn additional dollars through BCS payments, bowl games and NCAA tournament units."
Kevin McNamara

The deal gives ESPN title sponsorship rights beyond football to the ACC’s other championships, including men’s and women’s basketball. Those sponsorship deals are subject to the ACC’s approval.
AP

These numbers sound low. I think the $6 mil per team was before the 2003-04 poaching, and the 11 to 13 mil per team was the renegotiated contract with the 12 teams before SU and Pitt. I would have to think the new deal is closer to the $17 mil number than the $11 mil number. That's New NBE territory.

It goes to show that Pitt and SU are worth roughly 1/3 of the entire ACC to ESPN.

ESPN's article seems to clear things up:

The new deal also adds 14 more football games, including three Friday night games (one of which, hosted by Boston College or Syracuse, to be played the day after Thanksgiving).

Still not sure...now it sounds like the only for sure Friday game for Cuse will be Thanksgiving Friday. I hope the lawyers are better than the kids writing these articles.

So SU and Pitt should be due payments of $24 million (12*4) each from the ACC schools. We essentially boosted their TV money by $40 million over the 10 year deal they just signed.

So BC and SU will play every year on Friday night the day after Thanksgiving.
good lord. i read it as on thanks friday Syr and BC will alternate hosting games, not necessarily v each other.

in other words

'13 tba@ Syr
'14 tba@ BC
'15 tba@ Syr
'16 tba@ BC

etc etc...

:noidea:

is a friday after thanksgiving game all that bad other than probably many kids wont be around? depending on game time, you could black friday shop and still see the game, many people have the day off and my HS are long done and going to boston on a friday is an easy trip if its a day game if it was a BC game.

good lord. i read it as on thanks friday Syr and BC will alternate hosting games, not necessarily v each other.

in other words

'13 tba@ Syr
'14 tba@ BC
'15 tba@ Syr
'16 tba@ BC

etc etc...

:noidea:

That's the way I read it. Of the three Friday night games, one will be the day after Thanksgiving AND hosted by either BC or Syracuse. It does not mean that they will play each other on that day, but they could. My guess is that every other year SU will host a day after Thanksgiving day game. It would be akin to the Cowboys and Lions hosting a game each Thanksgiving.

is a friday after thanksgiving game all that bad other than probably many kids wont be around? depending on game time, you could black friday shop and still see the game, many people have the day off and my HS are long done and going to boston on a friday is an easy trip if its a day game if it was a BC game.

No HS games to compete against either.

No I think SU and BC said we will bite the bullet and schedule 1 Friday game a piece during the season. The Friday after Thanksgiving can be a marque rivalry game since most people have that day off.

Is it? The b12 is currently getting 20mil per excluding tier3 rights. Adding FSU and Clemson would definitely allow for negotiation.
Even if they don't for football and men's basketball, I think the ACC will align in geographically based divisions for the other sports, which will keep travel costs for the schools at reasonable levels.

If Clemson or FSU were to move to the Big 12, their travel costs would skyrocket. The lack of bridge schools between them and the rest of the conference create major roadblocks.

Closest Big 12 cities to Tallahassee
Austin 869 miles, 14 hours 9 minutes
Stillwater 1004 miles, 16 hours 51 minutes
Norman 1068 miles 17 hours 2 minutes

Closest Big 12 cities to Clemson
Stillwater 977 miles 16 hours 18 minutes
Norman 984 miles 16 hours 25 minutes
Dallas 904 miles 15 hours 14 minutes

It will be brutal for teams or fans to drive and really expensive to fly.

This is worst-case scenario, as far as I'm concerned. Not a chance I'm ever spending a Thanksgiving eve in Boston or Syracuse. I never liked the move to the ACC in the first place. Now it just keeps getting worse. I was really looking forward to an October weekend in Boston.:eek:
I am sorry this is not going to work out well for you cuseguy. I am sure it doesn't help your situation but the SU-BC football games were going to be played on Thanksgiving weekend even if SU stayed in the Big East.

Even if they don't for football and men's basketball, I think the ACC will align in geographically based divisions for the other sports, which will keep travel costs for the schools at reasonable levels.

If Clemson or FSU were to move to the Big 12, their travel costs would skyrocket. The lack of bridge schools between them and the rest of the conference create major roadblocks.

Closest Big 12 cities to Tallahassee
Austin 869 miles, 14 hours 9 minutes
Stillwater 1004 miles, 16 hours 51 minutes
Norman 1068 miles 17 hours 2 minutes

Closest Big 12 cities to Clemson
Stillwater 977 miles 16 hours 18 minutes
Norman 984 miles 16 hours 25 minutes
Dallas 904 miles 15 hours 14 minutes

It will be brutal for teams or fans to drive and really expensive to fly.

You forgot Morgantown...the gem of WV...where the locals will be glad to assist you to your seats.

@DavidTeelatDP
Swofford said #ACC could have played more Friday night games. Didn't out of respect to southern HS football. BC, Cuse wanted to host Fri.

@DavidTeelatDP
Swofford said #ACC could have played more Friday night games. Didn't out of respect to southern HS football. BC, Cuse wanted to host Fri.
interesting.

so BC and Cuse said ok to friday, but they wanted the plum home game on the mothership thanks friday afternoon as a concession.

id say that means Cuse v BC will never be on thanks fri.

hows that strike ya cuseguy??

;)

The Backyard Brawl has been contested mostly on the Friday after Thanksgiving in recent years. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is one hell of a deal for PITT/SU gents. Don't get sucked in to this "Tier 3" poppycock by the Big12 trolls as NCST just sold theirs for $49 million dollars and we/you will be free to do the same (although I don't see PITT being able to get that much...).

I am interested in the Grant of Rights aspect of this which hasn't been mentioned by ESPN/ACC. Will this new deal be enough to keep everybody happy? I sure hope so. I think we will find that our collective move to the ACC is the best thing that ever happened to our programs.

You forgot Morgantown...the gem of WV...where the locals will be glad to assist you to your seats.
Ha. Yeah you did forget Morgantown. Travel costs may be a concern for Clemson, but they would be negligible for FSU. Especially now with Cuse and Pitt in the mix. Still think FSU stay's put, but if they think they can get an extra 10 mil a year by leaving, I don't see how they could turn it down.

I am sorry this is not going to work out well for you cuseguy. I am sure it doesn't help your situation but the SU-BC football games were going to be played on Thanksgiving weekend even if SU stayed in the Big East.

I realize that, Tom. Thanks for your sympathy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom