ACC / ESPN Deal | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

ACC / ESPN Deal

Not sure if you follow Dennis Dodd, but his tweets support a lot of the stuff you have been saying:

twitter.com/dennisdodd:

"I'm seeing a lot of FSU-to-Big 12 stuff that makes me scratch my head"

"If SEC does a network that's going to dominate the market. How then does an FSU network work in a state where UF is clearly No. 1?"

"Two things: I'm still of the opinion that the ONLY collegiate networks that will work are BTN (done) and SEC if it starts one ..."

"No. 2: Why does Texas want another team in the league that can beat it?"

"As I've always said you're either a market or a brand in terms of conference hopping. Clemson is neither. FSU is maybe one."

"Clemson and FSU went from $10 a year to $17 a year in about a year. That's pretty stout."
i dont follow.

but all im doing using common sense, apparently he is too.

everytime i try to grasp why fsu and clemson would leave the ACC, everytime i try to think outside the box, the only conclusion i come to is that its as stupid and useless as the occupy wall st movement.

dont do something just to do something.

if the goal is a title, then stay in the acc, go 12-0 and you will be in the final 4. moving to the SEC makes going 12-0 that much harder. 11-1 too.

i dont follow.

but all im doing using common sense, apparently he is too.

everytime i try to grasp why fsu and clemson would leave the ACC, everytime i try to think outside the box, the only conclusion i come to is that its as stupid and useless as the occupy wall st movement.

dont do something just to do something.

if the goal is a title, then stay in the acc, go 12-0 and you will be in the final 4. moving to the SEC makes going 12-0 that much harder. 11-1 too.

Why is this so hard to understand?

hey sparky, can you tell me why you hate swofford??

the man who picked off 5 BigEast teams into the ACC, forced a 6th to bend over in texas and saved his conference name forever??

im a little confused on this.

if your arguement is 'but the sec got more $$!!'...then dont respond.

if you think the bevo got more $$ youre foolish. the real #s arent out there yet.

Fair question, "Sparky". I addressed it elsewhere.

1) Swofford is UNC-Centric. Whatever he pretends, he will always do what he believes to benefit and protect UNC first and foremost.
2) Swofford is not consistent. When Clemson screwed up, he wanted to drop the axe, far exceeding what the NCAA dished out. UNC gets a slap on the wrist, the NCAA had to increase the "self imposed" penalties. Swofford should have known better and should have had the character to propose stiffer penalties than what the NCAA proposed. He leads the ACC and should show no favoritism. Now we find that UNC is even deeper in the muck and we will not see Swofford step up and address it until he is forced to do so.
3) Swofford basically took the first ESPN offer to get into the current deal. He did not use good advisors. I was critical then, but as you see, I am limited to posting my opinion.
4) Swofford and others stated we would wait for the other conferences to negotiate their deals before starting to re-negotiate. Then he jumps on the early ESPN offer - history repeats itself!
5) The new deal gives away all rights to all sports. ESPN made a big gain here, especially in baseball and lacrosse. As the ACC chief, it is his duty to have vision and see what is coming. Both are growing in viewership which means ESPN just purchased Manhattan for $24 in beads.
6) The new deal is extended an additional four years.
7) Swofford is too hoops oriented. As commissioner, he must balance everything. Football has suffered, though much of the perception of ACC football MUST fall on FSU, Miami and Clemson (VATech is not respected here in Texas, they still can't win the big games), still, as commissioner, the blame is laid at his feet.
8) Swofford is probably a good #2/3 man, but not a #1. He has no vision of what the ACC can be. He is a stronger version of Marinatto, but not Delane, Slive of the Pac 12 commissioner.

I agree with your position on him knowing enough to take Big East teams, removing them from future B1G plans an locking up the eastern seaboard, weakening the Big East.

I also agree that we do not know the precise numbers, nt really an issue. Considering ACC performance as of late, they do not deserve the higher payouts. Also, as a Syracuse fan, I am still happy to see such a large increase from what the Big East pays.

I've also held consistently that the Bevo 10 is not worth the money to deal with Texas. I live outside Houston, even some Longhorn fans can't believe what Texas gets away with. Non-Longhorn fans use every derogatory adjective they can to describe Texas.

As for comparing to the SEC, the ACC cannot. The football has been weak too long. However, this is cyclical, which is why I dislike the contract extension. The 80's/early 90's belonged to Miami and FSU, the ACC can turn it around.

1) Swofford is UNC-Centric. Whatever he pretends, he will always do what he believes to benefit and protect UNC first and foremost.
You keep saying this, but it doesn't ring true. If you believe it to be true, fine. But 67% of the conference (soon to be almost 72%) is located outside of North Carolina. [And if we are talking only UNC, that means more than 90% of the schools are not UNC, but you can do the math, I'm sure.] If 2/3 of the conference presidents (soon to be almost 3/4) felt the same way you did (that he is playing favorites with UNC or all the NC schools, Swofford would be out. Sorry, not buying it.

You keep saying this, but it doesn't ring true. If you believe it to be true, fine. But 67% of the conference (soon to be almost 72%) is located outside of North Carolina. [And if we are talking only UNC, that means more than 90% of the schools are not UNC, but you can do the math, I'm sure.] If 2/3 of the conference presidents (soon to be almost 3/4) felt the same way you did (that he is playing favorites with UNC or all the NC schools, Swofford would be out. Sorry, not buying it.
just like in life, no means yes.

when the powerful nc mafia says no to expansion, they really mean yes.

swofford is their puppet.

:rolling:

Kaiers UEO asked me to explain why I dislike Swofford, I gave reasons. One, presumably, would conclude they are my opinion. If you don't see favoritism, that's your opinion. It's OK to disagree.

Kaiers UEO asked me to explain why I dislike Swofford, I gave reasons. One, presumably, would conclude they are my opinion. If you don't see favoritism, that's your opinion. It's OK to disagree.
i may hate him at some point too, right now i just want to buy him lunch.

dinner looks like it may cost to much....

he put us in the ACC, and got us a huge tv deal. i dont see how anymore $$ would have been gained by holding out.

i may hate him at some point too, right now i just want to buy him lunch.

dinner looks like it may cost to much....

he put us in the ACC, and got us a huge tv deal. i dont see how anymore $$ would have been gained by holding out.

I am thankful for the ACC invite, too. I am happy to take $17MM, much better than what the Big East pays.

This thread makes me long for a "dislike" button.

I would have used it liberally.

*edit* Actually, a better option would be a "What?" button.

Kaiser, how is a 10mil/year pay increase hard to understand? To me, that is common sense. Swofford signed a very long term deal at a bad time. That's where he went wrong. Sure the pay increase looks good compared to the previous horrible deal. But it doesn't look good to FSU when they know that Iowa State's football team is going to be bringing in more revenue than theirs.

Kaiser, how is a 10mil/year pay increase hard to understand? To me, that is common sense. Swofford signed a very long term deal at a bad time. That's where he went wrong. Sure the pay increase looks good compared to the previous horrible deal. But it doesn't look good to FSU when they know that Iowa State's football team is going to be bringing in more revenue than theirs.
just so im clear...swofford is acting independently and without regard of the concerns and input of the university presidents who hired him.

gotcha.

christ what else did he do wrong??

schedule fsu for wed 9/5 at 8 opposite the cowboys v GIANTS???

iowa st getting 10million more than fsu?? come on.

Did not say Iowa State is getting 10 mil more, the 10 mil increase (conservative approximation) comes if FSU joins the big 12 with another team...but ISU will be making a few million more. Just like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Oregon State. FSU fans aren't happy about being financially handicapped compared to the rest of the cfb world. Building a top tier football program takes money.

Did not say Iowa State is getting 10 mil more, the 10 mil increase (conservative approximation) comes if FSU joins the big 12 with another team...but ISU will be making a few million more. Just like Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Oregon State. FSU fans aren't happy about being financially handicapped compared to the rest of the cfb world. Building a top tier football program takes money.

Ironically if they performed better on the field they would have made more money.

How exactly has the outside opinion of the ACC impacted the on-field performance of FSU? They get top 10-25 recruiting classes year in and year out yet they continually get beat by the likes of Wake Forest. Sure it takes money to BUILD a program they however are an established program which allowed a coach to over stay his usefulness and paid the consequences. So the premise is playing OU and Texas will somehow make them title contenders again? Oh what it's playing those guys and getting a few more million...that's the magic elixir. Sounds logical to me! /sarcasm

Ironically if they performed better on the field they would have made more money.

Very true. And I'd like to see the FSU of old. However, they shouldn't have to rely on winning BCS games to outearn any other non ACC team. The chick-fil-a bowl win against South Carolina broke ratings records for any non-bcs bowl game. The following is still there, but they are under compensated thanks to being in a league that puts basketball first.

How exactly has the outside opinion of the ACC impacted the on-field performance of FSU? They get top 10-25 recruiting classes year in and year out yet they continually get beat by the likes of Wake Forest. Sure it takes money to BUILD a program they however are an established program which allowed a coach to over stay his usefulness and paid the consequences. So the premise is playing OU and Texas will somehow make them title contenders again? Oh what it's playing those guys and getting a few more million...that's the magic elixir. Sounds logical to me! /sarcasm

It's not about titles. It's about money. FSU is in a budget crisis and is leaving money on the table by staying in the ACC. It's that simple.

Also, I don't even support this move. I really just got roped into defending it as a possibility because Kaiser was being a know it all dickhead. I'd prefer them to stay in the ACC and get back to dominating. But I'm not going to act like there is not a very simple upside in going to the big12.

Swofford signed a very long term deal at a bad time. That's where he went wrong.

I see this tossed around but I don't know the facts behind it. When did the ACC sign their original deal out to 2023?

The only thing I know for sure is that Swofford just signed a 4 year extension that made them a boatload more money.

The original deal at the time may have been a pretty good deal.

Very true. And I'd like to see the FSU of old. However, they shouldn't have to rely on winning BCS games to outearn any other non ACC team. The chick-fil-a bowl win against South Carolina broke ratings records for any non-bcs bowl game. The following is still there, but they are under compensated thanks to being in a league that puts basketball first.

The better FSU did the better the opportunities the ACC would have had bowl wise so there are a bunch of different angles to this. I wonder what would happen if the ACC did put a football first commish in place and how that would fly.

The better FSU did the better the opportunities the ACC would have had bowl wise so there are a bunch of different angles to this. I wonder what would happen if the ACC did put a football first commish in place and how that would fly.

Absolutely. Trust me. I understand that FSU shoulders some of the blame. But let's also not act like they completely fell off the college football map. They still have great ratings and the longest active bowl streak. Who knows on the football first commish front. I just hope they are trying to go to sixteen with a couple football schools in the mix (hopefully doing everything possible to get ND. Anything to get them back at the negotiating table with ESPN and keep pumping this deal up.

I see this tossed around but I don't know the facts behind it. When did the ACC sign their original deal out to 2023?

Last year. The original deal covered 12 years from 2011-12 to 2022-23.

Absolutely. Trust me. I understand that FSU shoulders some of the blame. But let's also not act like they completely fell off the college football map. They still have great ratings and the longest active bowl streak. Who knows on the football first commish front. I just hope they are trying to go to sixteen with a couple football schools in the mix (hopefully doing everything possible to get ND. Anything to get them back at the negotiating table with ESPN and keep pumping this deal up.

I'd love to see the Irish added to the mix as well and I'd hate to see FSU leave.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom