ACC / ESPN Deal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC / ESPN Deal

What were they getting before? 15m?

The addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which will increase the number of teams in the ACC to 14, allowed the league to reopen its current 12-year, $1.86 billion media rights deal with ESPN. Those terms provide each of the 12 existing schools with an average of $13 million a year over the life of the deal.

for tv viewing purposes i like the annual friday thanks game.

for roadtrip purposes, this fn blows.

Oh Lord

personally i like the thanksgiving friday game too. always have that day off and seems like there isn't much to do. if su-bc is always that day, it'll be a good home game and a good time for a roadie.

I'm truly naive and not in the loop, but when they brought us and Pitt in the assumption was that the windfall would be 2-3 mil more per team, right? Getting 4 mil is gotta to be a success, or do the years of the deal offset that increase?

ESPN had the ACC by the short hairs...the good news is ESPN/ACC is joined at the hip

IMO the opposite was true. ESPN needs ACC content. So why F the ACC over? Not only is the ACC making the least money of the 5 major conferences, they are stuck at that figure for 15 years! Unless there is an ACCN in the works, or ND is on its way, I would leave if I were Clemson.

The addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, which will increase the number of teams in the ACC to 14, allowed the league to reopen its current 12-year, $1.86 billion media rights deal with ESPN. Those terms provide each of the 12 existing schools with an average of $13 million a year over the life of the deal.

So by the addition of Pitt and SU we can say that we added about $4M/yr to each of the other ACC team's deal. They owe us. :)

One question is whether there is some sort of annual increase along the lines of a CPI bump just to account for inflation over a 15 year period.

Why? The money is similar.

Is it? The b12 is currently getting 20mil per excluding tier3 rights. Adding FSU and Clemson would definitely allow for negotiation.

Bees you can't rake leaves on Friday Evening

The way I read it SU/BC will be an annual Thanksgiving Friday game.
Really difficult to make a Friday game in Boston or Syracuse the day after Thanksgiving. I guess I can forget about ever seeing a SU-BC game live again.

Bees, get out of work Friday around 3:30, tailgate by 4:30. Watch game home Friday night and Saturday can be spent shuttling kids, working around the house, watching other games. I'm sorry but it works for me just fine. Friday nights are suppose to be fun. Tuesdays or Sunday's not so much

Same.
the only thing i can determine from this sentence

"Per the extension, ESPN has the right to televise three Friday ACC football contests annually which will include a standing commitment from Boston College and Syracuse to each host one game as well as an afternoon or evening game on Thanksgiving Friday."

is that the ACC needs better writers in their PR department

you can't tell whether "as well as..." refers to the "commitment from BC and Syracuse" or to "ESPN has the right to.."

maybe the whole sentence is grammatically correct, i'm not a great judge of that, but i do know it's confusing

I'm truly naive and not in the loop, but when they brought us and Pitt in the assumption was that the windfall would be 2-3 mil more per team, right? Getting 4 mil is gotta to be a success, or do the years of the deal offset that increase?
$2-3 M is my recollection

Is it? The b12 is currently getting 20mil per excluding tier3 rights. Adding FSU and Clemson would definitely allow for negotiation.
i think theyre holding out till they can join the jupiter 12 conference.

fsu and clemson to leave the ACC... :rolling:

:bat:

Oh Lord

that's the way i read it and the same for b.c. so some years we will have 2 Friday games and if they come in one of the 14 years we have a game in new jersey that leaves 3 Saturday home games, one which will be against a d2 or scrub team. looks like people got their Saturdays back. sucks.

This is worst-case scenario, as far as I'm concerned. Not a chance I'm ever spending a Thanksgiving eve in Boston or Syracuse. I never liked the move to the ACC in the first place. Now it just keeps getting worse. I was really looking forward to an October weekend in Boston.:eek:

the only thing i can determine from this sentence

"Per the extension, ESPN has the right to televise three Friday ACC football contests annually which will include a standing commitment from Boston College and Syracuse to each host one game as well as an afternoon or evening game on Thanksgiving Friday."

is that the ACC needs better writers in their PR department

you can't tell whether "as well as..." refers to the "commitment from BC and Syracuse" or to "ESPN has the right to.."

maybe the whole sentence is grammatically correct, i'm not a great judge of that, but i do know it's confusing
now i read it as the ACC will provide 1 game every thanks friday. the Cuse/BC thing is separate.

:noidea:

for tv viewing purposes i like the annual friday thanks game.

for roadtrip purposes, this fn blows.

Oh Lord

Kaiser...if you read the statement, one could also read into that it doesn't mean SU/BC will exclusively host a Friday Thanksgiving game...MattSarz is trying to check on it.

i think theyre holding out till they can join the jupiter 12 conference.

fsu and clemson to leave the ACC... :rolling:

:bat:

Oh Lord
Was the Jupiter 12 thing a joke? Well crafted, you should be proud of that one. I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, but I do know that FSU is not all happy with the ACC right now and also could use some help financially. I hope it doesn't happen but I think it is possible.

"The ACC's previous deal brought in an average of about $72 million in TV money annually, which the league distributes evenly among its 12 members. That's an average of about $6 million per school. This new deal would produce $155 million in TV revenue a year, or $11.07 million for the 14 ACC schools. The schools earn additional dollars through BCS payments, bowl games and NCAA tournament units."
Kevin McNamara

The deal gives ESPN title sponsorship rights beyond football to the ACC’s other championships, including men’s and women’s basketball. Those sponsorship deals are subject to the ACC’s approval.
AP

Was the Jupiter 12 thing a joke? Well crafted, you should be proud of that one. I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, but I do know that FSU is not all happy with the ACC right now and also could use some help financially. I hope it doesn't happen but I think it is possible.
yep all by myself sparky!!!

Oh Lord

So, we got $1-2M more than we thought, we are getting more teams on TV (women's bball should really benefit), we are guaranteed a NATIONAL game each year on Friday evening, and we're still complaining?

new conference hush hush

HQs moving to FL, Burt Reynolds will be commissioner and Loni Andersen will be head secretary.

Kaiser...if you read the statement, one could also read into that it doesn't mean SU/BC will exclusively host a Friday Thanksgiving game...MattSarz is trying to check on it.

true. the way it is worded the only facts to be drawn regarding su is that we have committed to hosting 1 game on a friday (and bc did the same). the iffy part is the thanksgiving friday. could be an acc game between any 2 teams or it could mean su-bc on that friday.

"The ACC's previous deal brought in an average of about $72 million in TV money annually, which the league distributes evenly among its 12 members. That's an average of about $6 million per school. This new deal would produce $155 million in TV revenue a year, or $11.07 million for the 14 ACC schools. The schools earn additional dollars through BCS payments, bowl games and NCAA tournament units."
Kevin McNamara

The deal gives ESPN title sponsorship rights beyond football to the ACC’s other championships, including men’s and women’s basketball. Those sponsorship deals are subject to the ACC’s approval.
AP

why are his numbers so much different?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom